Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Best Enduro bike for
  • gixerator
    Free Member

I was considering a Taniwha but have hit a hitch. Im looking for a weapon to use on epic days, Scotland and the occasional uplift. It has to have the ability to ride up without pushing out a haemmorroid . I already have a trail weapon that is my weekly ride (stumpy carbon evo 29er)
    Ideally answers of someone who has at least tried one

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well weapon.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

a right weapon

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Is it an enduro weapon you are looking for?

There are plenty of them around 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Townsend Hill Street cruiser or an emelle cougar

Rorschach
    Free Member

Finding the correct steed for your quiver is always a bind.You want gnarpoonage that you can rip on but with a bit of xxxc relish on the side.A quality whip is not easy to find but there are some quality dandyhorses out there.
    Good luck with that.

ajantom

He doesn’t need a weapon, he needs a tool.

djflexure

It has to have the ability to ride up without pushing out a haemmorroid

Have you considered an e-bike?

ahwiles
    Free Member

DaveyT’s got himself a new log-in?

Excellent work.

gixerator
    Free Member

Nope, not for me. Need to pedal up to enjoy the downs!

gixerator
    Free Member

I didnt think it was that bad a question. I must not have the right hand shake

ajantom

Use of the words steed, weapon, gnarpoon, etc. in a non-ironic manner will get you some gentle ribbing in these parts. No-one’s being nasty though 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

gentle ribbing

ajantom

You sir have a dirty mind. Well done.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I can’t even joke about endurowords like gnarwhale after the brilliance of “gnarsholes” being posted over the weekend. Apologies to whoever it was that I’ve forgotten.

scottfitz
    Free Member

gentle rubbing

gixerator
    Free Member

So we are 16 posts in and I know that weapon is a funny word. I dont tend to use this forum too much (or any) as Im either working or riding with a bit of family thrown in. I do recognise this comment “He doesn’t need a weapon, he needs a tool” as classic band wagon key board warrior. He is me and you sir have never met me. I will re post the question and try and use words less snigger worthy. Its difficult to get feedback on expensive bikes as most people think they are fantastic as the bike they have replaced is 5-10 years old and few ride back to back as demos cost £50 (unless you buy) and demo days are as rare as hens teeth.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d love to have a reason to buy a Liteville 601 – they look perfect for epic proper mountain riding. I think they’re about to launch the Mk4, so you might get a good deal on the current version. 30lbs and 190mm of travel!

Northwind

Serious answer, brace yourselves.

I was going to suggest something like a stumpy evo 29 tbh. Most of the big 29ers will do the job though. In fact most enduro bikes full stop, this is pretty much what they’re for.

br
    Free Member

I was going to suggest something like a stumpy evo 29 tbh. Most of the big 29ers will do the job though. In fact most enduro bikes full stop, this is pretty much what they’re for. [/I]

+1

If you’ve spare cash then spend some on it maybe?

arogers
    Free Member

I’ve been shopping around for a similar “epic weapon”. Only considering 29ers, as they’re clearly the future. I rode the Trek Slash, which is ace but didn’t feel quite right for me (and I really wanted it to). Specialized’s offerings were a bit meh – good bikes but I didn’t find them fun. Yeti SB5.5c is the standout so far. It just felt like the right bike in any situation, and FAST. Don’t be fooled by it “only” having 140mm of rear travel, it deals with rough terrain as well as most 160 bikes. I’d still like to try a Hightower but somehow I can’t see it being better than the Yeti. For reference, my current bike is a Giant Reign. I’ve also owned a Meta AM V4 and a Nomad in the last few years.

gixerator
    Free Member

Yeah I love the stumpy one of the best bikes ive owned. I do like to run two bikes and wanted something a little different. I could run a rasor sharp light hard tail but think id always wish I was riding the stumpy. I do find that in Scotland and bigger down days id like to ride something with more travel. I do like to ride up though so I know there would be a bit of a compromise.

gixerator
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. The Yeti is definately on the must try list. I havent ruled 27″ out totally although im not convinced with the plus revolution.

Where have you been doing your demo’s, has it been £50 a pop? The Nomad was also on the list how did you get on with that?

AlexSimon

If you want to lean more towards the down, I reckon the Pivot Firebird would be on my very short list.

Stevet1
    Free Member

<whisper> Evil following </whisper>

AlexSimon

If you want to stick with 29ers, then the list gets even shorter, but the Banshee Prime I rode was a beast.

Evil Wreckoning as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open re:quality control and returns.

Many are too close to your stumpy (Hightower, etc), so you’re on the fringe a bit.

Trek Slash 29er
    Spesh Enduro
    Capra
    Radon Swoop

Northwind

Mega 290 too. Or if you’ve got a billion pounds, the new Orange

stevied
    Free Member

they look perfect for epic proper mountain riding

They are brilliant bikes 🙂

gixerator
    Free Member

Hi Alex,

Im not set on 29. Its the total bike not the wheel size that guides me.

kayla1
    Free Member

Is a right weapon sort of the same thing as a proper tool?

gixerator
    Free Member

Depends if your looking in your mums top draw?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Bird can do the new Aeris 145 with the X-Fusion Metric fork, which is a properly burly fork – suggesting that the frame is more capable than “just” 145mm rear travel would suggest. I’m getting mine with the 160mm Lyrik which should be more than enough, and the geometry is really progressive in terms of Reach, ETT, and an upright seat angle so it climbs well. Worth a look I’d say.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a look at the thread about the new Orange Stage 5 and 6.

Either to buy one, or see what the poor people are riding and claiming is just as good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whyte

I’m really liking this atm. Lyriks, 170mm Reverb in large size and Eagle groupset…

I’d maybe change the shock, that’s all.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I think alot of the 160mm 650b bikes around will be too similar to what you have. I’d be looking at something more extreme like a 180mm slack 650b or a seriously slack and long 29er like a POLE or nicola. Having ridden the POLE it is definitely a GNARPOON WEAPON. It it scarily fast at time for a 140mm 29er frame. But you would need some pretty full on ENDURO terrain to make the most of it.

gixerator
    Free Member

The Whyte has a good spec especially the works model and my LBS has them to demo. The pivot and the yeti (maybe SB6) look good. I might try a Nomad if I can as well.

Marin
    Free Member

Orange 5. I know, I know but is great at going downhill and light enough to shoulder and carry up mountains in Alps. Good enought for downhill mayhem and all days epics.

finbar
    Free Member

What was the hitch with the Zerode?

gixerator
    Free Member

Finbar, The UK price and the NZ price and also the UK Wheel spec, Ive emailed Stif but nothing back yet.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Best Enduro bike for’ is closed to new replies.