Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Best detergent or chemical to clean stone?
  • huggis
    Free Member

I have an old wall which I’m looking to extend and freshen up. Issue is the new shiny granite rocks will look out of place next to the dull mossy mess that’s there! I have a power washer but wondered if any sort of detergent would be recommended?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Chlorine did my drive way. Nasty stuff but worked very well*

*not granite – concrete with small stones embedded.

Alternatively, go the other way and spray this onto the new wall for moss / lichen growth.

Mix the following together and bring to a boil stirring frequently:
    1 pint milk
    1 teaspoon flour
    1 teaspoon yeast
    1/2 teaspoon gelatin
    1 tablespoon green algae powder (Spirulina or chlorella may be obtained from the vitamin department at some grocery stores. Pet stores may carry fish food that is mostly algae.)
    1/16 teaspoon water soluble fertilizer with micronutrients (bloom boosting formula preferred, such as 15-30-15 or similar, NOT acid loving formula.)
    Remove from heat as soon as boiling commences, and cool to room temperature. The formula may be stored a few days in the refrigerator.
    Immediately prior to application, add:

2 teaspoons of lichen flakes collected from common lichens growing in a similar microenvironment to where the new lichens are wanted.
    2 teaspoons of healthy soil collected from an area near where lichens are currently growing.
    Shake or stir well.
    Use a paintbrush to apply this solution to the areas where you would like new lichens to grow. Apply as soon as practical after making the formula since this is a living, very bioactive mixture. For best results do not apply during a rain storm, or when rain is expected within a day.

rOcKeTdOg

diet coke gets oil off concrete

singletrackmind

I work next doot to a company called Lithofin .
    They do all sorts for preperations for stonework , and sealants
    See if there is anything on their website perhaps?
    If there is something and they dont post out small quantiities PM and I will try to sort summit out.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Got some of this to de-moss the patio–did the job without killing everything in sight
    http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/reviews/algon/organic-path-and-patio-cleaner/#customer-reviews

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

B&Q (and homebase) sell stuff made by HG, which I have been very impressed with in the past; http://uk.hg.eu/products/all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Best detergent or chemical to clean stone?’ is closed to new replies.