Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • best cycling socks?
  • fatmax

I need some new ones – what are everyone's favourites?

euain

For me, it's normally SmartWool

So most of the time – http://www.socksock.co.uk/product/1568/43/smartwool_performance_mens_phd_outdoor_light_crew

Winter it's some other SmartWool mid-weight socks or Defeet Woolie Boolies –
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/DeFeet_Woolie_Boolie_Cycling_Socks/5300004468/

trail_rat
    Free Member

endura baa baas

Andituk
    Free Member

Endura Coolmax at the moment, Sealskins in the winter. The freebies I got with MBUK a few months ago are pretty good too.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sockguy courtesy of TwinSix, did 24 solo in the same pair and they were great!

DezB
    Free Member

Gotta be DeFeet Aireators
    Got some free with Maximum Mountain Bike mag. How long ago has that magazine not even existed?! And the socks are still hole-less (unlike many other makes)

nickc

What properties do "cycling socks" have that mere "regualr socks" lack?

snowpaul
    Free Member

i use merino hiking socks = ace and cheap if bought in bulk – cycle socks = over priced and hyped up… have used in past and wasnt a revelation – do look good thou…

paul

jools182
    Free Member

I use bridgedale walking socks when its dry, and sealskins if its wet

bridgedales are awesome, they last forever

DezB
    Free Member

What "regular" socks are you referring to? Last time I looked in my local M&S there were sportssocksworksockscasualsocksanklesocksfootsockswalkingsocksrunningsocksgymsockssmartsockstubesockswoolsockscottonsockscottonsockswithlycra and a women's dept with similar. (didn't actually see any "regular" socks)

soobalias
    Free Member
    Oggles
    Free Member

My favourite pair are X Socks, lasted for years without even the slightest sign of a hole. Great arch support and padded ankle/heel patches.

marsdenman
    Free Member

I'm a cheapskate ..
    TK Maxx, sock section (you'd never have guessed that, would you 😉 )
    Ankle height sports socks whatever they have in stock, Black. pack of 3 pairs normally about £7?

ro
    Free Member

A tricky one this.

You have to consider aesthetics, wicking rate, UV protection, constriction of blood flow (could be A Good Thing or A Bad Thing), initial purchase price, longevity, elasticity, blah, blah…

Or you could just do what any normal soul would do and steal some sports socks from M&S.

fatmax

Oggles – I've used X-socks and like them a lot as they've been comfy and lasted ages, but remembered that people were raving about Woolie Boolie's etc.

chutney13
    Free Member

i use running bear lambswool socks, well for everything.
    http://www.runningbear.co.uk/results.php?Products_mnu=Socks&License_mnu=&button=Find

TooTall
    Free Member

DeFeet Woolie Boollies – great socks all year round.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So what advantage do thy have? I have tried a couple of pairs and they just made my feet ache.

High wool content standard socks for me

radoggair
    Free Member

normally just scour the websites looking for 'sock sale', find the cheapest and ones that look good and purchase them.

So far Cannondale summer carbon are good as are most oakley socks

oakley

elaineanne
    Free Member

cannondale carbon socks 😉 carbon ? really ? lol

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Merino Sealskinz in winter, in summer I got a pair of DeFeet socks from the now defunct Maxiumum Mountain Bike magazine, they've got to be the comfiest & coolest if it is warm.

X socks, got some a few years ago from one of those bike sales events, they had three pairs bundled together & priced at a fiver, likely to be a mistake, but at the till I just insisted that as all 3 were bundled & the price says £5, I'd have them for a fiver thank you. Still prefer the DeFeet ones though!

donks
    Free Member

Alpkit are doing 2 pairs for 13 quid I think, not that I have tried them but i fully intend to, usually there gear is cheap but good.

foxyrider
    Free Member

LIDL 🙂 4 pairs still going strong 🙂

nostoc
    Free Member

My favourites are Bridgedale Impact. They don't seem to make them any more but these may be equivalent but in boring colours:

http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Product.asp?ProductID=54

Alpkit ones are similar, a bit chunkier, and excellent value.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've always liked them in summer, but haven't ever been totally convinced by them until I tried the new Save our Soles ones which are bloomin excellent.

fubar
    Free Member

SOOBalias – Member
    http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merinowoolcyclingsocks.htm
    really liking these.

mine wore very quickly

belgianbob

Coolmax running socks are usually freely available in TKMaxx at a very agreeable price. Ideal summer cycling socks.
    For winter, Assos Early Winter merino or Woolie boolie socks.
    For VERY cold weather, Assos thermic (although a second pair of feet would probably be cheaper) are very good.

jamesb
    Free Member

Sealskins when its cold,
    otherwise Primark / JJB sports etc cheapo bundle of 5 for a £5er. End of day my socks get so horrible and gritty then will be binned after a while so stick to cheapies IMHO

yunki
    Free Member

dry ones

bassspine
    Free Member

nickc – Member

it's obvious, cycling socks cost more and wear out quicker

scaredypants

I got some teko(?) ones off wiggle – reduced

couple cotton (about 6 quid/pr) and couple merino (about 12/pr)

only worn teh cotton ones so far & only a couple of times, but ded nice fit (quite thick sole, good for me)

GGB_Andrew
    Free Member

Isn't the colour of the sock more important than the brand/quality??!

😉

Matbike
    Free Member

Any!!! With cotton.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘best cycling socks?’ is closed to new replies.