Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Best budget SLR for sport photography?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’ve been using a Nikon 1 for taking photos of riding and the dogs, but it doesn’t really keep up in lower light, or faster subjects.

I’m thinking of going back to a DSLR, but want to spend less than £400 overall including a kit lens. I don’t mind going refurb or mint condition secondhand either.

What would you guys recommend I should be looking at?

Cheers 🙂

Ricks

alanl
    Free Member

Any good make DSLR from the last 5 years should do that.
    I’ve got an old Olympus E400 that is as good enough for me as I need. More modern cameras may have better resolution etc, but in the real world, there isnt much difference – not enough for me to spend £600+ on a new body.
    Good variety of lenses/accessoires, then stick with Nikon/Canon, if you want something slight;y different, with a little less availability, then Olympus/Pentax/Sigma etc may suit.

badllama
    Free Member

Hi Ricks your going to struggle to get a good low light setup for that money.

On a tight budget I’d go Canon 40D (2nd hand) (6.5 fps (frame per second) and the Canon 75-300mm but if you can stretch your budget get the Canon L series 70-200 f4 (around £380.00 on Ebay)

Andy

Kamakazie

Pentax KS1 good reviews with favourable comments regarding its lie light performance.

butcher

On a tight budget I’d go Canon 40D

Might allow some nice glass, but not a great body for low light performance. Nice enough camera (I have the 30d) but old tech now. I’d go for something newer, if it’s something important to you. You can always pick up new lenses further down the line.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Hi Ricks your going to struggle to get a good low light setup for that money.

Good is relative. Compared to a Nikon 1 any newish aps-c sensor is going to be a good low light setup.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Spend the money on good glass

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A. Think about the settings you’re going to use and get the camera/lens/flash that does that.
    B. Think about the images that you want to take and get the kit that does that.
    C. Get any old DSLR are develop a technique that allows you to take photos within its limitations.
    Could you throw up some images that you’d like to replicate, please?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could almost take any body, but you need a fast zoomy lense, and they ain’t cheap even second hand

ampthill

I think you’d get a D300 for for that. Proper multi AF point tracking stuff

Lens? maybe a a 18-70 3.5-3.5

Don’t get too hung up on the old tech thing. A D7200 isn’t as much as a stop better than a D300.

A D90 gets the same sensor as the D300 but less good AF

The D7000 gets the 16MP sensor which was probably the last real jump in sensor technology

A 35mm f1.8 lens will make way more difference to light gathering than a newer sensor

How far away are the things you are photographing?

5thElefant
    Free Member

A newish body and a 70-200ish f4 would be a big step-up from the Nikon 1.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

The canon 70-200 f4 is cracking all round lens and not too heavy

The 70-200 2.8IS is an amazing bit of Glass but expensive and real heavy!

ampthill

Do we give a prize for the person over budget by the biggest margin?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pXbUbt]Cyclocross-2[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

D90 and 18-70

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cPPwkh]london 2012-16[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

D70 and 18 70

Both combinations well in budget

Cougar

Speaking as a Canon user,

You know Nikon. Stick with that.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nikon 1 has little in common with a Nikon dslr. I’d look at what deals are to be had, regardless of brand.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

You should pick up a used 70-200 f4 £300 or less and a pretty cheap body from below..with honest conditions etc

Or Gumtree if your feeling lucky

Click Me

And Me

rickon
    Free Member

Thanks chaps,

I’m struggling to see anything in the suggestions so far that fits in my budget.

My short list is going along the lines of:

Nikon 5200
    Nikon 3300
    Nikon d70
    Canon 100d
    Canon 750d

…..

Cheers

Ricks

ampthill

The Canon 70-200 is a better used buy than I thought. So apologies on budget doupts

A few here for under £300

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/EOS/Canon/Others#&&SortDirection=Ascending&PageIndex=5&SortExpression=

But I’d say a prime was a better bet as f4 isn’t that fast….

mboy
    Free Member

I’d go 2nd hand personally mate

Picked up a mint Canon 50D and a couple of lenses in the classifieds on here a few months ago for £200, it’s way better than anything newer for even double the budget IMO aside from the fact it doesn’t shoot video of course. The same seller, tastypixels, is selling a very little used 350D with lenses in the classifieds right now. Could be a good shout on a budget, and at least you wouldn’t be too precious about it on the trail!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

ampthill – Member

The Canon 70-200 is a better used buy than I thought. So apologies on budget doupts

A few here for under £300

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Lenses/Canon/EOS/Canon/Others#&&SortDirection=Ascending&PageIndex=5&SortExpression=

But I’d say a prime was a better bet as f4 isn’t that fast…

+1 ffordes especially when 15 mins away!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s probably just my screen, but some of those images above are horrendously over exposed. 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s probably just my screen…

Yes, it is.

skids
    Free Member

You would be lucky to get a lense for £400

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes, it is.

So is that snow on the trees?

5thElefant
    Free Member

So is that snow on the trees?

There’s blown highlights, but the subject is correctly exposed.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

But the backgrounds are horrendously over exposed then, and it’s not my screen. ❓

Kbrembo
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member

But the backgrounds are horrendously over exposed then, and it’s not my screen.

Geez…chill.

I wasn’t photographing the backgrounds…

I guess I need to work on my skills… living in the Highlands I’m not use to the bright sunshine we had on that day.

Lets help the chap get a new setup

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Geez…why so bothered?

Because there’s more to taking a decent photo than a list of equipment.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member

Geez…why so bothered?

Because there’s more to taking a decent photo than a list of equipment.

Ok…any tips?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Ok…any tips?

Expose for the subject, not the background? 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ok…any tips?

Where should I start?

EDIT:

Expose for the subject, not the background?

Sort out the background before thinking about the subject. 😉

ampthill

Kbrembo

Tips

Shoot RAW

Shoot pictures that don’t clip the highlights. I bet these haven’t clipped in RAW

In Post set exposure for the main subject

Darken the rest. In Lightroom I’d use the virtual neutral density filter

For me the bright grass under the rider distracts from the rider. Not too late to darken it

Three_Fish
    Free Member

EDIT – waaay too slow with this! Five or so posts above have it covered!

But the backgrounds are horrendously over exposed then, and it’s not my screen.

It’s not your screen. The shots are generally over-exposed, though maybe not “horrendously”.

Too many blown highlights, at least for my eyes. I’d have exposed the subject less in order to prevent at least some of those highlights. Of course, shooting in raw would have given plenty to play with. We all know why raw is so much better; right?

Kbrembo, try not to take it to heart. They’re pretty good shots in terms of composition, but could be better technically!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Kbrembo, try not to take it to heart. They’re pretty good shots in terms of composition, but could be better technically!

Cheers..No offense taken 🙂

ampthill – Member

Kbrembo

Tips

Shoot RAWTa for the tips..I always shoot RAW & Jpeg I do need to learn more on LR and PS

Just yanked some pics of the PC to help get this guy to choose a setup and didnt think it was a photo critique…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

You forgot the bokeh.
    😉
    As said, don’t take it to heart, Graham Watson was a true professional at dummy spitting if you critised his pictures. 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

Ok…any tips?

Get the biggest dick swinging zoom you can afford, wear it round your neck with pride. 8)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

That looks much better – loads more detail, more vibrant and much easier to look at, which is what it’s all about!

Ta for the tips..I always shoot RAW & Jpeg

If you shoot raw, there’s no need to produce a separate JPG unless you need to export an image immediately, you’re only taking up more card space.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

iain1775
    Free Member

Rickon

I have a Nikon D3100 for sale if your interested
    With the standard 18-55 battery, charger, and a camera bag
    Its getting on a bit but still produces decent images
    Not sure on the shutter count but I can check if you are interested

Will be px’ing it for a new D5500 at the weekend but happy if I can sell privately for a bit more than the part-ex offer which I don’t imagine will be much say £120

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Best budget SLR for sport photography?’ is closed to new replies.