Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best bike carrying solution for a MK2 Focus?
  • core

Picking up the new car tomorrow – a 2007 focus, 3 door hatch, with plastic boot spoiler (that may be important).

So, what are the best options for bike carrying? Don’t really like carrying them inside.

Currently use a cheapy halfords rack on my MK1 focus, but it’s a ball ache to attach, and you can’t then use the boot for your other kit, plus it loosens over time.

Would like to avoid the expense of a towbar if possible. Are there any chassis mount removable options?

chilled76
    Free Member

There’s a thule one that clips on in seconds and you can still open your boot with it attached.

Not sure if it is still available. I’ve got one in my garage and it comes out every now and then when conditions are uber muddy.

core

I’ve seen the Thule clip on, but think I saw somewhere that it’s not compatible with this shape focus if you have the rear spoiler. They do look a neat design.

chilled76
    Free Member

Actually thinking about it I think mine was the one for estates but worked on my hatch focus with spoiler. Got rid of my focus years ago so can’t remember properly.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The tow bar kit was about £90 on eBay when I bought mine. It’s an absolute doddle to fit, you simply unclip the rear bumper, unbolt the rear crash structure that’s behind the bumper, fit the kit where the structure was and replace the bumper. Feed wire into the boot through a grommet and clip to rear (non-canbus) wiring. 30 minutes it took me.

There’s a channel on the roof to allow easy fitting of roof bars too.

Personally I only ever put the bikes in the boot and lined it with old carpet as soon as I got it. Better security, less likely to be destroyed if someone crashes into you, doesn’t advertise your bikes to thieves and it’s quicker than fitting any rack.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I would just get a towbar and a Thule rack. It is like night and day compared to a clip on in my experience.

core

Not really keen on having a towbar hanging out the back all the time if I’m honest, and I know the swan neck type are a lot dearer. The boot is cavernous, so I could just mtfu and stick some old sheets in to catch the crap I suppose……….

jobro
    Free Member

Inside!
    Had a focus for ten years and carrying the bikes inside was never a problem but has the advantages of better security,better fuel consumption etc.
    Two riders, two bikes, weeks worth of kit regularly traveled across this lovely island of ours.

zoo200
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thule-wingbar-roof-rack-with-freeride-532-t-track-carriers

then get thule Kit 3015 Fixpoint XT and it will fit!

plug. 😀

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

£87 delivered for a swan-neck tow bar job on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THULE-Towbar-for-Ford-Focus-Hatchback-2004-2011-Swan-Neck-/201071763955?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2ed0cfa1f3

I must say mine looks far more manly with the tow bar on the back.

But my vote is still for putting the bikes in the car, my tow bar is for taking crap to the tip in my trailer.

SammyC
    Free Member

I have some Thule roof bars for a Mk2 Focus if interested. Email in profile although you’d have to collect from Bristol.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best bike carrying solution for a MK2 Focus?’ is closed to new replies.