Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best AM brake, for AM weather! R1, saint, juicy7 etc
  • ninja
    Free Member

OK looking to go on Orange 5 build AM use.
    Tried some Hope X2s recently on wet ride they were useless on a steep, will get you in trouble those..

I run saints on both my bikes now which are faultless, but heavy (340g)

Has anyone seriously tested R1s (180g)on here, in all weather, on long steep descents etc – good/ bad points please…tempted by nealry 0.8lb weight saving!

Gotama
    Free Member

Oooh i like your threads 😀

Got The Ones on mine, absolutely faultless for a couple of years riding and a few trips to the alps. Expensive but great. Only gripe can be pad squeal with the standard formula sintered but it goes once they warmed up a bit.

ask1974
    Free Member

OK I can’t answer your question directly, but just bought a new 5 and had XT brakes fitted with 203/180 rotors. Had a two hour ride on Saturday and even without being bedded in they were awesome. They’re going to be amazing when fully up to speed.

Not sure on the weight though.

rhysw
    Free Member

Formula the One’s are amazing. Im running them on my Nomad and there up there for power with the new Saints but lighter for AM use.
    I’ve read good things about the New XT brakes too. Cheap as well

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Current XTRs are more powerful than old Saints. And waaaayyyy lighter.

XTs are as powerful, but heavier than XTR.

jonke
    Free Member

My mates ‘ones’ on his spicy are less powerful with a 180/180 setup than my saints with 203/180 setup. Not sure what the difference would be if he upgraded the rotor but he was struggling a little at Cwmcarn on saturday.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I wouldn’t discount the Hayes Stroker Ace… I think the new Hayes brakes are very good.

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope V2’s all the way

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 R1 formulas best Ive had. Great modulation and hassle free.

nonk
    Free Member

new xtr ones all the way.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have Ones and new XTs on my bikes. Both are great AM brakes and the price of the new XTs from Rose makes them a no-brainer I reckon.

Dunno yet if the XTs will firm up in extreme low temperatures like the previous gen ones, which was an issue at the top of Skiddaw back in Feb.

jedi

+1 ruscle

ninja
    Free Member

weight of new XTs? I found about 250g on various sites? sits between Formula and Saints.

PERFORMANCE IN WET, please?

Think i will go this way – I had some Formula the ONes out in the ALps for a season a few years ago,bled several times, still fadetastic (on DH bike tho) – jiucy7s outperformed them. Maybe I got a bad set.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Don’t all discs perform better when wet? Something to do with bouyancy? Filling the gaps plus incompressibility of a fluid?

Of course the rain under the tyres offsets this mechanical advantage… ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best AM brake, for AM weather! R1, saint, juicy7 etc’ is closed to new replies.