Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best Afan trail????
  • peakprowler
    Free Member

Going to Afan on a once only day visit this week .. which is the best trail or combination of trails to do??

tinsy
    Free Member

whites… if you got time do the W2 thing that links whites and the wall… you really cant go wrong to be honest all fun. 🙂

z1ppy

I'd vote Whites too, but there all great trails with good features, you can't go too wrong – except the fire road frenzy that is the skyline.

robinbetts
    Free Member

If you ride W2, don't miss the left turn under the bridge near the start, and cycle 5km down the river to the right! It's adds an extra 10km to the ride 😉

(Whoops)

clubber
    Free Member

I sort of see why people rate White's as the best but I think I actually prefer Penhydd or The Wall – Just more of the type of singletrack descents that I particularly like (eg Hidden Valley). They're all good though.

nickegg
    Free Member

W2 gets my vote although having slagged off Penhydd for years (having done it once, on a sh1t hardtail, as a beginner!), we did it the other week and loved it!!

No matter what you ride, for god sake eat at the Drop Off cafe!

llama

Depends what you like doing

Whites has 'features'
    Wall has an up down with a nice descent
    Penhydd is more natural apart from hidden valley which is pretty unique
    Skyline is good for a long quiet ride

I think 2 in a day with lunch in the middle is doable by most. You can do the lot in a day if you go steady.

Paceman
    Free Member

I like Whites and Penhydd best in equal measure but for different reasons, but do W2 if you only have a one day visit.

z1ppy

agree with Llama's reviews

again I did Penhydd for only the 2nd time the other day (I forget how many time I've done the White trail as it's always my 1st choice), and though I did really really enjoy it, I prefer the way the Wall and White trails get the majority of climbing done dusted at the start, but everyone different and like different features.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Start on Penhydd,then cross the river and do the wall.

When we do the wall, we do the first single track downhill section that leads back to the fire road, then we stay on the fire road to the top.Reason being that the next 2 or 3 sections are just a bimble through the woods on almost level ground.

sharki
    Free Member

Penhydd, the wall and whites.

Pick an order and enjoy.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Skyline is my favourite, it feels like you are in the middle of no where, a real long grind of a ride especially on my own – love it.

I W2 rode for the first time last week and it was fun, great to ride in a group and the energy section was fun.

FuzzyWuzzy

July gets my vote

mooman
    Free Member

If your travelling up that way then its best to ride Afan masts/Foel dh before it gets closed for good…
    Adds more than the usual man made stuff up there.

GaryLake
    Free Member

W2

richc
    Free Member

have you got a link/OS reference for the Foel DH?

Philby

Penhydd followed by Whites would be my choice.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Penhydd only takes an hour, so you could park there,do Penhydd, the Wall then pop up and do Whites (in the car) before a bite to eat (Keeping your bike in view mind) at Skyline, and then off home! It's easily do-able in a day.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best Afan trail????’ is closed to new replies.