Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bent Rear derailleur Hanger
  • kilf
    Free Member

Just a quicky lads I fell off today many times (funny huh! lol) I have slightly bent my rear hanger so that when im in the first cog at the back the derailleur just catches my spokes enough to make a sound but not stop the wheel.

I have it booked in the shop for a service tomorrow do you think it can be straightened im worried about needing the part as I really need the bike for Saturday. …Its certainly not snapped just bent its a 1998 kona pahoehoe if that matters

uplink
    Free Member

Sometimes they can be bent back to work, sort of

They nearly always need changing in the end though

wwaswas

it may break if straightened – they tend to break then if they’re going to.

look on the BETD site – they’ll probably have one that’s the same shape etc even if it’s not labelled for your frame – be worth orderign as a backup in any event.

beardy
    Free Member

Rear hangers (I am told) are made to be weak points, better that they snap than the expensive rear derailleur bends round your rear mech and into your wheel.

New hanger i think

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends. A very slight bend/twist can be straitened using the right tool. But a new one is best – keep the slightly bent one as a spare.

Northwind

It’s not as hard as people assume to straighten one, but yes it might snap and yes it might be weakened. Straightening it and keeping it as a spare can make sense, I carry spares anyway though so I just leave the straightened ones in.

There’s proper straightening tools but what I use is an old shimano rear axle- the thread’s the same as the dropout so it screws right in and makes for both a useful lever, and an easy guide for straightness. Never failed me yet.

DT78
    Free Member

Dunno if your bike is an alloy frame with a replacable dropout (if so buy a new one) or if it is a steel frame. I managed to bend my steel frames dropout back with a couple of gentle tugs on an adustable spanner. Got to be careful with it though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mate bent his hanger after major chain issues. Back to the shed, whipped out my big adjustable, bit of oof! And its right as rain.

MarkN
    Free Member

One of these will see you right time and time again.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-gear-hanger-alignment-tool/

A spare hanger is also a good move for when it does snap.

rushmore
    Free Member

Yo dude.. it’s Trev..

Good ride today man, gutted to hear about your mech..

however..

this could help you out :o)
    Rear mech i’m selling

😉

p.s. get some flats!! lol

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve bent my current one back about 3 times so far(buying new ones all the time was doing my tits in at £15 a go, least i’ve plenty spares(bent mind)), just turn the bike upside down and grab the derailler and push it back to straight. works a treat for me..

Although, do it at your own risk to your bike…the hanger is weaker than the frame mind, so i’m fairly confident the hanger bends back before the frame. if you’re going to buy a new one anyhow worth a try…Easier to bend it back more accurately on the frame ime.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bent Rear derailleur Hanger’ is closed to new replies.