Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Beeswax on boots
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve been using beeswax (Grangers) on my leather walking boots, but on some of the softer bits – tongue, ankle cuff – it leaves a very tack white residue. Normal and just ignore? Too much wax? I’ve just been applying it by hand.

Bazz

Have you tried putting the boots in a warm place after application, somewhere like an airing cipboard?, I find this makes the leather a bit more pourous and the wax a bit more liquid, resulting in good absorbtion.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve been using the same stuff, not seen any problems yet but it was the stuff recommended by the seemingly knowledgeable chap for my Scarpa’s.

If I layer it on thick it does exude back out and rub off in use, the shop guy suggested 2-3 light coats rather than 1 thick and not putting the boots anywhere warm as this cracks the leather.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I leave them in the house, rather than their usual home in the very well ventilated porch – bit scared to put them anywhere warm. Only occurs on specific sections, where the leather is looser and more bawbag like.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You could try beeswaxing your bawbag to see if keeping the boots in a warm place helps?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it a valid test though – does Meindl’s Nubuck leather have the same properties as the leather of my Leathery Castanets?

MrNice
    Free Member

not tried beeswax but other waxy type proofers were absorbed better in the warmth. I’ve even resorted to turning a hairdryer on them. EDIT: my boots that is

Not sure I want to know about thegreatape’s castanets

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is it a valid test though – does Meindl’s Nubuck leather have the same properties as the leather of my Leathery Castanets?

Well I think there’s only one way to find out, and it’ll make showering slicker!

CountZero

I use Renapur Leather Balm, which is beeswax, jojoba, and other natural products, but it’s not recommended for suede, unbuckle or aniline leathers.
    Good stuff, rubs in cleanly, buffs up well, and doesn’t leave a thick residue. I use it on leather and waxed cotton coats and jackets as well. renapure.com

ninfan
    Free Member

Always been more of a fan of Nikwax to be honest – especially the sorely missed traditional liquid that you used to be able to get in a square tin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Beeswax on boots’ is closed to new replies.