Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Been knocked off my bike- whats likely to happen?
  • D0NK

you rode without lights and close enough to be hit by the door*

He opened his door on you

IMO pay your own ways, (check your bike thoroughly if you totalled his door I’d expect some damage to frame or wheels) his insurance company may not see it that way, might be a good time to get in touch with CTC.

*something lots of cyclists do, don’t beat yourself up about it too much, but I bet you won’t do it again. OTOH plenty of drivers moan about cyclists riding (correctly) too far from parked cars so don’t let the bmw driver give you stick for it.

edit just read your post about the size of bmw doors, yes I’ve heard that too.

glenp
    Free Member

I have to add a confession that I have run fully into the back of a parked car at night, nevermind strayed too close to a door. Accidents happen, glad you’re ok.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ultimately you admit fault (It’s not illegal for him to open his door into you if he can’t see you there in the dark) and he’s going to want it paying for. He MAY be really nice to you and put it through as an own-fault claim, but if I were you I’d be offering to contribute even over a period of time. If not, and you’re not insured, he may wish to take it to court to force you to pay, the court will probably ask you to pay a small amount each month if you can’t afford it.

project
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Just out of interest – what was the blokes reaction when you hit him? He must have **** himself!!! Opening your car door on a clear road, then BANG!!! and you come through his window

Posted 4 hours ago # Report-Post

Just spat a cup of tea all over the flor, thats so funny, as a commnet but not for those involved.

Saw a chap last year nearly hit a cyclist, going to close, and suddenly stop as the cyclist shouted at him, just as the passenger got to get out, he was hit by a mobility scooter, bent the door back and shocked the old biddy on the scooter, pure heaven i was in at how funny it was.

project
    Free Member

There is also a charg eof maliciously opening a vehicle door, got told that by an ex sergent who once charged a driver with it, after he was knocked off his bike.

Del

hmm. worst case as the others have said is that the insurers pursue you for the costs of the repair through the courts if you don’t have an insurer. if you can’t afford it you’ll be paying them for a long time. it’s only money. you and he are both ok. hold on to that.

markenduro
    Free Member

If it went to court it would probably go 50/50 as you were both in the wrong.
    The good news for you is I was in my car stationary at a junction when some stupid kid on a bike with no brakes came flying down the hill and round the corner straight into the front of my car, over the bonnet, into the window and bounced off int o the road, it did about £1200 worth of damage to a 3 month old car. I had to claim off my own insurance and lost my excess, the insurance company were not interested in pursuing the muppet to recoup my costs, even though I asked them to on several occasions. You may well get away with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Been knocked off my bike- whats likely to happen?’ is closed to new replies.