Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • BB7 on drops – road calipers with road levers, or mtb/mtb pull?
  • nedrapier

I understand there are road levers available which match the cable pull required by the mtb calipers?

Would I notice any difference in feel/power/maintenance between the 2 set-ups?

mtb versions seem to be available a bit cheaper, and if I’m going to be a tart about things (which I might), they’ll match the rest of the bike better.

I’m going to be using bar end shifters as and when I fit more gears so I’m not bothered about giving up brifter options.

As ever, I’m very grateful for any help!

geoffj

Road versions would give you the choice to go with STIs later. On-One were doing the road versions for £60 an end IIRC.

miketually
    Free Member

Dia Compe sell drop levers that pull V-brake lengths of cable. 287V, from memory.

gbichan

I run BB5’s with Dia Compe 287V’s on On One Midges. Works well and like you say a lot cheaper and more common than road specific options.

nedrapier

Good stuff. Just spoke to a On-One who said the same: as long as levers match the required pull they should work the same, but there’d be more pad clearance on the mtb versions. I don’t like adjusting things for fun, so cheaper + blacker + less adjustment faff = me sold on the mtb versions.

And I’ll go for the Tektro RL520, which come in blacker too. You can see what’s important here, can’t you?

Cheers again.

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve only tried the road brakes, but I would expect the MTB ones with MTB levers to work better. With longer cable pull, and the corresponding lower cable tension, compression of the outers will have less of an impact.

If you’re not fussed about which levers you have, I’d go for an MTB set up.

Vortexracing

ken shields has some RL520’s for sale over in the classifieds

nedrapier

pdw: I’m massively fussed! I want black ones.

Cheers vortex.

Ken, I’m on my way over! (to the classifieds, not your house)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘BB7 on drops – road calipers with road levers, or mtb/mtb pull?’ is closed to new replies.