Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • bath's bad underbelly
  • emma82
    Free Member

anyone else been out on the tiles in Bath? I went this weekend and it started off well at a comedy club but came out from there thinking we would go to a few pubs then a club then food then home….. turned out it is a bit crap? Bloke got half beaten to death, street was blocked off with police all over the place and forensics, saw about 10 fights, lots of people stoned or scratching itchy noses, a very drunk woman with literally nothing on but a blokes yellow t-shirt fell over in front of me and flashed EVERYTHING (not pretty) and then two tramps had a go at me just after I walked in about three puddles of sick/piss! I thought bath was supposed to be classy? Please someone tell me we just got a bad night? Never seen anything like it and I live in a rough city!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bad night, I've had a few nights out that were nice. Stoned is pretty common though, seems white powder is the done thing if you're in a "classy" place.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

What was the food like?

project
    Free Member

Havent been here for 20 years,nice to see things have improved.

There used to be a shoppingcentre built out of yellow breeze blocks, a really pitiful place, half the shops where empty, and the square in front of the cathederal, was usually ful of drunks,there where no police, and no traffic wardens, and the station used to be filthy.

When the Romans went things went downhil fast.

emma82
    Free Member

Food was nice, everything in the day was lovely-deffo will go back to explore more but will just make sure to be home by 11 I think! Got nice burger an chips from a van though!! And the coppers guarding the street the bloke attacked on were funny too, think they were bored!

donsimon
    Free Member

Last time I was there all the beer was served "strong, medium or weak". With a range of beers like that it's no wonder it gets a bit frisky.

wes
    Free Member

I've lived here for 10 years and I've never seent that!

I'm not saying there's never fights, too much booze and it can kick off anywhere. However I've not been in more that one in the entire time I've lived hear. Compare that to Leicester…. Yes, there are drugs, but you have to go looking.
    I'm amazed you saw all that in one night, where did you go after Comidia?
    One thought is how many stag / hen nights were out that night? One problem the city is suffering from is that it's become a fairly 'cool' place to go to (god knows why – it's far too quiet!)

piha
    Free Member

Right then, based on the description above I'm up for a night out in Bath, anyone else? 😉

CountZero

I heard about the poor bloke in Quiet Street on the news tonight. Sadly I think it's just a feature of summer nights in any city with a large population of fairly young people who are fairly well off and go out and get shitfaced on a regular basis, especially at weekends. I'm not in Bath at night that often, and never had problems when I am there, but it can get rowdy, and is no different really from Chippenham where I live in that respect, Bath's just bigger.

wes
    Free Member

'beer served strong medium or weak' where was that then?
    I've got to admit, I love living here. I can see the Abbey out the window as I type this, I've never had any real trouble and the nights out are good without going off the scale.
    Do I have my eyes closed?
    Oh – and the riding that can actually be seen from the city centre is bloody brilliant!

emma82
    Free Member

We went to revolution then another bar then the blue room. AND, the taxi driver who picked us up asked if we wanted to buy Anything to get us started!!! I hope he just meant a lift I to town. Half the tables at komediA were stag/hen, there were a lot of them about…. and actually a lot of wat we saw trouble wise were with people who were dressed up.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I've always found it to be a great place for nights (and indeed days) out, but this being the UK even the most genteel of locales can play host to carnage due to lager fuelled mobile berzerkers.

I'd wager that my native Bournemouth is many times worse in the casual violence and 'LOL! Randumb' stakes.

emma82
    Free Member

Is he dead count? I guessed so given the photos an stuff being taken of the scene an the amount of police about picking stuff up/ talking to people. Very sad, perhaps that put a bit of an edge on the night to be honest

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sadly I think it's just a feature of summer nights in any city with a large population of fairly young people who are fairly well off and go out and get shitfaced on a regular basis, especially at weekends.

Indeed. See also a night in Salisbury, Oxford, Bristol, York, Newcastle, etc, etc, etc.

The conglomeration of Yates's Fight Pubs and the like all around one area leads to all manner of vileness.

Avoid town centres on a Saturday night. Sadly.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Going to Bournemouth next weekend for a night on the town, can you recommend anywhere bravohotel9er? Would prefer interesting music and avoiding the Ben Sherman crowd if possible. Happy to get off my box tho 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Oh and CFH, not seen much trouble in Salisbury of an evening. You should try going on the lash in Basildon 😯

wes
    Free Member

Had a sneaky feeling it was forigners – by which I mean anyone who's from Chippenham, Bristol, Yate etc…..

Unfortunatly you seem to have gone to the places that actually attract the more 'boistrous' crowd. There are a lot better (although the blueroom does have a drink named afer me – the Wes – from when if was a memebers only bar)

Shocked at the taxi drriver though, wouldn't have been impressed by that

wes
    Free Member

The blokes stil in intensive care. Not good.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I think the same goes for Winchester too…

One minute you're sipping cocktails and chatting to well spoken girls with Boden accounts and designs on a new Aga, the next you're treated to scenes of untold savagery as Mid-Hampshire's least eligible bachelors engage in a series of face/pint glass interfaces.

wes
    Free Member

Yeah, I do think that it's really just the typical UK mentality. Drink, fight, drink fight, kebab. puke.
    The most fights I've ever seen in a night was on a Sunday night in a sleepy market town in Leicestershire. Ending up with a guy getting stabbed by the local gypos.
    I only stopped for some chips on the way back from riding!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member
    Going to Bournemouth next weekend for a night on the town, can you recommend anywhere bravohotel9er?

If you head towards the BIC there's a great bar called '60 Million Postcards' which majors in all things indie and electro. It attracts a student/art school crowd. There are loads of seats, a nice big beer garden and a good range of drinks.

I used to think they had some sort of anti-scum forcefield, but the manager informed me that by refusing to stock Stella, Carling, Carlsberg, Heineken and 1664 they can achieve the same effect without having to resort to stealing Star Fleet technology!

'Bar So' is next door, another nice bar, but it may well be full of the Ben Sherman demographic at the weekend. '1812' is in the other side of 'Bar So' and is rather more upmarket.

The main drag (Old Christchurch Road) will be like Beirut throughout the weekend, but there is a place called 'Camel' bar about halfway up it. Loosely themed on a souk bar, they have bars on two floors, a beer garden and a 'secret garden' type set up where people smoke shisha pipes. It's also rammed full of pretty ladies.

Other than that, the top end of Old Christchurch Road and the Lansdowne is considerably less scummy. there's an interesting little place called 'iBar' which is owned by the guy who invented the computer game 'Worms'. It's a good bar/club and there's never any trouble there.
    'Sound Circus' is a rock club in the grand tradition complete with sticky carpets and girls in slightly ill advised PVC numbers, it's opposite the station.

Whatever you do, avoid 'Elements' or whatever name it's trading under this week. It's the biggest club in town and is situated just up from the equally terrible 'Toko' and 'Bliss' which serve as feeder bars for it.

If you can be bothered to get over to Boscombe, you'll find the excellent 'Urban Reef' right on the seafront, that and 'Pier Pressure' (just up from the beach on Sea Road) plus sister bar 'Urban Beach' are all worth a shot if you wish to combine daytime drinking by the beach and delicious food.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Cheers dude, will put some of those places on the list. Not been drinking in Beirut, but it sounds fun 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

I used to work as a doorman, who looked after a paramedic going round in an ambulance, there is some nasty things that happen in bath, but it's quite easy to avoid. lovely place and can not wait to move back.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Provincial British city in drunken saturday night shocker 🙄

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Not so much in London itself, much worse in the provincial towns

When I lived in London we just went out for a few/fair few pints most nights and not this big lets go mad on Friday lark

Few of us had a weekend away in York for the footie and couldn't believe how people came in from all over and then got pissed so quick

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

piha – Member
    Right then, based on the description above I'm up for a night out in Bath, anyone else?

Yep. Count me in. I'm well up for it.

Let's 'ave it!!!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

…same in the West End though, full of Essex/Kent types taking their princesses out for a big night.

Saw some pretty nasty stuff in New Cross when my friend was studying at Goldsmiths too.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Saw some pretty nasty stuff in New Cross when my friend was studying at Goldsmiths too.

Goldsmiths Tavern AKA 'LagerDaleks'? What a shitehole. Good DnB night on sometimes though. The odd good little band. Rough as **** though. Saw many a fight in there. Then there was the Paradise Bar down the road by Deptford. Trades Descriptions should have forced them to rename the place. What a dump. Remember two blokes trying to headbutt each other to death in the Amersham Arms' men's bogs. Ended up with them rolling around in the piss trough scrapping, while some poor sod was puking up in the corner. One of the fighters went on to headbutt a police van. I think I got banned from the New Cross Inn for some reason, Can't remember.

Ah, happy, halcyon days…

backhander
    Free Member

Yep, as a rule I avoid all wetherspoons in briz. Corn st also seems to attract all of the people from the less salubrious areas of the city too.

phil.w
    Free Member

When I was a teenager the London road area was known as the part of Bath to avoid at night and the center generally had no serious trouble.

With bars like wetherspoons, revolutions etc. moving in this has changed with more stella drinking nob's to avoid on a friday night.

There are some good places to go still though, just without a brand name above the door.

emma82 – Member
    Got nice burger an chips from a van though!!

Ahh, Mr D's they've saved me on many a late night.

_tom_
    Free Member

Right then, based on the description above I'm up for a night out in Bath, anyone else?

😆 I had similar thoughts.

badnewz
    Free Member

just got back from weymouth for the weekend, which had a similar combination of drinking fighting general unchristian hedonism. I think its just the time of year.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about Irish Tony's post honeymoon 'paunch' 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘bath's bad underbelly’ is closed to new replies.