Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Base layer recommendations
  • bruneep

Having ripped my old fathful Pearl Izumi zip neck base layer last night on a branch 😥 it’s time for a new BL.

Needs to be long sleeve with zip neck.

Pearl Izumi still do one, any others that I should look at?

neninja
    Free Member

I stick to Icebreaker Merino zip necks as base layers. Comfy and seem to regulate my temperature well. They don’t wick as well as some man made materials but stay warm even when wet.

amphibian
    Free Member

Groundeffect submerino. Works superbly and lasts forever.

FuzzyWuzzy

Craft Zero Extreme turtleneck would get my vote although Wiggle seem to have stopped selling them, like this though http://www.timarco.co.uk/product.aspx?prod=cc676c74-9c94-4321-9627-804cbefdff2d
    I ditched all my merino stuff a couple of winters ago as it was always slightly itchy, the Craft stuff feels nice, keeps me as warm as merino ever did and wicks a lot better to. That said if you don’t find merino itchy it’s hard to argue against.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I LOVE my icebreaker stuff. It’s a pity that it lives in a drawer for 8 months of the year but when winter rolls around I’m always very happy to dig it out.

16stonepig
    Free Member

You want one of these:

willyboy
    Free Member

i’ve got a Polaris BL zip and its been pretty good, so much so i bought a second one.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Craft Zero Extreme all the way, never use my Icebreaker stuff riding any more (way over rated IMO).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

FieldAndTrek have an online sale page with lots of bases layers on, although it has ben running for a while so getting depleted.

Some Ice breaker, HH Lifa crews for £16, etc.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

If that fluffy pink number is out of stock, id recommend dhb ones from wiggle.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Odlo. Awesome stuff. Amazingly good at regulating temperature. A little kinky in the fit, though!
    Helly Warm – Excellent in cooler climes
    Endura BaaBaa. I like.
    Patagucci Merino – The best merino I own.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Icebreaker stuff is fantastic although expensive.
    Haev a look here, great when they have sales on http://www.embersmerino.com
    Or take a look at the base layers that on one sell, they had zip merino wool ones for £20 the other week.

Pieface

HH Lifa is hard to beat, but not sure if they come with zips.

loum
    Free Member

cotswoldoutdoors has a sale on too

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

HH do – I have one. And their 3/4 length lifa trousers are good for skiing.

Pieface

3/4 length Lifa leggings? They may be just what I’m after

Raymond

Patagonia capiliene 3 is the best I’ve found. It really goes move the sweat from the inside surface out. Zip neck tops are £23 on snow and rock web site at the moment:

Capiliene

jedi

i got the new mavic baselayers with kinda cells in it to trap heat

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Swrve Merino are brilliant if you can fork out 40 squids…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Heard good things about castelli mesh vest but haven’t bought one yet as they’re almost 30 quid

mlpinto
    Free Member

Raymond – thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a patagonia top to replace my ageing howies merino…

fontmoss
    Free Member

oh and it doesn’t fit your remit, sorry 🙁

mattstreet

Really like and recommend Icebreaker stuff myself.

And as a bit of a PSA: http://www.natureshop.co.uk/icebreaker has 15% off Icebreaker until midnight Sunday. 🙂

skinnysteel
    Free Member

+ 1 for GE Submerino. Or what about the Rab Meco tops as per last months ST review. Only worn mine a handful of times so far, under a windproof, but quite impressed tho’ only time will tell re durability. Avoid Howies NBLs. Rubbish.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ooh, Submerino is an excellent name.

🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I’m a big Icebreaker fan but I’ve been very impressed by a “bamboo” base layer my wife got me from Bamboo Clothing – maybe not quite as warm as merino, but dries quicker, wicks better, and doesn’t smell of wet sheep when damp

matt_outandabout

Patagucci Merino for winter, Capeline for summer.

Or, best thermal baselayer I have ever owned is a Helly Hansen ‘warm’ merino/manmade combo – warm, wicking, snug fit, long arms and body. Ace.

iainc

I am a big fan of Icebreaker stuff and have 4 different weight base layers. They wear and wash well and the oldest is still going strong after about 3 yrs.

However

Avoid Howies NBLs. Rubbish.

my Howies nbl is outlasting the Icebreaker stuff, it simply keeps on going and even though it is older and has been worn and washed more, it is in better nick than all of the Icebreaker stuff

matt_outandabout

^ my old NBL refuses to die as well

oddjob
    Free Member

Sorry to say it but I think the Rapha ones are great

notlocal
    Free Member

We sell HH warm and ODLO, both fantastic, but the ODLO wins on no smell after a ride.

bruneep

So that clears that up……… 😕

Thanks for the replies, will have a look at all of the BL mentioned.

B

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Base layer recommendations’ is closed to new replies.