Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Base for a greenhouse advice please.
  • Bunnyhop

As I type mr.bh. is digging up some of the lawn. We have the re-cycled bricks from a neighbours house for the hardcore. The flags are sorted.
    Do we need to put down fleece before the hardcore?
    Also is there anything else I need to know from the STW font of knowledge?

thejesmonddingo

Some sort of weedproof membrane is a good idea,are you bedding them in sand?
    Ian

Bunnyhop

Probably, is there a better way?
    Any advice at all is much appreciated.

sv

Gritty paving sand is working well for me laid 80 2x2s so far only another 80 or so to go.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Hardcore? For a greenhouse? How big is the thing? Lay the flags on a layer of sand – 2" should be adequate. Screw the base to the flags, fix the gh to the base, insert glass, job done. Don't need a membrane. Don't need hardcore.

Main things to remember are:-

1) Lay the flags level.

2) Make sure the base is square, truly square, not just "near enough".

Easy job.

Conor
    Free Member

Bunny…. this is what we did, but may not suit your application.

Our house is in drumlin country so the the area around is basically solid cay/rocks. For our glasshouse we stripped all the topsoil away, and laid a modest concrete foundation with a double layer of blocks on top. This was filled with topsoil and the glasshouse built on to the double blocks.

But we're growing from the ground rather than (by the sounds of it) growing from tressel tables/pots etc.

I can give my engineering consultancy next month 😉

Bunnyhop

Thanks Conor. You do realise you'll walk through the door and get handed a shovel and told to start digging. 😀

ChatsworthMusters – the area needs to be bigger, to fit a shed and compost heaps ( I may be optimistic asking for more than one!) too.

Conor
    Free Member

Sorry Bunnyhop, I draw the line at cooking dinner for you guys!!! I'll offer my "standing at the back door" engineering ideas 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Base for a greenhouse advice please.’ is closed to new replies.