• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Avulsion Fracture
  • daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Had a small off yesterday and after figuring out which bits were bleeding I looked down at my hand to find my middle finger at a right angle!

Pulled it and straightened it (dislocated), but then went and had it checked, and it’s broken further down.

Anyone done this? Guessing it’s not mega long rehab?

gastromonkey
    Free Member

The mrs did it to her thumb snowboarding a few years ago. It was 6 weeks in a cast then some strength exercises to get it back to normal. She used a climbing grip training thing to build up the strength.

A few weeks after her cast came off she was back to normal.

The Dr said it would be a quicker recovery than if it had just been tendon damage.

DanW
    Free Member

It depends on the fracture of course but one thing to bear in mind is that you want the bit of bone that was pulled off to go back where it came from. If not then the tendon length is effectively changed any you are likely to have a permanently bent finger. I can’t straighten my little finger after an avulsion fracture and had it in a splint for a few weeks during which time my activities weren’t affected. I do wish I’d looked in to surgery more at the time as it is pretty much constantly painful in the current state.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Not exactly the reassuring voices I was hoping for 🙂

Suppose just wait and see what the doc says 🙁

DanW
    Free Member

Fractures are very individual things, but by and large something like this won’t take you out of action for long if at all, just make sure it heals right.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Managed to get a cancelled appointment at the fracture clinic (perks of working at a hospital).

Not worried about the break said it’s very minor, physio booked for monday to sort dislocation.

DanW
    Free Member

Good to hear, all the best!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Avulsion Fracture’ is closed to new replies.