Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avois / Air miles Credit Card?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’d like to swap to a credit card that offers air miles/ Avios that I can use for part payment on BA flights (I’ve previously used nectar points for money off easyjet flights, but there’s now a £13 booking fee and easyjet don’t fly from Heathrow). I’ve looked at the BA card, but it’s Amex and I believe it’s pretty hit and miss who accepts it. So are there any other (non Amex) Avios credit cards that can be used on BA flights?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a BA Amex card, pretty widely accepted used for most spending even at the supermarket. Avios transfered over to BA monthly. I actually got mine via BA so got a decent signing on bonus too.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Cheers Jambalaya

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to have an Amex card for work, linked to my BA account. So, I’d buy tickets on the card (earning Avii (Plural?)), then fly (earning Avii) to somewhere where I’d pay for almost everything on that card (earning Avii).

It got a bit silly. I had (and still have!) too many of the damned things. Then I discovered that you can buy wine with them. Which was nice. 🙂

Using Avios points for flights can be good, but v hit and miss re availability. A far better use of them, if not for wine, is to upgrade. So, you buy a WT+ ticket, and use Avii to upgrade to the comfy seats.

New corporate card is Mastercard. Boo. Hiss. Etc.

Twodogs

Lloyds do a card which gives Avios and you get a mastercard and amex….you get more avios miles per pound spent on the amex. They also do a version you pay an annual fee for which doesn’t charge a fee if used abroad…worth it if you travel a lot.

Twodogs

Avios made changes about 18 months ago which has significantly reduced the number of seats available on flights, sadly

deadkenny
    Free Member

Indeed, bear in mind the seats and flights they’re usuable on are quite limited. I’ve got loads built up over years from rewards via Sainsburys, Tescos and other places, but every time I look at using them the flight I want is not available.

I considered the credit card but decided to stick with my plain cash reward card as at least I get to use the reward in my lifetime.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Cheers all, has anyone used points for part payment? Is this limited to a small number of seats on certain flights or can it be used more freely?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed, bear in mind the seats and flights they’re usuable on are quite limited. I’ve got loads built up over years from rewards via Sainsburys, Tescos and other places, but every time I look at using them the flight I want is not available.

Availability is a lot better if you’re at the shiny end of BA’s exec club, but even then, very much a hit and miss affair.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avois / Air miles Credit Card?’ is closed to new replies.