• This topic has 141 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by teef.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Avoiding the Jubilee
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Nothing Jubilee related, going to view some houses with the OH, night out at a pub quiz and some live music on the Sunday and getting in a couple of rides.

I’m no fan of the monarchy but I won’t sniff at the extra days off work – anyway, if we didn’t have this bunch unelected Royal bunch of elitist toffs we’d have President Cameron, who is…..oh wait, an unelected elitist toff!

zippykona

We should have a national day every year. Make sure the shops are shut are we can all get together as a country.

trailmonkey

I think there should be a jubilee every day. it might just remind everyone as they wave a little plastic union jack that the 1000 richest people in the UK – of which the Queen happens to be one – are £150bn better off between them since the banking crisis of 2008.

Just to put that into perspective, our glorious figurehead and her chums could between them clear the deficit that the condems are clearing by sacking you and your neighbours and still be £70m better off each than they were in 2008.

God bless you M’am, we’re all in this together.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’m hoping to pop out on my bike sometime over the weekend.

I may wear my old Royal Air Force CC jersey, just to irritate the republicans a little.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the 1000 richest people in the UK – of which the Queen happens to be one – are £150bn better off between them since the banking crisis of 2008.

Just to put that into perspective, our glorious figurehead and her chums could between them clear the deficit that the condems are clearing by sacking you and your neighbours and still be £70m better off each than they were in 2008.

i just stole that and posted it on facebook 🙂 interesting factoid!

i’m not fussed about the queen, she hasn’t really ever held me up on a trail or broken into my house and covered it in post-it notes so she’s not in my bad books. 4 day weekend will be nice and if people are generally in a happier mood than normal cos of their love for the queen or their love for time away from work then i’m cool with it 🙂

mrhoppy

I’ll be in the Alps with some mates and the good people of Bike Village taking advantage of a weeks leave for 3 days off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Attention seeking fannies

+1. Hippy wierdos.

+1

Was going to add pathetic too, if you want to avoid then call your boss refuse the Extra Holiday and go to work.

In reality what you are saying is your going riding and will look down your nose at anyone who celebrates it but wants to make a political statement at the same time to feel more important.

It’s not as if the queen cheated on Strava or got uplift at Hamsterly

wrightyson
    Free Member

Good old stw misery!!! I shall be having my haircut then going to roller world on Saturday, followed by a quick spin if all bones are in tact, Sunday is a beer fuelled day in derby without the kids for my birthday. Pick em back up Monday then just enjoy the four of us being together and not at work/school hopefully with a bit of flag waving aNd tombola chucked in!!

IHN

Better to protest than be one of the doe-eyed, drool-chinned, unthinking worshippers of royalty

Are they the only two options? Get over yourself.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think there should be a jubilee every day. it might just remind everyone as they wave a little plastic union jack that the 1000 richest people in the UK – of which the Queen happens to be one – are £150bn better off between them since the banking crisis of 2008.

Tis a good point, BUT not Queenys fault, look at any other nation with a monarchy or not the top percentage could pay off the debts no problem.

ransos
    Free Member

Was going to add pathetic too, if you want to avoid then call your boss refuse the Extra Holiday and go to work.

Do you think that non-Christians should work on Christmas and Easter?

druidh
    Free Member

ransos – Member

As neither are exclusively Christian festivals, what difference should ones religion make to taking time off?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Take the Northern line to Kings Cross then change to the Metropolitan westbound. Easy.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Go into any Spar that is open on Christmas day. that will answer your question.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Take the Northern line to Kings Cross then change to the Metropolitan westbound. Easy.

Careful ‘theflatboy’, some of the provincials won’t get that one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No merely that if it bothers you that much……

theflatboy
    Free Member

Alienation is my middle name. Especially when it comes to the peasants. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

As neither are exclusively Christian festivals, what difference should ones religion make to taking time off?

None, which was my point. My contract says I’m entitled to paid leave on designated bank holidays. My political or religious beliefs have nothing to do with it.

ransos
    Free Member

No merely that if it bothers you that much……

It doesn’t. I’m a republican, and don’t intend to join in the celebrations. If other people wish to, that’s their choice.

DezB
    Free Member

In reality what you are saying is your going riding and will look down your nose at anyone who celebrates it but wants to make a political statement at the same time to feel more important.

Nah, I think you’re looking too deep. It’s simply avoiding something we’re not interested in. Like Eastenders (although I do look down my nose at people who watch that)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I shall mostly be riding in the Galloway Forest

nacho
    Free Member

trailmonkey – I’m “on the fence” regarding jubilee, royalty etc as I don’t really agree in principle but they do bring a lot of money in for the country. I am interested in the comments ref the top 1000 being able to clear the deficit and still be better off than 2008 – do you have any uaseful links to this info?

thanks

nacho

wrecker
    Free Member

My contract says I’m entitled to paid leave on designated bank holidays

Employment contract trumps principles every time!

teef
    Free Member

royalty – they do bring a lot of money in for the country

Are you sure about this – how exactly?

ransos
    Free Member

Employment contract trumps principles every time!

What’s principled about doing an extra day’s work that I’m not paid for?

wrecker
    Free Member

What’s principled about doing an extra day’s work that I’m not paid for?

Well none, unless you support the protests. You would be paid for it though I assume, you just wouldn’t be taking the time off. Time off which has been given for the exclusive purpose of celebrating the jubilee.

I’m trolling a bit really (I guess you can tell) but there’s a valid point in there. Somewhere.
    Doesn’t bother me how anyone spends their day, I hope they enjoy it whatever they choose to do.

ransos
    Free Member

Well none, unless you support the protests. You would be paid for it though I assume, you just wouldn’t be taking the time off. Time off which has been given for the exclusive purpose of celebrating the jubilee.

Celebrating the jubilee isn’t mandatory, just as celebrating St. Stephens day isn’t mandatory. It’s a bank holiday, that’s all.

Regarding pay – I get paid leave, which includes bank holidays. If I went to work, that’s an extra worked day.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

its a relief to see so many others bewildered by all this monarchy bollocks, i dont hate them enough to protest, and ill happily take the two days off, but i do refuse to participate in any pathetic celebrations (although I cant bring myself to remove the union jack bunting some massive git has stuck on my house) – so as mentioned in another thread were off to Wales to hopefully sail, sunbathe and ride bikes!

I swerved the royal wedding with a weekend at Glentress & Innerleithan. was tremendous!

sofaking
    Free Member

travelling north of the border to ride my bike and consume fruit based drinks

nacho
    Free Member

teef – the amount of Americans (and others) that love the monarchy and come over here mainly due to our heritage is incredible and the commercial spin offs are vast. Whether they bring more in than they cost in I have no idea, which is one of the reasons why I’m not particularly pro or anti royalty. I do know less foreigners would visit and spend their bucks if we didn’t have them…….

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

but i do refuse to participate in any pathetic celebrations

Each to their own I guess.

I’m just glad I love in a village where everyone is getting together for a big bonfire and party on Monday afternoon/Eve.

I suppose its different in small communities as we all look at it as a get together for friends and family. I wouldn’t call it pathetic.

ransos
    Free Member

I suppose its different in small communities as we all look at it as a get together for friends and family. I wouldn’t call it pathetic.

There’s a street party in our road (though I don’t know the people organising it, as they’re about 15 doors along). I’d happily participate, but for the inevitable flag waving and loyal toasts. It just makes me cringe! I suppose it’s a bit different to the religious stuff at Christmas, which I avoid by not going to church…

Solo
    Free Member

On Sunday 3 June 2012 Republic will hold a major protest against the monarchy at the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant. With thousands of republicans expected to attend, this will be the biggest and boldest anti-monarchy protest in modern times.

FFS !.
    🙄

Some people just never grow up.

teef
    Free Member

the amount of Americans (and others) that love the monarchy and come over here mainly due to our heritage is incredible and the commercial spin offs are vast

Do you actually have any proof of this? Plenty of Americans (and many other nationalities) also go to France, Italy and Greece and they don’t have any royal families. Tourists come to see the heritage – not the royals.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

God, there’s some grumpy people about.

We were asked to help organise a Jubilee Party (even though we’re away at the TT as of tonight) we agreed to help

I was expecting as we went round knocking on every door in the street for there to be a lot of negativity towards it.

But 2 things happened

1) Most people thought it was a brilliant idea and were well up for it. Lots agreed to help.
    2) We now know approximately a bazillion people on our street that we’d never spoken to before.

How can that be bad? It can’t. So you grumpy asshats ARE in the minority. Good. 😀

grum
    Free Member

Why does it make some people so apoplectic and full of hatred that some other people don’t want a monarchy? 😕

I was expecting as we went round knocking on every door in the street for there to be a lot of negativity towards it.

But 2 things happened

1) Most people thought it was a brilliant idea and were well up for it. Lots agreed to help.
    2) We now know approximately a bazillion people on our street that we’d never spoken to before.

Sounds good, any excuse for a party is fine with me – still don’t want a royal family though. If I was about I’d probably go to a party, but I’d prefer to be in Scotland mountain biking.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Do you actually have any proof of this? Plenty of Americans (and many other nationalities) also go to France, Italy and Greece and they don’t have any royal families. Tourists come to see the heritage – not the royals.

Memorabilia sales for the Royal Wedding alone where in excess of £25 million. Wouldn’t have got that without the royals.

Solo
    Free Member

Ooo, Ooooo !.

Grum, in Anti-Monarchy….. SHOCKER !!!!

😯

😉

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I don’t think people are pathetic for either celebrating it or protesting. We live in a democracy with the right to free speech, therefore people have the right to do both or neither.

I live in quite a poor area, where the majority of residents are not British, so there aren’t really any celebrations going on – people can’t afford it, quite simply, and spending money on celebrating the existence of someone who already has ridiculous amounts of money and every creature comfort one could want, at the expense of hardworking people, seems a bit ridiculous in the community I live in where most people are on the poverty line and we have a lot of problems with social integration, drugs and alcohol, racism and mistrust among all nationalities living there, and unemployed yoof. I just don’t think they relate to the Jubilee at all, and I don’t see many events being organised in these sorts of communities to promote neighbourliness, community spirit and all that jazz – it’s mostly concentrated within the middle class areas, or at least it is where I live anyway, I don’t want to make sweeping generalisations about the rest of the country.

For me, the pageant and all just kinda highlights a lot of the debates around fairness, social inequities and the ever widening gap between haves and have nots in our society, and that’s what makes me uncomfortable with it.

Sorry, I’m on my soapbox! Quiet afternoon at work 😉

teef
    Free Member

Memorabilia sales for the Royal Wedding alone where in excess of £25 million. Wouldn’t have got that without the royals.

Not sure if you’re being ironic but if not:

£25 million worth of tat – I think we could of done without it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Avoiding the Jubilee’ is closed to new replies.