Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Avid code bleeding issue.
  • lister11
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m bleeding my codes – the front one bleeds fine.

The rear – i can’t push the fluid through from the caliper to the lever. It literally will not go – despite pushing so hard on the plunger the plastic syringe tabs start to bend! i’ve even tied it without the top syringe fitted to see if an open system would start it off – nope.

However, i can push fluid DOWN through with the top plunger and by pulling the lever. I can also pressurise the lever (as in proper bleed procedure) with the lower syringe.

Confused….I am.

So – anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Or

What do you think about a reverse (top to bottom) hose bleed follwed by a proper caliper/lever/resi bleed?

thanks

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hi mate, I don’t know the answer, but have the same problem with an avid elixir. The fluid just wont go and the pressure seperated the hose from the syringe and squirted dot fluid in my eye.

lister11
    Free Member

cool. if i’ve any luck solving it i’ll keep you in the loop.

lister11
    Free Member

This … Do the brakes have reach adjustment and is it wound out all the way ? … was suggested on another forum.

Hasn’t helped me but it might you?

beicmynydd
    Free Member

The reach adjustment is a poor design, for what its worth remove the hose to see where the restiction is lever or caliper ?

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that the master-cylinder piston’s not returning fully, and blocking the transfer port in the reservoir. Pressure from the caliper end will “balloon” the seal and stop fluid passage, but from the reservoir it may be able to compress the seal’s lip, and pass through the system.Careless use of spray lube swelling the piston seal is a likely culprit. Any specific reason that you’re bleeding them?

lister11
    Free Member

yep – just getting everything straight before the mega.

So, if that is the issue (or even if it isn’t) strip/clean/rebleed?

Or,

bleed hose in reverse and then pull air out/pressurise lever as normal?

coatesy
    Free Member

Well you’ve obviously got a problem, makes sense to sort it out before it all goes wrong on the trailside.A regular full strip and service isn’t a bad idea anyway, keeps things running sweetly.

scottpat06
    Free Member

I found that when i tried to bleed “by the book” it just wouldnt work! I worked out that when the pistons are fully pushed back the fluid would not enter the cylinder to push the piston. What i did was re fitted the pads and put it back on the mount over the disc. After a few pumps i found that i could bleed them on the bike no problem because the piston is pushed out a little. I also found that this gives a responsive lever than when they were brand new. If you try this tho you may want to fit some old pads in case you get fluid on them.

Good luck

coatesy
    Free Member

That’s interesting, always bled them with the pads in place and not fully retracted, so not come across that before.Certainly worth checking out before a complete stripdown.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avid code bleeding issue.’ is closed to new replies.