Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 372 total)
  • Attention Motorcyclists…
  • SaxonRider

You all make me nervous at the best of times, simply because you look so vulnerable on the road. When you fly past me on the motorway doing 90 in the rain, I can’t help but suck my breath in and offer a quick thought for your safety.

But man, do some motorcyclists make it hard on the rest of us who want nothing but the best for them.

Today I was driving the A4136 between the A40 outside of Gloucester, and Monmouth, when I got passed by a whole bunch of motorcycles. Now some of you may know this, but the A4136 is a beautiful but twisty single carriageway, on which the lighting can vary over metres due to the way the sun gets filtered by the trees of the Forest of Dean. In any case, after being passed by these motorcycles that were pulling off mildly risky manoeuvres, things got quiet for about five or ten miles. Then I saw a bunch of cars stopped on the opposite lane, a group of people standing at the side of the road on the same side as me, and then various internal organs spread across the road.

For the first few seconds, I thought they were human parts, until I saw a deer that must have just exploded on impact. With my wife looking out the other side, she spotted the motorcycle with no front end lying in the woods, and the rider lying on the ground on his back, surrounded by fellow riders.

Thankfully, he seemed alright (although I imagine he will suffer some severe shock); but man oh man, could the rest of you be careful out there? As it was, my kids were sad enough about the deer. I would hate to come across an accident with a dead or serevely injured rider…

tomhoward

So you could drive past it, and not offer to help, much like this time?

breadcrumb

Sounds like people were already helping? I’m sure if the OP had found an injured person on the road he would of stopped!

SaxonRider

Thank you, breadcrumb.

peterfile
    Free Member

Am I the only person who yells “yeah!!!!” whenever a motorbike flies by, and then has the that tune “Danger Zone” from Topgun stuck in my head for ages afterwards?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2eoBWZp64s[/video]

crikey
    Free Member

Had a couple of motorbikes, but am getting less and less impressed with the way some bikers ride. The idea that public roads are not race tracks does seem to be hard for some to grasp.

Also been to watch a bit of the Bolton Ironman today, and saw at least 10 bikers pull up to the marshall and get told that ‘No, you can’t go that way because the road is closed’.

Like the signs have said for the last week, and all the signs say it’s closed for miles around, but you think you’re entitled to go that way..

tomhoward

Easy tiger, perhaps you should have eluded to that in the op?

Your post kind of came across as if you were the ‘victim’ because you didn’t want to look at an injured, or worse, rider.

anagallis_arvensis

First sign of the sun and the road warriors come out, some are just plain stupid..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You all make me nervous at the best of times, simply because you look so vulnerable on the road.

Please concentrate on your own driving and stop trying to drive/ride for others.

Had a couple of motorbikes, but am getting less and less impressed with the way some bikers ride. The idea that public roads are not race tracks does seem to be hard for some to grasp.

I know what you mean but I find there’s less and less like that than there used to be. Indeed today, we drove back along the A32, a popular biking road, and there were loads of bikes about, literally scores of them passed us. I find myself thinking that more of them are too slow than too fast. Saw 2 that didn’t even filter to the font of a queue at the lights, for instance.

SaxonRider

@tomhoward

A re-read suggests you have a point. [shakes hands][/shakes hands]

butcher

I’m sympathetic towards motorcyclists in the sense that I know how much hatred and disregard is directed towards myself as a cyclist. So I try too give the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes it is hard. They make me nervous quite a lot.

SaxonRider

I do my best, PeterPoddy. I just can’t help but to feel concern for my fellow human beings. Even when they seem to be doing something stupid.

RealMan
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQRv1H9_v4A[/video]

tomhoward

[shakes hands back] no harm done 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

There are good motorcyclists/there are bad motorcylists.
    There are good drivers/there are bad drivers.
    There are good cyclists/there are bad cyclists.
    There are good forum members/there are bad forum members.
    And sometimes shit happens.
    Tomhoward the word you wanted is allude, not elude. 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

I would guess the rider was going well over 100mph for the deer to have been struck ;O) If he was going 100mph then he might have seen it in time and corrected his speed. If he was going 60mph the deer would still have been sleeping ;O)

Hope the guy is o.k. Shame about the deer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Even when they seem to be doing something stupid.

Only in your opinion! 100,000 miles plus on bikes and I’m still here, as are most of us.

All I can say is that if you fancy a ride, and you’re anywhere in the south of England, I’ll gladly take you out for a ride, just so you can see what it’s all about* 🙂

Why? Because anyone who’s never been on even a middleweight commuter bike or more will have no reference point as to what it’s all about and how easy even, say, an overtake is. Something that looks fast and silly from a car can often be achieved with relaxed ease on a bike.

🙂

*Serious offer (Once my leg is fixed) I’m an advanced trained rider with a very suitable bike and a lot of pillion (riding and being one!) experience. I won’t scare you.

SaxonRider

And may you enjoy countless more miles on your bike, PP.

As for the offer, I may just take you up on it one of these days.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’ve just spent the last two hours researching motorbike instruction and possible first bike then some on here and find this 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it,Gravitysucks. Spend a few days after passing the test going up and down Rannoch moor to get the jist of how all british deer react!

Just like in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvCOiFcWNHE

juan
    Free Member

firest bike = cb500 or SRX 600 or F650 (although the dynamics of the rotax is a bit weird) End of your search 😉

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Was looking mainly at CBR600F or SV650’s mainly because I’m 6’2″ and I’m not a daft racer so will keep myself reigned in.

grantway
    Free Member

Could say the same about the riders desperately trying to get home on the A13 in East London

anagallis_arvensis

firest bike = cb500 or SRX 600 or F650 (although the dynamics of the rotax is a bit weird) End of your search 

what do you mean by dynamics a bit wierd? Slow? Most F650’s dont have the rotax single anyway. Only theold ones like mine. Current F650 is a 800cc twin, before that they were 650 twins current G650 has a single but its not made by rotax anymore, same engine though.

daveh
    Free Member

Why? Because anyone who’s never been on even a middleweight commuter bike or more will have no reference point as to what it’s all about and how easy even, say, an overtake is. Something that looks fast and silly from a car can often be achieved with relaxed ease on a bike.

Then there’s the 1000cc sportsbike, they really change what you think is possible, even if you’re a ‘middleweight commuter bike or more’ rider! If you’ve only driven a car then you’ve no idea, really, no idea. If things go wrong then they do so very quickly, and unfortunately some people pay the ultimate price for the ultimate thrill.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

before that they were 650 twins

I think since they’ve been a twin they’ve always been 800cc….. Not 100% sure though……
    It just a detuned F800 lump.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m trying to be helpful an positive then some chump comes up with

If things go wrong then they do so very quickly, and unfortunately some people pay the ultimate price for the ultimate thrill.

I give in. 🙄

Can we please quit with the negative vibes?

And what do you think I’m riding now? A CG125…..? Not going to offer pillion rides on one of those, am I?

**slaps forehead**

singletrackmind

I see alot of stupid riding on the A3 / A272 almost everyday .
    Stupid undertakes on the A3 when the traffic is moving above 70mph in the outside lane . Crossing double white lines to overtake , leaning over onto the oncoming carriageway to ‘apex’ a corner .
    All dumb .
    Is it any wonder you hear about ‘ SMIDSY’ when the bike is where it really shouldnt be?
    I know roadcraft and can tell when a car or bike is using it , but racing like its the IOM TT everywhere will only end in tears.

Why do bikers seem to think speed limits never apply to them? Especially when they are more likely to come off worst should an accident occur.

Like the idiot on the Orange /Red Repsol Honda , who seems to think doing about 80 past my flat ( 30mph limit + junction ) is clever.
    nb. cant prove its 80 , but it is max chat in 3rd.

Yes there are safe , quick riders out there and there are also alot of fast , reckless and stupid ones .

and dont get me started on guys on quads with no helmet or glasses

project
    Free Member

seems as if there are a lot of overweight telly tubbies who dress up as power rangers at the weekend,then at random places they stop at the side of the road,open their tops to show the usual white t shirt,and large overfilled belly.
    Thats without even saying anything about theor stupid overtaking manouvres,inability to stay on their side of the road, and sometimes having a token woman hanging on the back of one of them like some sort of human rucksack.

Sooner the revolution comes and they get banned along with tupperware caravans and mobile homes.

project
    Free Member

Oh and nobodys offered any regret for the poor deer who lost its life, it may have been a mother with baby deer.

chewkw
    Free Member

Poor deer …

But who’s picking up the fresh venison?

onehundredthidiot

Thing that scares me is the white line hugging on the bends. Had the wingmirror of my T5 scuffed by a weekend warrior last summer. I know what they’re doing as I did the same on a Benetton fireblade. Now don’t ride as I got the fright of my life standing it on its nose going into a corner at a speed way too fast for my ability. Got home and never rode again.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I don’t really see as valid the inference that bad riding was the cause of this. If a deer comes out a deer comes out and many sensibly driven cars hit them every year, a bike is no different.

In my experience a deer is only in your path for a fraction of a second. If you hit it at 40 then you would probably not have at 60 as it would have landed behind you.

A bike ain’t a car with crumple zones and is not designed to withstand impacts like striking a few cwt of meat (why should it be?) so the separated front end is indicative of not much at all beyond a frontal impact.

zippykona

It annoys me when I see motorbikes in queuing in traffic jams. Overtake,that’s why you get cold and wet. Passing traffic is your reward.
    Then there’s bloody quad bikes. You get cold and wet and you have you sit in traffic. Idiots.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t really see as valid the inference that bad riding was the cause of this. If a deer comes out a deer comes out and many sensibly driven cars hit them every year, a bike is no different.

I’ve read it a few times and to be fair the OP doesn’t actually suggest this, so yes, agreed.

I see alot of stupid riding on the A3 / A272 almost everyday .

What about the good riding you see there and elsewhere all the rest of the time? What about all the bad DRIVING you see there and elsewhere? No mention of those? Of course not. A point has to be made……

Like the idiot on the Orange /Red Repsol Honda , who seems to think doing about 80 past my flat ( 30mph limit + junction ) is clever.
    nb. cant prove its 80 , but it is max chat in 3rd.

Lot of inaccuracy there. If it IS max chat in 3rd, it’ll be a shitload more than 80mph for a start. I would imagine it’s well in excess off 100, 110mph. So it’s probably more like 60% chat that sounds like 100% chat to someone who doesn’t know any better.
    Also, in the same vein, I doubt it’s even close to 80, it probably just sounds like it is.
    Yep, this particular fella isn’t endearing himself to the neighbours, but I absolutely guarantee you that there’s waaaaay more riders come past you that you don’t even notice
    I could do it, no bother. Probably faster if I wanted to, and you’d not even notice. Standard cans, see? 😉

Also, fancy coming out for a ride sometime? I’m happy to oblige…. 🙂

It annoys me when I see motorbikes in queuing in traffic jams. Overtake,that’s why you get cold and wet. Passing traffic is your reward.

Very true. It annoys me to the point where I’ve actually asked people why they are sitting in the middle of a queue on a bike a couple of times.

grantway
    Free Member

What about the good riding you see there and elsewhere all the rest of the time? What about all the bad DRIVING you see there and elsewhere? No mention of those? Of course not. A point has to be made……

Not questioning the good 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not questioning the good

Exactly.
    Or mentioning it.

grantway
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Not questioning the good
    Exactly.
    Or mentioning it.

think you need to read the thread again
    Stupid

daveh
    Free Member

I’m trying to be helpful an positive then some chump comes up with

If things go wrong then they do so very quickly, and unfortunately some people pay the ultimate price for the ultimate thrill.

I give in.

Good, you won’t be missed, chump.

donsimon
    Free Member

Very true. It annoys me to the point where I’ve actually asked people why they are sitting in the middle of a queue on a bike a couple of times.

I’d tell you to rack off if you asked me. I’d ocassionally sit and ride with the traffic when I simply wanted to chill rather than race everything. None of you business what I’m doing or why!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 372 total)

The topic ‘Attention Motorcyclists…’ is closed to new replies.