Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • At one point is it accetable to go seriously ballistic at people?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

But I do find myself surprisingly calm, after a good rage, whereas if I suppress the anger, I find it nibbles away inside my head, for a long time.

I have to admit, I’m the same. I’m learning to control it but it does me no good, I end up angry for days with a little monster niggling inside.

I’ve been known to lash out at cars, then stop and give abuse to the driver when he got angry about it, but I fortunately have an ability to gauge who it is I’m talking to by the look on their face with first comment – regardless of sex, some people look meek and apologetic, they tend to get a calm chat (while I shake) and anyone who looks like I’ve interrupted their favourite tune on the radio gets a mouthful.

john

One problem if you go off on an (understandably) angry rant is that the recipient may cower and look all sheepish then, but they get time to think about it afterwards too. In the same 5 minutes that you spend thinking of that effective, witty comment, they’re having time to think about it and then possibly just dismiss the whole incident as some nutter militant cyclist who obviously completely over-reacted. The more calm approach might not seem as effective at the time, but it might make them think a bit more after the event.

‘course, some people are probably the other way around, and some are just too stupid for either approach to make any difference. Ah well.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I was once screamed at by a roadie lady dressed like a banana, I haddn’t done anything wrong her beef was “you fxxker you’re too close the the kerb!” 😯

it was a straight road, merging into two lanes leading to a mini roundabout, I was turning left, I’d seen her riding up the left but given there was a car going straight on I naturally assumed that she would wait behind me, but no she rode around the outside and hollered at me!?!

That experience seriously coloured my opinion of people who dress in all-in-one yellow lycra.

molgrips
    Free Member

Black Cab drivers and I have an ongoing war here in London…

I don’t see what the cab driver’s race has to do with it? Those kind of racist attitudes are deplorable and have no place on a public forum.

😉

By the way, I don’t know how you lot can all feel better after a shouting match. You never win, no-one does, and it’s the futility and frustration of that kind of argument that upset me the most. When I feel aggrieved, I need to get my point across and be understood by the other person – that makes me feel better. An honest apology or admission, or even a bit of understanding from a driver makes everything better, whereas hurting or upsetting them doesn’t (or shouldn’t). People need to realise that other road users are human beings, and should all treat each other this way. What upsets me more than anything is the naked anger that flows with the traffic – no way would people behave the way they do in cars when they’re out shopping or something.

hora
    Free Member

binners. This may help. Let me ride behind you in traffic to see how you filter etc? It would be helpful for tips from another rider? I stopped ALL undertaking for a start- never squeeze between a car and kerb and I ‘command’ the road, no hand signals- I point to the spot where I want to go etc.

Dont take the p1ss- seriously. I’ll show you. since I changed noone rides close to me and no near misses or me asking people to get out of their cars for a slap.

psychle
    Free Member

no way would people behave the way they do in cars when they’re out shopping or something.

You’ve never been to my local Sainsburys then, or Oxford St for that matter! It’s a jungle out there man 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

molgrips People need to realise that other road users are human beings

Hippy.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Slightly different but I remember a mate got knocked off his bike by some bloke in a Merc ML 4×4. He got up, chased after it and ripped off the wing mirror and started swearing at the driver only to realise it was the wrong car.

He looked a bit sheepish and rode off quickly before the terrified woman worked out what was happening.

Does this not speak volumes to you people?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Cheeky Monkey –

Does this not speak volumes to you people?

Um…..lots of merc 4×4’s about?

Errr….that you can destroy people property for no reason and get away with it? Result!

hora
    Free Member

I’ve said this countless times. You will have to be pretty hard to go toe to toe with a motorist that you dont see until they climb out. Rip someones wing mirror off or damage a car and you’ve suddenly changed the dynamics of the whole situation. If I didnt see a cyclist and had a near miss and he didnt give me a chance to apologise – well. I wouldnt stand by and see my property vandalised. Some drivers would go much much further, scarily-so.

Do you think roadcyclists get into angry confrontations everytime they go out on a 40mile ride? Learn to anticipate, treat everyone as a noddy ffs. Calm down and live longer. Is it a commuter-rage thing? Are you the same if you drive a car? Impatient?

daj
    Free Member

I see a similar incident in Tetbury the other week, Row of parked cars down the main road. Cars coming the other way a roadie heading up the road minding his own and this beemer couldnt sit behind him and wait to get past the parked cars so pulled around him then of course noticed that it was going to be tight with cars coming the other way so just cut the roadie up pulling across him.

It was quite something to watch the Roadie went nuts … punching and kicking the beemer as he was riding along … The beemer driver not engaging at all just pretending that nothing was happening …. Me and the Mrs cheering for the Roadie ….

AlasdairMc

Rip someones wing mirror off or damage a car and you’ve suddenly changed the dynamics of the whole situation

I agree. Shouting is one thing, but the second you make it physical you are immediately stepping it up a level. It’s also criminal damage and it’s impossible to argue that your actions justified this response.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

By the way, I don’t know how you lot can all feel better after a shouting match

That’s because you are different. Some people are just wired up a bit tight, and are naturally aggressive. One of the positive aspects of being like that, is that some people can also be very good ‘under fire’, and do things when ‘thinking about it’ would be detrimental. IE, running into a burning building or something. It’s because this type of mind possibly shuts off the ‘consequences’ section, and just runs on instinct, to do what is necessary.

Fact is, that cyclists are perceived to be mostly quite peaceful, I think, and it’s a shock when they aren’t. Some selfish/aggressive drivers might subconsciously expect cyclists to back down, so it can come as quite a shock, when they don’t.

snowslave

[rolls back eyes so only whites are visible, pauses for 3 mins to reflect]Velly interesting grasshopper. I recall the blind bloke on kung fu would advise glasshopper that violence is NEVER the answer. This was usually just before Kung Fu unleashed massive and nifty fist and footwork retributions which was the whole point of watching the programme anyway. Wahoo!

Negative consequences of what you did might include: police trouble, the person you square up to could have a heart attack and die leaving kids as orphans and no one to feed the hamster, they might turn out to be a psychopath and sort you good an proper. There is always a better way, you need to stay calm, reflective, think through your options and work this out. Ho ho ho. You know this already, have said so in fact.

Reality is sometimes when someone does something v bad on us, like nearly wipe us out on our bikes, we lose control, we rant we might even lash out physically cos it just makes us feel better. In that heated moment our adrenaline rises, we are now subconsciously thinking fight or flight.

The fight “instinct” is strongly tempered if the perpetrator was a great big v hard looking monster with love and hate tattoed on his knuckles and an expression that suggests he may relish pounding us into pulp as it’s his hobby. (Incidentally, noticed a lot of these have cars with “fighting crime, protecting people” on the side?). I’d be interested to hear if anyone has KNOWINGLY squared up to this type of person in bike rage? I flipping well wouldn’t! Shows how instinctive it really is though if we pick our targets?

Entirely understandable, tis human, we all do it, me included.

Doesn’t make it right though, does it glasshopper?

snigger….

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

” … ripped off the wing mirror and started swearing at the driver only to realise it was the wrong car.

He looked a bit sheepish and rode off quickly before the terrified woman worked out what was happening.”

Getting any hints yet?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you think roadcyclists get into angry confrontations everytime they go out on a 40mile ride?

From discussions with a couple of pro roadies I know, yup.

Still, calming down is a good idea. I agree, as a driver I’d like the chance to apologise if I’ve made a mistake, especially if that mistake were questionable as a mistake (as with banana comment above). Still doesnt help when the red mist descends.

hora
    Free Member

I made a gesture etc at a BMW 750. Lad stopped in the middle of the road, jumped out and was pumping my hand and apologising profusely for cutting me up. A shaved-head very large Scouse lad. I had an open-mouth, it was that quick. He could easily have belted me off the bike but he didnt. When he drove off I was still in the same spot with my mouth still wide open.

Imagine I had hit his car? I’d have gone down like a sack of shit.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I can’t beleive you let FlexGirl say what I have dangling between my legs does not occur to me when someones nearly tried to kill me without asking what SHE has dangling between her legs?

Pics!?!

glenh
    Free Member

I was pulling out of a street side parking spot in my car the other day. I couldn’t see anything in my mirror (or by turning around) because of the low sun.
    So, I pulled out really slowly. As I was doing so, some guy on a bike came past and started shouting a swearing at me.

I almost got out of the car an owned him with a pair of bombers I had on the passenger seat.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I wouldnt stand by and see my property vandalised. Some drivers would go much much further, scarily-so.

So the reaction by a cyclist, to almost being killed, possibly, is somehow less comprehensible than someone who’s car’s being damaged??

So you can almost kill me, and I should stay calm, but I kick your motor (causing **** all real damage, usually), and that’s grounds for attacking me?

I’d take you down, anyway, Hora. Binners says you’re as soft as shite. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree. Shouting is one thing, but the second you make it physical you are immediately stepping it up a level. It’s also criminal damage and it’s impossible to argue that your actions justified this response.

My brother once punched out the side window of a car that was in teh process of running him off the road. He got the reg, called the police and the police took him round to the guys house and forced the guy to apologise and told him the window was his own problem.

coffeeking
    Free Member

but I kick your motor (causing **** all real damage, usually)

Kicking a car causes **** all damage? Get real! You’re either the worlds most feable beanpole of a person or you’re living a dreamworld. Anyone kicking my car would get the raw end of the stick that is me, even if I had to stop in traffic to do it. That said, as I said earlier, I have been known to slap cars on the window (no damage, flat impact just sounds loud).

binners

Hora. Shut the **** up!!! If I was in a car and saw you pointing to where you want to go, I’d slam it in reverse and take you out on general principle. Then run you over again just to make sure!!

🙂

hora
    Free Member

binners, I’d easily dodge your Czech tractor. Its like a sodding Ocean-liner interms of turning circle… 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Kicking a car causes **** all damage?

Erm, not compared to smashing someone’s spine, no…

Leaves a dent, at worst. Won’t prevent the car from running properly. RPG into the engine might…

BTW, I don’t think us ‘angry young men’ are condoning violence in any way; merely trying to explain why we are compelled to act in a violent manner, when we feel our safety is being threatened.

hora
    Free Member

BTW, I don’t think us ‘angry young men’ are condoning violence in any way; merely trying to explain why we are compelled to act in a violent manner, when we feel our safety is being threatened.

Man or woman accidently swerves into your car causing an accident. So you would get out, pull them out of the car and thoroughly kick them senseless I bet? That will teach ya for causing an accident yer slaaarg. See that word ‘accident’? What does it mean? Without malice? If its without malice how can you prejudge? Would you first check the lighting conditions, are you visible enough? roadlit properly? Bad conditions? Adverse lighting etc?

Or should you grow up?

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you’re Christian Bale you can go ballistic when someone walks across the set. NSFW

Bale Rant

and the rather good remix

Bale Remix

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

snowslave –

The fight “instinct” is strongly tempered if the perpetrator was a great big v hard looking monster with love and hate tattoed on his knuckles and an expression that suggests he may relish pounding us into pulp as it’s his hobby. (Incidentally, noticed a lot of these have cars with “fighting crime, protecting people” on the side?). I’d be interested to hear if anyone has KNOWINGLY squared up to this type of person in bike rage? I flipping well wouldn’t! Shows how instinctive it really is though if we pick our targets?

Years ago, on my way back from JKD class I got blatantly cut up by a guy driving a people carrier. He almost drove over the top of me to turn left. I screamed and shouted and made various hand gestures (the use your indicators gesture). The car came to an abrupt halt, and out stepped a huge guy, about 6’3 and 18 stone with a boxers nose. He challenged me to stop and come to him which I did. We squared up and stood very cagily shouting at each other about 4 feet apart. People round about were looking pretty stunned.

He definately wanted a piece of me, and I him. What he didnt realise was I was armed with nunchaku at the time and was contemplating using them to negate the size difference – my heart is pumping hard just remembering this.

It quickly developed into a stalemate as neither of us would attack the other – like myself, he was probably keen not be seen as the instigator. We backed off and went our seperate ways.

hora – =

Man or woman accidently swerves into your car causing an accident. So you would get out, pull them out of the car and thoroughly kick them senseless I bet? That will teach ya for causing an accident yer slaaarg. See that word ‘accident’? What does it mean? Without malice? If its without malice how can you prejudge? Would you first check the lighting conditions, are you visible enough? roadlit properly? Bad conditions? Adverse lighting etc?

Or should you grow up?

Police have stopped using the word accident in favour of collision. Accident implies no fault – which is rarely the case.

snowslave

Just to labour the point – I understand in the heat of the moment judgement may be clouded, but not to the degree we first assess whether the object of our anger is a meat head liable to kick our heads clean off. Which says much…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Erm, not compared to smashing someone’s spine, no…

Leaves a dent, at worst

The spine isnt part of the question, this was an accident that was avoided – there is no need to then do damage. If someone had knocked you off, broken your spine and THEN you try to damage the car, I can see it (well, sort of!) but doing it when things have been avoided really is just childish.

Leaves a dent, likely a scratch too, on something that costs a significant amount and likely reduces the resale value – while you may not consider it important, they may then choose to consider you unimportant and get out and make sure your spine is broken. Respect other peoples property, they may have made a genuine mistake and be thoroughly sorry about it, yet you go on to cause futher damage – zero point.

Still, we know you’re in need of anger management classes already so I’ll stop there before I get caught in a pointless argument!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Accident implies no fault – which is rarely the case.

Accident does not imply no fault, there is always fault in accidents, but fault does not mean the person INTENDED to cause injury/damage etc.

hora
    Free Member

TBH if any bad cyclist cuts me and challenges me, I’d be climbing out of my car armed with my cat o nine tails and trusty attack-Parrot. Seriously, come and get-some. My Parrot has a sharpened razor-beak and mini laser-cannons mounted on its wings.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, coffeeking; what I mean is, when some **** is being a ****, deliberately putting you in danger. I wouldn’t boot someone’s car, if I felt they had genuinely made a mistake, although I have done that if i am about to be crushed on their inside, to make them steer away and not kill me. That’s an accepted emergency procedure. And banging on their roof.

Most of the damage I’ve inflicted has come after the driver has shown direct disregard to my safety and right to be on the road, once challenged by me.

‘Scuse me mate, you nearly had me off back there, try to look out for other people please.’
    ‘**** off you ****!’

Bosh!

That type of situation, I’m talking about. Booting someone’s car is definitely preferable to booting their face, and also carries a far lesser sentence.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hora, you’d be cowering in your seat, having shat yourself…

hora
    Free Member

Are the people who kick/hit cars also the same ones who will throw stones at house windows at night then run off?

hora
    Free Member

Err Rudeboy no. My Parrot is trained to kill.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Are the people who kick/hit cars also the same ones who will throw stones at house windows at night then run off?

No, we are the people who go and confront them.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

My Ninja Ferret would rip off your Parrot’s head, and sh1t down it’s neck…

hora
    Free Member

Rudeboy, as your ninja Ferret is busy I would be swooping in with my cat o’ nine tails.

snowslave

Ooops sorry, posted that before I saw your point Gnar Gnar. I think the significance here is you were prepared for a show down in the knowledge that you have the kung fu powers and erm weapons(!!!) to take on even a big psycho, so irrespective of who steps out of the car you feel confident you can handle them physically if necessary. Kind of exceptional circumstances which doesn’t disprove my point I think. Do you think if you didn’t have the kung fu skills and you had seen the size of the guy you would still have done that?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘At one point is it accetable to go seriously ballistic at people?’ is closed to new replies.