• This topic has 68 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by momo.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • [As a mountain biker] where's the best place to live in England?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Anywhere with good riding on your doorstep. I resent driving to ride, time spent driving is time you could have spent on the bike. Not that I don’t ever, but being about to ride good stuff from your front door is priceless.

brooess
    Free Member

Wot Bunnyhop said.
    + Cheshire country lanes for road riding

nbarker
    Free Member

Ross on Wye – Herefordshire. Local hills with Welsh mountains on the doorstep and the Forest of Dean within 20mins ride – brilliant

Will you please take me around the forest of dean next time I stay at my sisters in ross-on-wye (Peterstow). I went on my own and asked in the bike hire/repair shop in the carpark for a bit of a guide to the best bits only to be given a map of the boring fire trail. I searched for cheaky routes but found nothing. It made the transpennine trail look hard core to the max. I can only assume I completely missed all the good stuff.

No problem but there’s lots of really good riding around Ross too. If you send me contact I could take you on local trails – we normally ride very early on weekends (6-7am)

montylikesbeer

Rossendale

Rivington 20 minutes away,
    Peak District 60 minutes away,
    The Lakes 1 hours away
    North Wales 2 hours way,
    Calderdale 15 mins hour away.
    East Lancs moors: door step
    Lee and Crag: back door
    Yorkshire Dales 1 hours away.

Andituk
    Free Member

I hate where I live for riding, and yet I love it at the same time.

There’s naff all riding out of the door, but there’s so many good places within short distance from Manchester, and good easy links to get there.

_tom_
    Free Member

Anywhere West Midlands seems good to me – Wyre Forest/Ribbesford, Bringewood, Hopton, Long Mynd etc, then not exactly a long drive over to Wales. East Midlands/Anglia is probably one of the worst!

julioflo
    Free Member

In the words of Feeder

“Buy a house in Devon, Devon, Devon. Drink cider from a lemon????????”

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I live in Wigan and feel spoilt rotten with choices, N Wales 45 mins, lakes an hour, peaks and hour, rivvy 20 mins, Lee/Cragg Quarry half hour and loads of other routes within an hours drive. Quite often dash up M6 for two hours and then into the 7 Stanes places like Mabie, Ae etc..

Grimy
    Free Member

No problem but there’s lots of really good riding around Ross too. If you send me contact I could take you on local trails – we normally ride very early on weekends (6-7am)

I might be down in a fortnight or so! Id really appreciate a tour. I cant see your email address but mines Adam_Marsland at hotmail dot com 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Isle of sheppey

😆

+1 though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wigan.

Apart from Pies and the rain, it is pretty good for getting to some lovely MTB locations.

Wales 1 hour, better bits of Wales 2 hours, Lakes 1.5 hours, Peaks 1 hour, Rivington 20 minutes.

Close to Liverpool airport for Sleezyjet flights to Geneva too.

rewski
    Free Member

Lucky to live near North Downs in winter/autumn and South Down spring/summer.

theotherjonv

Having never lived anywhere else (as a rider) I can’t compare anywhere else, but TBH I’m still not disappointed with the riding around the Guildford area after a good 10+ years of riding it. Miles and miles of trails within easy reach of my house – I think that’s the key, as long as you don’t have to drive to ride (Sometimes I choose to)

No matter what Loddrik says……

rOcKeTdOg

Lickey End and not just for the comedy name and looks you get when you tell people

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Being able to ride from your doorstep onto any type of trail that makes you grin = win.

After spending last weekend in Dumfries and riding around there, I can safely say that I’d have rather give up the 3 hour each way drive and have another 6 hours riding on my local trails…

prahran
    Free Member

Calderdale. The End.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am holed up in the South Lakes too – it’s rather good really, although I still miss Scotland and the enlightened access legislation 🙁 The riding out of Ulverston itself isn’t brilliant, there are still a couple of local bws that I haven’t had a try at yet… but if you drive for 10 – 30 minutes that brings most of the Lakes classics in range.

For riding I would probably have been better off somewhere around Kendal, but I quite like the quality of life in Ulverston (some good pubs and not the hoards of tourists!)

Oh – and being close to the Duddon Valley is rather nice 🙂

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Stroud area always looks like its got loads of local potential & less than an hours drive in most directions gets you Quantocks, South Wales, Mid Wales, Salsbury plain etc

titusrider
    Free Member

Dorking surrey for the best in the south (if you need London access for work for eg)

flebby
    Free Member

Hadleigh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I spent 4 years in Sheffield, it’s not great.

You could probably cover all the legal trails in the Dark Peak in one loop given sufficient fitness, and they’re overated, most of the decents are about as much fun/technical as riding down the stairs from our flat to the car park.

Wokingham isn’t bad actualy,
    Chilterns for a ‘natural’ day out on bridleways,
    Swinley for when everywhere else is mashed,
    Tunnel Hill, Cesars Camp, Porrisge Pots for night rides.
    Surrey hills close enough for a day out.
    M4 to South Wales

Wages are higher (so more bling for bikes)

But I’d still prefer to be in the Lakes.

GEDA
    Free Member

Maybe this should be what is the worst area as there seems to be lots of good places.

neil853
    Free Member

I love living in the North West, been here for nearly three years now after living in the South East (Surrey) for 4 years and being from the North East. The North West (IMO) has the most variety of riding and yet you still have the big city lights of Manchester (20 mins from me) If you want it.

Having North Wales/Peaks/Lakes/Dales all within 1:30 mins is awesome, what more could you want? 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

South Manchester:
    Rivington 40 minutes away,
    Peak District 30 minutes away,
    The Lakes 1-2 hours away
    North Wales 1-2 hours way,
    Calderdale 1 hour away.
    Yorkshire Dales 1.5 hours away.

Sounds shit, why not just live at one of those places listed and be 0 hours drive away.

sefton
    Free Member

I would say you’d be pushed to live anywhere better than the Lakes!

North Bolton myself which has good trails and is 1 hour driving to peak dist, lakes

TheBrick
    Free Member

Not the New Forest. No topology here. Purbecks is close but a little too far to ride to and from to start a ride. I hate driving to ride unless it’s for a few days away.

globalti
    Free Member

Calderdale, home of STW. It’s Britain’s best MTBing area by a long shot. Cheap beer too.

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t say about anywhere else but if I didn’t care about increasing my commute a significant amount but still needed to work London-ish, I’d move to Dorking.

momo

Not Lincoln, which is why I’m driving up to Guisborough tomorrow for a weekends worth of riding out on’t moors 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘[As a mountain biker] where's the best place to live in England?’ is closed to new replies.