• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Artificial lawns …
  • stox
    Free Member

Have you got one?
    Would you recommend?

We have a yard with a small area of grass that we turfed a few years ago but it’s not looking its best.
    Thinking this would be a solution to make the area look a lot tidier for us and for prospective buyers when we come to sell the house within the next year or so.
    No idea if it’s expensive or not so may be looking to get somebody out for a quote ..

wwaswas

From the thread title I was expecting some astro-turfing by a spammer 😉

sandwicheater

Someone on my dog walk route has had their front lawn done (and assume the back).

It just looks odd. Really stands out as fake but, after a year it’s not changed one jot and one will assume over that year it’s needed no upkeep so more time on your bike?

Hmmm, i’ve been no help, IGMC.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Got fed up trying to grow grass in my garden. Soil is crap, no sun and it’s more of a yard anyway! Decided to rip the lot out and put down artificial grass so the kids can actually play in the garden. The local cats hate it and stay away which is another bonus! Just do the job properly would be my advice….
    I created a border with 4×4 timber, then a about 140 mm of ballast sand then 50 mm of sharp sand…. Then a whack with a whacking plate. Take time to get level! I also used some foam underlay which stops weeds growing through and makes it softer underfoot.
    Been down for almost 8 months now and it’s still looking as good as the day it went down. I put a very slight slope on it down to back gate so rain just runs off (it’s permeable anyway so water will not sit on top)

29erKeith
    Free Member

none myself but got a mate who’s used it a fair bit. there is some good stuff about which actually looks ok according to him but it pricey, and he said don’t whatever you do put any in if it needs a join. As that looks awful.

sounds like your area is small so you should be ok on both fronts. As much as my grass is a PITA I still wouldn’t personally though but I can see the attraction and I’m sure it’ll suit some places\people

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Yes and yes.

A definite best buy in our household. Has transformed muddy, mossy lawn to all year round, free draining, useable playing and sitting area. After a downpoor, it takes about 30 mins to be completely dry if the sun is out.

It cost about £500 for a 4m x 8m piece and we laid it ourselves. Easy enough once you take the time to level the ground, wead it and get some sand and permeable membrane down to inhibit weeds.

My tip would be to spend as much as you are comfortable with and get a good blended mix of grass blades – not the uniform green stuff which is cheaper and looks it.

We are a lawnmower free family. 😀

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Edit: I’m not talking about Dons ^^

Hohum
    Free Member

Personally speaking I would look at doing something else with the piece of ground, like digging up all the turf and putting some shrubs in.

However, I guess that artificial lawns are a bit like wigs and some look better than others, but I guess that comes at a price.

stox
    Free Member

I have a smaller area to cover than doncorleoni shows up there ^ , basic rectangle shape , so wouldn’t be any joins

stox
    Free Member

Personally speaking I would look at doing something else with the piece of ground, like digging up all the turf and putting some shrubs in.

Thanks … But no I don’t want a yard full of shrubs

Longarmedmonkey

You can get fake lawns with weeds in now; for that real/fake look.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

This is the stuff I used….. It actually looks much better after it has been down for a bit. It’s not actually as artificial as it looks in my pic!

I would have preferred real grass yes but when you have active toddlers they need something to run around on!

I did not want to spend a fortune… You can spend much more per square m if you want.

http://www.expressgrass.com/selhurst-artificial-grass.php

theteaboy
    Free Member

Our back garden is north-facing, overhung by big trees and poorly-drained. It never stood a chance and became a mossy swamp that the kids couldn’t play in for more than about a month a year.

We covered it with Namgrass Green Meadow and it’s like having a new playroom. It’s amazing. The kids have been playing outside in the dark for most of the winter (their choice, not because we chuck them outside…)

£1,500 inc labour.

One thing to bear in mind is that if it’s very obvious and accessible, some lawns have been known to ‘disappear’ thanks to local scrotes.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

One thing to bear in mind is that if it’s very obvious and accessible, some lawns have been known to ‘disappear’ thanks to local scrotes.

Dealing is grass or weed?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

This is after a year of being down. I did have to join a small section over by the shed but if you do it properly you can hardly notice it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Artificial lawns …’ is closed to new replies.