Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Arrrrrrgh…. Ive cut my steerer too short.. help please.
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Just to distract from missing frame deliveries Ive gone and done it.
    Cant believe i managed that one… brand new carbon forks.
    Distracted by kids, the dog and a shitty headache ive ballsed up my steerer cut.
    It might just be savable with…
    A low stack headset cover.. (Ive got an integrated FSA headset 41.8 upper)measures 16mm in stack height.
    A single bolt low height stem such as the truvativ XR 3D.. the one ive got is 41mm.

I need about 17mm to save it… whats the lowest headset cover i can get ?
    Help me please.
    I dont have any other options as i cant get replacement forks.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

17mm!?

Sorry to hear that but that might be ambitious

What frame and forks is it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Tell me this ain’t the Tripster!

Anyway, can you lose a few spacers? Or did you really do yourself a mischief?

ratherbeintobago

Syntace Flatforce stem?

Otherwise, can you get an new CSU?

paule
    Free Member

How long a stem are you using? If it’s short, the 50mm Tioga/bikehut ones are really low stack and might work.

wwaswas

can you get an new CSU

I assume they’re rigid forks?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Tell me this ain’t the Tripster!

Yup.

RustyMac

17mm is a lot to lose,

A stem may lose you 7mm going to a 35mm one. Headset top cap may lose you 5mm, so you are stumped if you have no spacers to remove.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Need a stem with stack lower than 41mm.
    Need a headset cover lower than 16mm.

wwaswas

do smaller frame sized tripsters have a shorter headtube?

Can you find someone with a smaller frame and uncut steerer to swap with?

IA
    cloudnine
    Free Member

Can probably get away with 15mm..
    It is the smallest size 48cm frame so no swapsies.
    There are no replacement tripster forks.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

You know the steerer doesn’t have to quite come up to the top of the stem, don’t you?

cloudnine
    Free Member

You know the steerer doesn’t have to quite come up to the top of the stem, don’t you?

Yes.

I know its savable with lower stack stuff.. just dont know where to find them.

If it it an alu steerer…

Carbon. Brand new carbon forks. To fit the mother of beautiful Ti bikes. It will just be a little lower at the front than i had maybe planned.

rollodes
    Free Member

The old spank spike stems had super low stack height: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Stems,39/Spank/Spike-Stem,7027#product-specs

Ps just sent you an email about saddle

rollodes
    Free Member

26mm!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It was a complete non-brain engaged moment of forgetting to add on the height of the stem when i had a pen in my hand ready to cut. I momentarily nearly cried.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Rollo.. its for a CX / Road bike / do it all bike.. the spank may not work looks wise

weeksy

Your forks don’t work ANY wise currently… who cares about looks when you’re throwing carbon forks in the bin ?

TiRed

Just buy some new forks. Plenty of full carbon monocoque disk forks around.

cookeaa

Odyssey do a quite low-stack integrated headset:

I suppose you could you consider a BMX stem to go with it like this:

22.2mm bars might be an issue…

How about a DMR “Defy Stem:

31mm stack height apparently…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just looking for a cheaper option.. it was quite a special purchase followed by a very special mistake

cookeaa

Ah sorry just realised this is for a tripster so I doubt you want a 50mm DH stem, how about a Thompson X2 – 36mm stack height…

Jamie
    Free Member

Give Kinesis a shout? Normally quite helpful, and might be able to suggest something?

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/contact/sales/

coatesy
    Free Member

If it’s any help, i’ve skimmed a similar type of headset cover down to 5mm depth on a lathe, should open up the choice of stems you can use.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If it in anyway eases your pain, I ruined my rear shock at the weekend, distracted set my torque wrench to ftlb instead of inch.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Slam that stem bearing cover.

http://metallicpoutine.com/shop/headset-bearing-cover-caad10/

need to buy via a dealer though.

Planet X /On oNe CNC stem has a stack of 35mm.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STOOCNC/on-one-ultralight-cnc-stem

I believe superstar have the same stem

jamiep
    Free Member

Ragley Stubbing stem has a low stack height (30mm)

swampi
    Free Member

Is it the standard tripster fork, what length steerer do you need?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Do you have the offcut? Can you get an aluminium insert bonded in and stick a bit back on?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it’s a carbon steerer, it should always be slightly proud of the stem with a spacer above it, to spears the load out over as much area as possible…..

tpbiker
    Free Member

wouldn’t one of those steerer expanders be fine for a road/cx bike? Works in exactly the same way as an old quill stem that people use to use back in the day. Cost you about a tenner.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Would this 5mm top bearing cover do the trick??
    http://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannondale-Road-Headset-5mm-Top-Bearing-Cover,-KP253/product_detail/3-40270

Which would give me 11mm and just need a lower stack stem of about 35/36mm.. which gives me more options on a stem

somafunk

Give Matt at Upgrade bikes a call and ask him if they have any spare Tripster forks lying about.

cloudnine
    Free Member

This is the response i had from upgrade earlier today… We actually do not even have enough forks for the amount of frames we have here at present, we are currently running behind with the factory production. So unfortunately, bad news, we cannot help with a replacement fork. We simply cannot get enough of these framesets, let along the forks on their own.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I would get someone to turn a a stepped plug for the top of the fork
    Extends 3 inches inside with a slight taper to it, glue it in on the brightside you could included the thread for the topcap in the job

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Arrrrrrgh…. Ive cut my steerer too short.. help please.’ is closed to new replies.