Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Argh Formula R1 HELP! what Can I do – red bolt sheered off.
  • Janesy
    Free Member

I had to realign the rear brake on the bars. The screw loosened perhaps a turn and felt some resistance. Could not tighten or loosen.
    Sprayed a little GT85 and Triple checked that anti clock wise would loosen it gave it a go and…….

What Can I do!?

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Can you get at the end with needle-nosed plyers?

Failing that drill it out and get a new thread and larger bolt put in?

Or give it to your LBS…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you sworn yet?

Janesy
    Free Member

You have NO idea!!! yes I’m still swearing!

I tried the pliers but the screw aint budging.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Drill time…..
    Try drilling a smaller hole in the remainin bolt and then use an easy out. It has a LH thread so as you screw into the bolt it bites and hopefully undoes the remaining bit of bolt…
    Give it a good soak in penetrating oil like plus gas for a day first.
    You could try warming it with boiling water too….

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Is there enough screw sticking out to cut a groove then use a regular flat bladed screwdriver?

Janesy
    Free Member

Well that was lucky! Managed to use a normal metal drill bit, on the return the small screw came out. Although I think I may have damaged a bit of the thread…. Will have to buy insanely expensive red bolts now. 🙁

If I were to buy the bolt somewhere else, what size is it? anyone know and where to get it from?

baznav73
    Free Member

Probably not a good idea to guess but i think they are M4.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Take the other bolt to a nut and bolt supplier.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Send it back to Hope………..oops, sorry.

Northwind

Expensive bolts… Either stump up if you want another light bolt or take the one from the other lever and measure it up and get a less light, stronger bolt.

FWIW, there’s a specific tightening and removing order for these bolts- when fitting the top one must be fitted first and torqued to 3nm, then the bottom one- removing is the reverse of fitting. Weightweenie parts sometimes need a bit more care.

Janesy
    Free Member

Mate had a few M4 bolts which were steel. Used those.

Bikes all working now. I am a very lucky boy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Argh Formula R1 HELP! what Can I do – red bolt sheered off.’ is closed to new replies.