Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Are XTR pedals worth all the money?
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Replacing my M505 Spd's. (A bike shop had to get the off) Do I spend a pile on Xt or XTR pedals or perhaps, half to a third of the cost on some M540's. Are XT and XTR worth the dosh?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I think 540's are the same as XT. They're good anyway. I've not used XTR.

trail_rat
    Free Member

xtr just lighter – i have 2 sets on my bikes now as i got them very cheap – i wouldnt pay RRP for them for sure !

speaker2animals

I got mine from one of the travelling bike sales so they were about 60% of cost. Very easy to get in and I felt a little too easy release. Don't know about longevity, my Inbred 29er with em got was nicked after only three weeks.

I'd have them again if they were cheap enough but to be honest I doubt that anything beats 540s when you take cost in to account.

davefarmer
    Free Member

I ride pdm540s XT And XTR pedals.

Between 540 and Xt, Bearings have never needed adjusting on the XT pair, but quite regularly on the 540

Teflon coated XTRs have a much nicer and smoother clip in and out, they always work, all the time. even in compacted snow. I had to push for about 400m tonight, they then clipped in no worries.

A good question to ask is, are XTR pedals a bargain when compared with the stupidly expensive (and crap) triple ti egg beaters, or ti axled times. I reckon they are well worth it, even at full price.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way IMO. Even cheap ones last years if looked after, weight difference is minimal.

Spend the savings on something worthwhile, not a "bling" logo…

Slogo
    Free Member

i went for crank bros egg beaters and my mate went xtr after a few rides he is wishing he got crank bros and the xtr pedals are starting to show surface rust!!!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I've got M520s and they are fine. Just look shit. but then you can't even see them when you're riding.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a pair of XTR on one bike and M520s on another.Yes the XTRs are nice,super smooth bearings,nice to clip in and out of,but in terms of functionality they offer very little extra and are only about 50g lighter.
    I got mine for free,btw!

stevestunts
    Free Member

I've been running a pair of XTR for a year now and during that time have absolutely wellied them into various big rocks, etc. They just shrug it off, not a vestige of play in the bearings and actually very little in the way of visible injury.

They clear extremely well – any problems clipping in have been due to the cleat being caked in material, rather than the pedal itself.

I also have a pair of at least 15 year old SPDs, not sure what model but they were the top-end when I bought them, and although the actual claw interface is knackered through wear (the cleats rattle around inside them), the bearings are like new. In all that time, I've never even so much as taken them to bits to look inside.

By comparison, I seemed to spend more time replacing the bearings in my Crank Brothers pedals than I did riding the bike they were fitted to. Total rubbish.

cynic-al
    Free Member

stevestunts – Member
    I've been running a pair of XTR for a year now and during that time have absolutely wellied them into various big rocks, etc. They just shrug it off, not a vestige of play in the bearings and actually very little in the way of visible injury.

They clear extremely well – any problems clipping in have been due to the cleat being caked in material, rather than the pedal itself.

and you've not ridden cheaper ones to compare with, no?

woodsman
    Free Member

How do you adjust the bearings please?

Ok, undo the nut, is there some adjustment from then to take up the play..

stevestunts
    Free Member

Personally, no. I have plenty of riding mates who've got on fine with other Shimano models.

I didn't actually advise buying XTR over anything else, just stated my experiences of the product.

pinches
    Free Member

bought some 520s about 4yrs ago, never maintained, never felt the need to replace them, spend £70 to save 50g.

jcromton
    Free Member

I operate 520s with no hastles. I got mine for free from a shop because the left one clicks. Sure, it clicks, but still after a summer of guiding does the job just fine. I was under the impression all the pedals were the same, just lighter with XTR. If they are smoother and teflon coated etc. I'd say go for them if you have the coin.

speaker2animals

I have a pair of the original shimano spd pedals that were bought in 1994. I've stripped and relubed them 3 times and they are currently awaiting a greasing. But as I have two working pairs of 540's not got round to it. Took my bike in to one shop for some work and the staff were talking of buying them off me (the originals) as antique curiosities. They are heavy compared to all the modern models and a lot more prone to clogging in mud due to the very closed frame design. You can't knock the longevity of them though.

speaker2animals

Merlin have got 540s at £35 and XT (770) at £54. I'd save the £19 personally.

alpin
    Free Member

i bought a set of cheapo 20€ shimano clickys for the road bike and can tell no difference between them and the XT on the mtb.

i think the mechanism is exactly the same. the body is a little heavier but one pedal cancels out the other…..

rob1984p
    Free Member

Pretty sure the two or three pairs of 520's i've had have not cost more than £20 each and I just can't see that the XTR at five times the price is anything like 5 times the pedal.

Coasting
    Free Member

Four years down the road and the xtr are still going trouble free,then ask are they worth it.Simple the best around in my opinion.Bolt them on and forget them

rob1984p
    Free Member

Sorry, to clarify I don't mean I have replaced knackered 520's with new ones I mean i've had them on various bike at different stages.

Marge
    Free Member

I've got a selection ranging from 520 through to XTR.
    XTR & XT have been faultless so far.
    The cheapest 520 clicks on the left hand side but still functions fine & the the 540's feel like they need a re-grease or something as they don't spin quite so nicely.

njee20
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn't pay near retail for them. When they were £70 they were great, not at nearly double that!

540s will do the job just as well!

solarider
    Free Member

Same as a number of people have said. If you can get them for less than £70 (I have 6 pairs and never paid more than £65 a pair new) they are definitely the best out there for bearing quality, ease of entry and exit and (relative) weight. Not worth full RRP in terms of performance difference over XT. I also have 2 pairs of XT on commuters and they are almost as nice. The main tangible difference is in the clip in and out which is noticeably more buttery with XTR. Not always a good thing as they can feel less distinct. Well, there's a surprise for you, XTR is better than XT but only just. Funny that!

smurf
    Free Member

I use XTR on 1 bike and another cheaper Shimano on another (they are flats one side, clip in the other). A small difference in overall quality, but as I didn't pay anything close to full price for the XTR, I think they are still the ones I'd buy if I needed another pair.

Look for sales at the shops or a new / nearly new pair on here – a fraction of the RRP.

smurf

clubber
    Free Member

I just use 520s – even on my posh bikes – I really can't see any point in spending more for so little weight saving. The 520s last ages and when they do go rattly (a couple of years +) if you're bothered (as they still actually work fine) then replace them and get a new set of cleats (which cost about £13 on their own) with them which usually ties in nicely with when I need new cleats…

If you really must spend the cash, then the price difference could easily save you the same amount of weight elsewhere.

solarider
    Free Member

You don't really buy XTR for weight saving as there isn't much to be had. It's more about bearings and the teflon coating which makes getting in and out easier. It really does work, but not to the RRP difference extent.

bigyinn
    Free Member

XTR same basic design as M540 / XT just lighter axles and coated bindings.
    M540s / XT = same pedals, just reversed colours.
    M520 same bindings as M540, slightly different axle & pedal body.

Got M520s on my daily hack bike and M540 / XTs on good bike. Cant say i notice a difference betwwen any of them. TBH I think most people would be hard pushed to tell the difference in "feel" between any of them.

Personally if i had to buy another set i'd get M540s as they dont require the splined tool to service the bearings and they look a little nicer.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Yet another vote for the astonishing value of 520s – they just work. The difference over the older 505s and 515s was a true pedalling revelation.

Get 540s if you want 'the look' of a bling pedal axle (top priority for some people…) but certainly no need to go higher than that.

clubber
    Free Member

It's more about bearings and the teflon coating which makes getting in and out easier

Can't say I noticed any difference on my mate's bike that I borrowed which had year old XTR pedals on…

Jenga
    Free Member

Been running 520s for years. they get no maintenance apart from the occasional wash down. Work perfectly. Only thing wrong is that they don't say "XTR", but at £70 savings I can put up with that.

clubber
    Free Member

I'll paint 'XTR' on for you for £20 😉

moremudplease
    Free Member

the only people that notice the difference between cheap pedals and expesive ones are the people drooling at your bling pedals,if you can afford them why not? a little bit of bling never done anyone any harm

tomhughes46

+n for 520s.

I got mine (used) for free from a friend who destroys kit. I ran them for 18 months (XC + commuting). I was going to service them before giving them back, as he needed them more than me but they were still silky smooth. I replaced them with… £18 520s from CRC. I decided 540s weren't worth the $$$!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Are XTR pedals worth all the money?’ is closed to new replies.