Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Are there any 'must have' cable pulling tools? Or just go for the cheapest I can
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Find.

During the Lemming Trail Race yesterday I came across a young lad (no not like that’ I was riding FFS) he appeared to have some mechanical issues and it turns out his cable had slipped through as he changed gear due to a loose bolt. All he was carrying was a puncture repair kit, when I asked him if he had far to go he said “Eastbourne’. We were only about 60 miles away :-).

Anyway to the point, he had no tools and I thought I was well tooled up but found myself lacking pliers or more specifically one of those 4th hand type tools that pull cable through. Made me realise that my ride would have been over or very tough just due to the lack of toolage if that had been me so I am going to purchase one of those tools. Any better than the other?

robj20
    Free Member

I carry some tiny pliers, good enough for removing the security wire on my brake pads and pulling cable through.

trail_rat
    Free Member

unless your cables are trashed and full of gunge theres absolutely no need for a 3rd hand tool to pull a gear cable – only ever found them hand for initial pull to bed in all the cable ends and prevent the illusive “cable stretch*” of new cables or setting up canti brakes

* new cables do not stretch

johnj2000
    Free Member

I did thnk this was the case, seems you can buy a tool for every job these days when a less specific tool will do the job fine and be useful for other stuff.

takisawa2

new cables do not stretch

Oh yes they do’oo.

Northwind

New cables can stretch, and bed in, and the cable ends can move around, and all that good stuff. But there’s no need for a 3rd hand tool or pliars, just wind in the barrel adjuster, pull the cable as tight as you can by hand, tighten up, adjust.

(there are tricks you can use, frinstance you can nip the bolt up then pull the exposed bits of cable out like a bowstring, takes up any slack better than just pulling the end. Then release, pull slack through, tighten)

z1ppy

trail_rat – Member
    unless your cables are trashed and full of gunge theres absolutely no need for a 3rd hand tool to pull a gear cable

I’d agree with this, you can get cable near enough by hand, and then tweak them up using the shifter/mech barrel adjuster. Thats what it for after all.

takisawa2 – Member
    new cables do not stretch
    Oh yes they do’oo.

I agree taki that they do need adjusting after the inital build, but it’s been reported that this is as more due to ferrules bedding/sitting into the cable stops, than the cable stretching.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your mechs go out of adjustment but your wire rope doesnt stretch.

“The engineering of wire rope is fundamentally the same for bridges, elevators, or bicycle shifters. The loads applied to these cables, or wire ropes, is far too low to induce any permanent elongation”

just thought id throw that out there.

the term stretch is a throw back from when cables were made differently to today and the tension would pull the strands together making the cable longer – today youll pop the head off the cable before you get any measurable stretch in the steel wire rope.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Explain to me exactly what you want this tool to do? I have never even thought about using pliers for any cable on a bike other than for cutting or crimping.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m in the “no need for it” camp also.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Ah – Eastbourne.

Soft southern shandy drinker tools.

gee
    Free Member

That’s rubbish. If the cable didn’t stretch the mech would go out of adjustment in both directions. New cables only ever need tightening, not loosening. Ditto brake cables. Perhaps this is true for massive steel cables on bridges but not bike cables.

GB

glupton1976
    Free Member

Is it a case of cables stretching or is it a case of outers etc becoming compacted?

crikey
    Free Member

If you can’t pull the cable through, push the rear derailleur so the chain moves a gear or two up the block, then tighten the cable.

The derailleur will take out the slack, then a bit of jiggery-pokery with he adjuster will set it up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gee – tell me why your mech would move in both directions when it goes out of adjustment ?

the action that makes your mech go out of adjustment is the cable outers getting compressed and settling into the ferrules and cable stops. then as it gets older the inner cable wears grooves into the outer meaning it goes out of adjustment by the direct route to the mech being shorter through the groove than it was

FWIW theres more chance of the massive steel cables stretching over the ones on your bike – the resistance on your mechs is not enough of a load

you realise folk have tested this ? – the head does actually pop off before you get any measurable stretch in a modern stainless steel cable.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Aww I feel bad now. So there was a way to get the lads bike going again
    😥

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Are there any 'must have' cable pulling tools? Or just go for the cheapest I can’ is closed to new replies.