Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Are studded tyres worth it?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/schwalbe-ice-spiker-pro-29/

I run Pro’s on the 29er and Conti Nordic Spike 240s on the crosser. I’ve been running them for the last few years and really rate them. The Pro’s do have a tendency to she’d spikes but they are a lightweight tyre and I’ve used them on proper big days out such as on Ben Lomond in the ice and been fine. The Conti tyres are excellent. A little bit heavy but you are riding in the winter when others aren’t so not really an issue. They work very well even on sheet ice and lumpy boilerplate. They are a worthwhile investment if you get proper winter weather. 😀

butcher

They’re still scary. Kinda like walking across a glass bridge….that sways in the wind.

You know they should grip. But you’re always wondering if they will!

STATO
    Free Member

Had great fun with my 29er Spiker Pro’s this morning, they grip amazingly well but you do get a bit of drift due to the spikes being on the end of tall tread blocks. Does mean they are amazing for the boggy patches which have not fully fozen, practically unstoppable (apart from lack of leg-power on the SS).

montgomery
    Free Member

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought some last year for commuting and yes they were great. But the cycle path I normally ride on had frozen snow on it so wasn’t ridable. So fitted the spiked tyres and rode on the road. To fit the tyres i had to take my mudguards so salt spray all over the place, riding on the road was horrible, yes I could stay upright but riding over icy patches with cars beside you just isn’t fun. And then there’s the drivers that don’t clear their windows and drive with a credit card sized port hole on their windcreens.

For off road, yep worth it and great fun. For commuting on the road I won’t be doing it again. When it gets to a stage that you don’t enjoy it and spend the time worrying while you ride it’s time to find another way to travel. What I’ve been doing this week is driving the icy section over the moor and riding the urban bit, still 7.5 miles each way so at least I’m doing something.

Having said that if we had a really prolonged spell of snow and ice I would be tempted to at least use them at the weekend.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Are studded tyres worth it?’ is closed to new replies.