Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Are Roval Controle SL strong enough for me?
  • 20thebear
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a Trek Ex 9 that has Roval Controle SL E5 wheels and Bonty XDX 2.2 tyres on it. I'm 17 stone and would be doing trail centre red/black routes. No big drops. Are the wheels likely to be strong enough or am I just too big for them?

Cheers

bol

Depends how light you ride, but they go for good money second hand, so you could always swap them. I've got the traversees which I think are better for heavyish blokes and more agressive xc, but several friends have got controles and haven't broken them.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I weight the same as you Bear – I had the Traverses for around 18 months and they held up pretty well considering the abuse I put them through. I ended up swapping them out in the end because they were just too flexy.

That will be your biggest issue with wheels that are even lighter than the Traverses; they are going to wallow all over the place and heaven forbid you get a landing anything other than pin point perfect. They might not collapse on you, but you'll probably not feel particularly confident on them.

Bol's point is well made though – I sold mine honestly on eBay, highlighting the dings in the rear wheel, and still got £230 for them.

Northwind

I'd say probably fine, until you **** up. Strong enough for normal use basically but not a lot of headroom for bad landings, riding into trees and suchlike. But you could probably get a decent price for them used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Are Roval Controle SL strong enough for me?’ is closed to new replies.