Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Are our Scottish brethren easily offended?
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Just catching up on Wittertainment, listening to a review of the huntsman, yes miles behind.

Two of the characters were doing Scottish accents (Jessica Chastain Chris Hemsworth) the reviewer got very vexed about it. In the following weeks show lots of e Mail correspondence also raging about how bad the accents were.

I am Welsh and couldn’t give a stuff if people attempt an accent and get it wrong.

In the rugby thread some people have got hot under the collar and they were from North of the border.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Bawbags are easily offended, regardless of nationality. Not to say there isn’t things to be quite rightly offended by though, there is.

epicyclo

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a single Scottish accent. It varies all over the country – and can be unintelligible to fellow Scots. (Maybe not so much now as in my youth)

Don’t worry about the rugby types, very few of them are actually Scots, they’re blown away English despite their social climbing pretensions to being Scottish, all Yoons at heart. Real men play shinty here. 🙂

somafunk

Nope…couldn’t give a shit, what i do feel vexed about was the cracks across my knuckles with a ruler in the late 70’s/early80’s due to moving school from Argyllshire down to Kirkcudbright – apparently i wasn’t speaking proper english.

This was from an english person teaching in a scottish school.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Reported. 😉

Bad attempts at Scottish accents sound truly awful to Scottish people. It seems to be the most difficult type of accent for English folks to master.

I can only think of a handful of convincing efforts in films and TV.

Jonny Lee Miller in Trainspotting is one of the best attempts ever.

shermer75
    Free Member

Jonny Lee Miller in Trainspotting is one of the bests attempts ever.

I only recently found out he wasn’t Scottish! lol

shermer75
    Free Member

A bad accent can definitely mar an otherwise great film- for example Natascha McElhone in Ronin…

DezB
    Free Member

Waddaya mean Sean Connery’s not Spanish? (Or Irish?!)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Waddaya mean Sean Connery’s not Spanish? (Or Irish?!)

I think you’ll find he’s Egyptian. 😉

legend
    Free Member

Edinburgh accent though, so basically English

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The guy who plays chatty death in Horrible histories is fantastic at it, must be the best kids tv ever too btw…

Stoner
    Free Member

you cant beat a good dose of Welsh cum sub continent asian accent crossover though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Amendment: The Best attempt ever is by a Canadian.

[video]https://youtu.be/g5vnZec964c[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

@Stoner – I’m glad you finished that sentence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It seems to be the most difficult type of accent for English folks to master.

Take it from me (no, not like that), I reckon the Irish accent is harder. Not that that ever stops lots of people from trying. Think Tom Cruise in Far and Away. “Yer a corker Shannon O Docherty, y’aaaaare.” 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think you’ll find he’s Egyptian.

Rush in. Obvioushly.

mefty
    Free Member

Are our Scottish brethren easily offended?

Aye

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye

Who are you talkin tae ya ****?

Northwind

Bad accents are bad acting, and naturally they most bother the people that they’re most obvious to- so a bad scottish accent will nark scottish people more. Just logic innit.

perchypanther – Member

Like shermer, I always just assumed he was Scottish 😆

tomhoward

Or Brad Pitt in Snatch…

I was thoroughly convinced by Sean Connery’s Scottish accent in red October. Very good for a Russian chap.

DAMMIT FLASHHEART!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I always just assumed he was Scottish

Don’t want to shatter anyones illusions here but…….

Christopher Lambert – not Scottish
    Mel Gibson -also not Scottish

see also – Don Cheadle – not a real cockney, Dick Van Dyke – also not a real Cockney

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Can your nationality really effect your personality? Whether you are racist or easily offended? Or a tight erse?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

?

Are you verifying Range to Target?

Might I suggest…..One Ping Only?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tomhoward

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

tomhoward

prawny

Brummie accents are almost universally terrible, both acted and actual.

I don’t think the Scots are particularly sensitive, but I think team sports fans tend to be a whiney bunch of…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BoardinBob

A deliberate response from Brad apparently based on how badly his Irish accent got savaged in The Devil’s Own

Stoner
    Free Member

Port in the top half of the hour isnt it CFH?

tomhoward

Way to prove the critics wrong…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Port in the top half of the hour isnt it CFH?

Aahhhhhh! I see it now!

A backhand lob innit!

tomhoward

piemonster

. It seems to be the most difficult type of accent for English folks to master.

Mel Gibson

gordimhor

Easily offended…NAW WUR NO! RIGHT 😈

Was going to say the worst Scottish accent ever is Michael Caine’s in Kidnapped but actually he didn’t even try. Just played an 18th century highlander with a cockney accent

matt_outandabout

Billy Connolly’s accent in that Queen Victoria film was shocking.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Whilst I have met many lovely people from Scotland some of the most wound-up people who seemed to have a problem with everything also came from there.

I mean this one time when I was guiding in Spain all I did was ask for their English telephone numbers, the torrent of abuse I got and the lectures on Sir Alexander Graham Bell being a Scotsman were simply shocking 😳

After the umpteenth wine about the BBC always being on about England I had to correct them and point out the BBC were always on about London, not England – and that the Sky telebox in the house was set to the London/SE region 😆

sparksmcguff

I’m very easily offended. Want to make something of it! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Are our Scottish brethren easily offended?’ is closed to new replies.