Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Are Inbreds any good?
  • hotgospeller
    Free Member

Just wondering if the geared inbred was stil worth getting, seems a bargain. Any thougts?

alexpalacefan

A lot of people on here are going to tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread.

They're right, get it bought!

Alex

psychle
    Free Member

pulls up a chair…

cinnamon_girl

Fridge is open – what you all having?

roundwheels
    Free Member

Ask your dad or is that brother?

stumpy01

I hope so. I've got one that I bought a couple of weeks ago sat in the shed I'm hoping to build at the weekend.

Zoolander
    Free Member

They'll never tell you. It's a closely guarded secret 😉

FTR springy, lively, slightly heavy frame ( I love mine )

mboy
    Free Member

Total waste of time, don't bother, cheap mass produced crap made from gas pipes, certainly don't get the 29er version as that's even worse! 🙄

😉

takisawa2

No. Total poo. 😉

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm not your typical STW'er. I don't like wierd bikes, I like real bikes. I don't run funny handle bars or wheels. I don't agree with a lot people's opinions on here about how a bike should ride.

However, I'll agree that the inbred is excellent. It's very capable downhill, climbs alright given it's heavy weight and is a lot of fun. And cheap!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've had an 18" original white one a 20" single speed, a 20" red slidy drop out, a 20" 456 summer season and now have a 20" 456ti

The 456 Summer season was a bargain hooligan bike and I miss it but not the chain suck I associated with it. Red slidy drop out wasn't as springy as the original 18" white Inbred so we didn't get on.

456ti is brilliant but not really worth the extra pile of cash IMHO.

I'd be tempted to get a steel 456 or steel 456 summer season over an "normal" Inbred to be honest. it will take more.

tron
    Free Member

I've got an Inbred from 2005 or so. I like the way it rides, but I've not ridden loads of bikes to compare with. What I can tell you is that the spec is very good for the price – the tubing is butted for each size of frame, so the larger frames aren't carrying a load of extra weight around. There's also masses of tyre clearance, and my chainstay has a (factory placed) dent to avoid chainsuck issues. It's pretty light for a steel frame too – I've got a 531 road frame in the shed, and that weighs in at almost 6lbs with forks and headset, so 5.5lbs for a mountain frame seems pretty good to me.

If I were buying now, I'd be tempted by the 456 simply because your choice of forks is a bit limited if you're looking for 100mm of travel.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Um…. yes. Had a white Inbred, a green slot drop Inbred but have to say I love my blue 456. Anyway – at the kind of price they are, what have you got to lose…?! 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

I like both of mine

tazzymtb

certainly don't get the 29er version as that's even worse!

especially if it's in mincers purple/pinky 😉

tazzymtb

they are tops for the money. If they had a different label on them like "cotic" or "cove" people would be less snobbish as the ride is easily as good

hora
    Free Member

I had a 18" Inbred. I didnt like it.

I have a 16" 456 – love it.

I'm 6ft1 and found the Inbred too long on the top tube. Personal preference but it does feel very long.

yunki
    Free Member

I love my 456.

I_Ache
    Free Member

They best be good I have a 16" Pink 456 sitting in the car waiting to be built up. I think my brothers 18" is a bit too long and I am 6' but like my bikes on the smaller side.

duckman

They are like a cotic,only worse. 😈

rOcKeTdOg

i had one for a week, then gave it back

hora
    Free Member

hotgospeller, Brant would be a good person to ask for advice on the sizing etc.

mrvear
    Free Member

I am 6ft3 and ride a 20" white inbred, it is nice and long and fits me well. I reckon all these folk who claim theirs are too long are not as tall as they think 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

6'2" 18" 456. Fits like a glove. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

chainslapp
    Free Member

My youngest son has a 14" slot drop out inbred, my eldest son has a 16" 456 in Choc brown, I have an 18" 456 and an 18" Ti 29er.

Bloody hate the damn things. 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Sizing is the key. I've had 2 x 18" Inbreds, 1 x 20" Inbred, 1 x 16" 456 and now (finally, I think 💡 ) happy with my 18" 456 summer season. I tried all sorts of stem, fork, bar and seat position combinations on the others before arriving at the current set-up, which for whatever reason just feels right.

I'm 6'1" and a bit

tinsy
    Free Member

I popped for a Scandal, the same but lots lighter, £ for lb the biggest gain you will make on your build..

skidartist
    Free Member

I'm 6'1" and a bit

I'm 6'1" and a bit…..what? 6'1" and a bit indecisive?
    🙂

hora
    Free Member

I'm actually 6ft 1.5inches according to the proper measuring things.

nicko74

Are Inbreds any good?

The bikes, yes. The people… well, it depends where you go.

Woody
    Free Member

6' 1 3/8" – is that more decisive 🙄

Ohhhh! you mean about bikes? Whatever makes you think that? The above is only on Inbreds, the full list would take up too much bandwidth 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

I had an 18" Inbred for a fair while. I didn't like it all that much. It was however very cheap, and it had rack mounts, which mattered to me when I bought it.

My problems with it included:

– depressing colour
    – weight
    – susceptibility to chainsuck damage
    – closed hose and cable guides
    – lack of glamour or enthusiasm

It was fine for the money, just nothing to rave about. A Maxlight XC frame some years previously had been absolutely ace, vastly more fun. I'm not an expensive bike person particularly. 🙂

hugorune

I've got a 20" white inbred in the garage. It's been built and stripped 4 times – each time I build it up I convince myself I need a more bling frame and then swap all the parts across and then end up selling the new one. They are a sweet ride and for the money (I paid £50 for mine off the classifieds) you would be hard pressed to find anything that comes close. Yes it's heavier than an 853 framed cotic soul but its 1/3rd of the price. Build it, ride it and enjoy 🙂

BTW – in what way is white a depressing colour? My other HT is a battleship grey Dialled PA – now that is a depressing colour.

MrAgreeable

Brant would be a good person to ask for advice on the sizing etc

If he still worked for On-One. 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Brant would be a good person to ask for advice on the sizing etc

If he still worked for On-One

I dont reckon they erased his memory when he left

wwaswas

"I dont reckon they erased his memory when he left"

he might have done though.

why not just ask on-one?

hp_source

Had my 16" 456 for about 5 months now, it's great, a lot more capable on the downs than I was expecting, great for just hacking about out and not having to be too precious about it…

fun, fun, fun

hora
    Free Member

Just don't ask him about the noodly ti456 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Get a Scandal, far better than a hefty old steel Inbred (which is still good), unless you believe the steel is 'real' bobbins.

nickc

They're fine, it's a slightly over weight steel frame rescued by careful geometry choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Are Inbreds any good?’ is closed to new replies.