Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Are fat bikes now the mainstream, whilst single speeds are lurking in the niche?
  • padkinson
    Free Member

No shit Sherlock!

Missing the point entirely… fat bikes are harmless fun

That they may well be, so why do a race on one?

vincienup
    Free Member

I still see people whining that disc brakes on road bikes look horrendous. I love them on my cx.

Is this whole thing not simply the new wheel size angst?

If so, will it get a regular night of the week, too?

wwaswas

The guys were racing the big dog on a fat bike because their sponsor had a new fat frame out and was sponsoring the category.

Plus the big dog is a ‘fun’ race not an nps one.

tmb467
    Free Member

Turner Bikes had a fat bike at Kamikaze this weekend – it did rather well

Due out in March apparently

Dobbo

The guys were racing the big dog on a fat bike because their sponsor had a new fat frame out and was sponsoring the category.”

I feel their pain, we all have to do things we don’t like doing at work sometimes. 😆

Paceman
    Free Member

That they may well be, so why do a race on one?

And why not? What proportion of riders are actually in it to win it?

skinnyboy
    Free Member

rode my first fatty in anger today, absolutely hooked! A mate of mine has connections to a frame builder in Taiwan so ordered a few frames in with slightly different geo and frame materials. I was surprised at how nimble and fun the ride was. I’m definitely building one up when he finalises the frame specs.

tmb467
    Free Member

DW Link full suspension fatness

Turner Fattie

showerman
    Free Member

have a beargrease fattie running xx1. have all the gears i need for off and on road. i have a 26er 29er and a 180mm travel fun bike. the only bike i take out now is the fattie it does everything i need it too. the thing is i want you all to not like them and ride the same old same old. me i am now waiting for the foes full sus then the collection will be complete and when you get off and push as you tyres spin out my grin will only get bigger, saying that you may well walk quicker than this old worn out body of mine but i will still be in the saddle.

Paceman
    Free Member

LOL… great post Showerman 😆

wwaswas

Skinnyboy – great pictures 🙂

I think it looks like how I’ve wanted to feel riding a bike ever since I was about 6.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Mate it was the best fun in a long time on a bike. Smiles per miles ratio is off the chart!!

Can’t wait to build mine up!

D0NK

There’s more to riding bikes than racing, or even going fast all the time.

yes but most naysayers arguments appear to start with “they are heavy and slow” possibly without any experience to back up their claim. How much fun they are is of course in the eye grin of the beholder and entirely subjective 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden a fat bike in anger, but, for me the whole fat bike thing just stirs up the same feeling i had when i saw my first MTB, i mean – how can something like this:

just not be F U N !!!

Personally i think that Gary Fisher and the Repack crew can’t of smoked that much dope or we’d of had these fat bikes back in the 80’s.

😀

johnnystorm

As has been said a few times before…..

Fat bikes look like Mint Sauce’s bike and that appeals to those of us of a certain age….

hot_fiat

I have a suspicion that the Turner might run up to me and steal all my money.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

As has been said a few times before…..
    Fat bikes look like Mint Sauce’s bike and that appeals to those of us of a certain age….

They do!! No wonder!!

Interesting observation from our ride last weekend, on our usual bikes people just nod or ignore you, on the fattys everyone smiled or wanted to know more or just made a positive comment as we ruled past.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Whats the name of that green Turner??

qwerty
    Free Member
    rickmeister

Ed.

Ed Turner…

IGMC

40mpg

The green bike is a Fatback – Theashnav off of here has got a black one and very nice it is too. Don’t think you can buy them in the UK though…

From yesterday:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p3FVSd]P9216268[/url] by T*inbred, on Flickr

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, got it – enlarged the pic and got the name

http://fatbackbikes.com/product/aluminum-190-deluxe-bike/

Like the orange one too, BUT HOLY BeJeesuz – $999 FRAME ONLY!!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is that rider a giant, or is he riding a bike too small for him?? 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I want a fat bike because The Croatian Bear is such a badass.

🙂

tomhoward

Interesting observation from our ride last weekend my 10 min pootle home from the shop I’d just bought it from, on our my usual bike people just nod or ignore you, on the fatty everyone smiled or wanted to know more or just made a positive comment as we ruled past.

this /\/\/\/\

ciderinsport
    Free Member

OK, got it – enlarged the pic and got the name

http://fatbackbikes.com/product/aluminum-190-deluxe-bike/

Like the orange one too, BUT HOLY BeJeesuz – $999 FRAME ONLY!!!

And don’t forget to add in the shipping and taxes for getting it to the UK!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Other thing – do fatty’s need to be made from steel?

I can see it on a smaller tyred frame but with massive rubber and the need for weight saving surely alu makes more sense, with perhaps a carbon (or even suspension) fork?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I can see it on a smaller tyred frame but with massive rubber and the need for weight saving surely alu makes more sense, with perhaps a carbon (or even suspension) fork?

Ally is fine, I was a steel is real person before getting the fatty. Carbon fork is a nice addition, not tried suspension, and doubt I will! Not needed on most of my riding.

Moses

The On-One Fatty’s made of ally.
    People seem to likr it

tomhoward

Ally with 80mm Bluto here.

First ride T – 40 hours.

Tickle me excited 😀

The On-One Fatty’s made of ally.
    People seem to likr it

So is the Specialized Fatboy

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

O-O fatty is the same weight as most CrMo fatties, most alu fatties are arround 2000-2100g, O-O is 2500g as are pugsleys etc.

I like steel bikes as I rub my heels on the chainstays, so I wouldn’t want them wearing out, which puts me off soft alu (yes I’ve worn them away before!), especialy with the hub being 2″ wider!

alexdudley
    Free Member

officerfriendly
    Free Member

OMG Skinnyboy, I was looking at building a fatbike frame up, do you think you could hook me up? I mean I would pay you and everything. That is so awesome. I gotta get me some connections like that!

bonesetter
    Free Member

Fat Boy acquisition today

rOcKeTdOg

Alloy or carbon fork?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Carbon

I liked the idea of a light alu frame too

flashes
    Free Member

Nice wheels…

benji
    Free Member

Did you have to post that bonesetter, i’m so close to buying one, but manage to suppress the urges but now it’s just got ever closer.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here’s another which shows the colour a little better – it might give you saturation and reduce your need 🙂

tomhoward

I prefer the green one 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Are fat bikes now the mainstream, whilst single speeds are lurking in the niche?’ is closed to new replies.