Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Are disc brake adapters interchangeable between brands?
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Looking to replace Tektro cable disc brakes (Novela) with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. Will Shimano brakes just bolt on to the existing disc brake adapters, or do I need to buy the specific Shimano adapters? It’s 160mm front and rear, and old and new calipers are post mount. I don’t have access to the bike at the moment so can’t do any measuring up etc.

I’m assuming it’s okay but don’t want to end up in a bit of a temper after I’ve made time to do the job, got the bike in the stand, the tools ready, to find despite appearances it doesn’t ****** well fit…

Junkyard
    Free Member

generally its OK but sometimes they foul

Only ever had this with Hope combinations and Avids – fouling on the caliper catching the rivets of floating rotors

No idea with that combination

superleggero
    Free Member

Thanks Junkyard. I’ll be replacing old discs with Shimano 6 bolt ones so hopefully that side of things will be okay.

bigyinn
    Free Member

In theory yes they will be interchangeable, but if the Tektros use alignment washers you may need to carry them over to the Shimanos, otherwise the new calipers may foul the rotors.
    If the calipers just bolt on then you should be fine.
    Probably.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

Same as some disks are nominally 180, 183 or 185mm, the adapters are sometimes a little taller or shorter than they should be, because in theory all ~180mm (or 160mm, or ~200mm) brakes should use the same mounts/adapters.

I’ve got some nominally 180mm aftermarket rotors in the spares box that foul shimano calipers for example.

Change the calipers first, that way you don’t waste too much time!

Andy-R

I’ve got some nominally 180mm aftermarket rotors in the spares box that foul shimano calipers for example.

I just put a couple of washers under the caliper in that situation.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Same as some disks are nominally 180, 183 or 185mm, the adapters are sometimes a little taller or shorter than they should be, because in theory all ~180mm (or 160mm, or ~200mm) brakes should use the same mounts/adapters.

I’m trying to disentangle that.

I’ve got some 180mm Magura brakes on aftermarket adapters where the outer edge of the pad is just outside the disc (ie the caliper is too far out). I have to take a file to the pads eventually otherwise the ridge that builds up stops the pads hitting the disc.

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve got some 180mm Magura brakes on aftermarket adapters where the outer edge of the pad is just outside the disc (ie the caliper is too far out). I have to take a file to the pads eventually otherwise the ridge that builds up stops the pads hitting the disc.

Is that actually the adaptor or the frame, I have the same but its the mount on the frame (steel) is a little out, ie. I tried several adaptors and they are all the same. [waits for him to say his Nicolai is perfect ;0)]

superleggero
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks. In the end the Shimano calipers fitted to the Tektro adapters without any issues.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Are disc brake adapters interchangeable between brands?’ is closed to new replies.