• This topic has 63 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Are Cotic the new crack'n'fail?
  • hora
    Free Member

Are cotic suggesting that you spent £175 on upgrading a part which is known to be faulty?

No one would expect you to do that?

ddmonkey if I was changing my Five I'd probably go with another long-slung and relatively light frame. I'd even look at Spesh stumpjumpers as well.

backhander
    Free Member

so how do you know if you have a frame which will fail? Was it a certain batch only? Did they get warranty replacements?
    Me no understando.

geoffj

What is your point caller?

simonb
    Free Member

ddmonkey – I find it handles better and the suspension feels more neutral under braking.

Having said that I loved my Five too, just faniced a change to something different.

backhander
    Free Member

who are you talking to sunshine?
    Me? My point is if I buy a frame which is even suspected to fail due to manufacturing error, I expect it to be replaced under warranty before it does fail and possibly cause me injury. I do not expect to be billed £175 for the pleasure. This may not be the case which is what I'm trying to understand.

hora
    Free Member

backhander hey Im with you. I'm guessing if you can prove its the same failure point you get a new replacement.

backhander
    Free Member

Not aimed at you Hora.

ahwiles
    Free Member

disclaimer;

it's likely i simply bought a duffer, and am now whining like a bitch about a product that i enjoy using, and was fortunate enough to recieve a free upgrade.

ddmonkey

Hmm… maybe I should just keep my five until it breaks… 🙄

nicko74

All bike companies have component failures. Its the nature of riding- until CERN of course.

I thought they were just looking for Higgs bosons, but now I actually see some value to this giant doughnut miles underground! Woo!

My Cotic Soda has never broken, and I still love it as much as the day it arrived. Derive from that what you will…

thepodge
    Free Member

Why not speak direct to Cotic and see what they say.

or let me buy your hemlock frame off you

cy

I've stayed off this thread all day, but there's clearly a bit of confusion over the 2010 chainstays. Firstly, we're not charging people for chainstays if they have a genuine warranty problem, they get a free replacement. What we are doing is offering the new stays to any Hemlock owners 08 or 09 vintage should they wish to put the new, much stiffer, chainstays on their bike. There's not a huge difference to the 09 stays in terms of stiffness, but it is there. Compared to the 08 chainstays, there's a massive increase in stiffness which in my opinion improves the ride and handling, so those people can upgrade. It not a required purchase, it's just an option.

As for the change in design, it's completely different in the area affected by the assembly issues last year. There's no slot on the drive side, the slot it out of the load path and doesn't require the washer on the non-drive side therefore making it 'idiot proof', the machined relieving has been deleted and the webs from the chainstay tubes run up into the pivot area now increasing stiffness and strength. Compared to the 08 swingarm, which has never had a failure and is 95% the same as the 09 version, the 2010 swingarm is hugely improved here. I didn't take any chances.

VanHalen

why are you riding a frame you cant go full beans on?

i ws told by cotic my riding style isnt suitable for a hemlock. i ws honest about mmy riding but i`m no freeride god and live by the south coast! which is a shame as i recon they look like great bikes.

IdleJon

BigJohn – Member
    I've had 2 Cannondales that cracked around the chainstay bridge (both warrantied) and I've got a Mk1 Soul that I found a couple of cracks in.

Whereas I've had 4 'dales (2 MTBs, 2 road) and my brother's also had 2 'dale MTBs. No problems at all with the frames breaking.

Unlike a mid-90s Marin which I bent, or a Zaskar which cracked around the seatpost area – seemed to be a fairly common failure.

lovell
    Free Member

I broke my Brothers Falcon Sierra Nevada back in 1989 doing my paper round and I can tell you i definitely won't be buying another.

BigJohn

That's probably because you're idle and I'm big. 🙂

matt_bl
    Free Member

I've got a Cotic Soul, no bends, breaks or cracks, despite being bounced of rocks from Surrey to Scotland. I'm not one of these 16 stone lightweights either. 🙂

Fantastic bike!

Matt

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Every time a thread like this pops up, I feel compelled to chime in with:

I love my SImple! It is the best riding bike I've ever had, it's great.

Thankyou Cy!

IdleJon

BigJohn – Member
    That's probably because you're idle and I'm big.

And I thought you were just boasting?

😳

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Love my Soda here, big thanks to Cotic for making such a frame!

deus

pah, i've broken bikes just by looking at them.

tomlevell

Van Halen – Member

why are you riding a frame you cant go full beans on?

i ws told by cotic my riding style isnt suitable for a hemlock. i ws honest about mmy riding but i`m no freeride god and live by the south coast! which is a shame as i recon they look like great bikes.

What the hell did you say.

"oh I do the odd 10 foot ladder drop to flat?"

rOcKeTdOg

obviously The Bike Chain doesn't sell cotic or commencal, maybe just competing brands?

hh45
    Free Member

The bike shop / hire centre at Glyncorreg at Afan said all their full suss Konas for hire were broken. Could have been bearings needing routine maintenance I guess.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Are Cotic the new crack'n'fail?’ is closed to new replies.