Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Are all BB the same shell width? Hope vs XT
  • DT78
    Free Member

So replaced my seized XT BB with a nice shiny hope one. Replaced the cranks and now the front derailer only just moves the chain to the 44t, and the rear derailler doesn’t want to select the smallest cog on the cassette (skips).

First thought was I hadn’t fitted the chainset properly – couple of whacks with the rubber mallet still have the problem. Leaves me thinking the chainset might be a few mm further over than when I was using XT – same number of spacers. Is the shell on a hope slightly bigger than XT? Anyone had similar issues?

Maybe I just need to use a smaller spacer on the BB? I take it the hope spacers are the same as shimano ones too?

DT78
    Free Member

Anyone?

RustyMac

What bike?

How many spacers was there to begin with? You don’t neciserilly have to use them all.

DT78
    Free Member

2009 anthem, 99% certain it had 3 spacers (2 drive, 1 non)

coatesy
    Free Member

Measure your BB shell to be sure, you need 3 spacers for a 68mm shell, 1 for a 73mm shell(assuming no BB mounted chain guide which takes the place of 1 driveside spacer).Hope and Shimano BBs are near identical widths, if you have the correct spacing now, it may have been wrong before?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Are all BB the same shell width? Hope vs XT’ is closed to new replies.