Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Are 26" tyres really dead?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

edward2000 – Member
    Mike I was referring to new bikes, sorry for not making it clear. Off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone who makes a 26 inch bike at the moment

Again, if somebody gave you a 650b bike marked up as 26″ without any reference I reckon you might change your mind, they may not be better but they also work about the same as a 26″ bike. Don’t just write off a bike because of it’s wheels as with 26″ there is a huge variety of bikes out there some will suit you.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Every bike shop I’ve gone into for parts bar two, attempt to sell me a complete new bike (I don’t go back or buy anything). They have a vested interest, the biggest margin is on complete bike sales not parts! I’ve noticed a fair few that used to stock loads of parts don’t bother anymore. The most honest LBS I know, the owner says he can order parts in, but recommends buying from CRC because they are cheaper than his trade supplier, he’s not bothered about the small change in it for him.

Plumbers pull a similar stunt with boilers! I’ve lost count of people I know who have been blagged into a new boiler with the “can’t get the parts anymore” standard line, when the parts are available from both trade and online retailers! but we will do you a nice two grand boiler replacement. I’m sure Northwind and everyone in his book circle have had a completely different experience of course! bought the boiler and the bike, so like #amaze at how much better they are than the old ones 🙄

I doubt every single parts supplier (except affiliates who will do their corporate masters bidding) will stop selling tyres, wheels and forks when theres a huge worldwide market for them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LOL my mate tries to sell me a bike whenever I go into the shop, it’s just a joke normally 🙂 Seems to be a standing joke in most shops I know – knackered chain best replace the bike, current one is to take the piss out of retro bike (26″) never sure if some people are just missing the joke.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you go into a shop and say “I want a 26″ tyre in about 2.3″ flavour”, you’re golden.

If you go in and say “I want a 26″ x 2.35″ Schwalbe Hans Dampf in Pacestar” you’ll usually be disappointed and end up shopping online anyway.

🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shops aren’t stocking much of anything these days which you can buy on the internet, have noticed that in my LBS. They seem to order in most things as required themselves too, “just in time” and all that.

I can’t see 26 tyres being phased out anytime soon, I wonder what percentage of MTBs are 26 wheels – 80%-90% ? I have no intention of switching and my bikes have many years of use ahead of them. I have a garage full of fairly new tyres anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Are 26" tyres really dead?’ is closed to new replies.