Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Aquatic Centre my a**e.
  • athgray
    Free Member

Not anti olympic but since when did swimming pools become ‘Aquatic Centres’? If I go to an aquatic centre I would expect to see some reef sharks or a couple of dolphins.

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess it must have one of these too.

Oylimpic water sliding, how cool.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not a thread about diarrhea then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If I go to an aquatic centre I would expect to see some reef sharks or a couple of dolphins.

And if I go to a swimming pool I expect to see a pool of water, with things swimming in it, not an olympic size aquatics centre.

cbike
    Free Member

After hearing the numerous “Code Brown” calls on a shared radio system I have gone off swimming pools.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Why didn’t they call it a Water Sports Centre? 😆

joao3v16
    Free Member

“Aquatics Centre” 🙄

Who in their right mind has ever said “I’m just off down the aquatics centre for a swim”.

Pretentious fools.

Just call it what it is – a swimming baths.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just call it what it is – a swimming baths.

I’ve never been in a bath big enough to have a swim in.

Plus a diving pool can’t be a “swimming” anything – pool or bath.

Add to that the fact that the yanks will invariably misspell it thereby proving yet again their inferior command of the English language, and that it will give those who like to dabble in the art of incessant moaning about obscure non-issues something to get their teeth into, and it easily becomes one of the most important and far reaching decisions that’s been made concerning the London 2012 Olympic Games. It has my unequivocal support.

cheburashka
    Free Member

If this is about the Manchester Aquatics Centre on Oxford Rd, that’s been so named since it was built for the 2002 Commonwealth games. ‘Snot a lympic ting.

wwaswas

The Olypmic swimming’s a pretty low budget affair then?

peterfile
    Free Member

I did the legals for the “Aquatics Centre”, and I don’t remember the name of the building ever aggravating anyone as much as the OP.

However, given that you managed to squeeze in an offensive word in 4 word thread title about the name of a building, I’d guess you probably get irate about many trivial things.

It’s not that pretentious at all, in fact if you have a quick google of “aquatics centre” you’ll see that not only is the term used in this context for water sports centres (doesn’t have the same ring to it eh?) across the world (including most major cities in the UK), but it has also been used specifically in Summer, Commonwealth and Olympic games across the world since 2000.

If I go to an aquatic centre I would expect to see some reef sharks or a couple of dolphins.

No, that would be an aquarium

spchantler
    Free Member

you’ll see that not only is the term used in this context for water sports centres (doesn’t have the same ring to it eh?)

i’d go to a watersports centre…..

SamCooke
    Free Member

And ducks, i want to see ducks too

peterfile
    Free Member

i’d go to a watersports centre…..

Pedant fail.

water sports (have a quick look for “watersports”)

aquatics

llama

when you build something with two 50m pools, a diving pit, and seating for 17,000, then you can’t really call it the swimming baths can you

molgrips
    Free Member

Centre for aquatic sports. Not that much of a stretch, is it?

You moaners are really trying hard to find as much as possible to whinge about this Olympics, aren’t you? I hope you are enjoying yourselves 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

whatever it’s called doesn’t detract from how much i’m looking forward to going there for some olympics on sunday evening. 😀

KennySenior
    Free Member

I’m with the OP on this one.

Centre for Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming and Modern Pentathlon

is a lot simpler.

‘Aquatics’ indeed. Some smart arse probably thought it was a simple catch all word that covers a variety of competitive water based disciplines. Tossers.

wwaswas

It’s probably not called a Swimming Baths ‘cos otherwise they’d have to put this notice up all over the place – it’s the law;

peterfile
    Free Member

ha ha, only “heavy petting” was prohibited at my local pool wwaswas 🙂

we were clearly much more liberal

jfletch
    Free Member

Calling it the “water sports” centre may have created certain issues on Google if people ventured too far down the search results!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Aquatic Centre my a**e.’ is closed to new replies.