Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 532 total)
  • Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?
  • GrahamS

(from my iPhone 4s on iOS 7)

AdamW
    Free Member

Bing turned off for Spotlight. First thing I needed to do.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Graham – thats why the Apple Tips app will be good and the big text so I can actually see stuff ! A while ago my iPad keyboard split in two and I discovered that feature had been around for years 😳

Rio

if you plug it in to a computer you don’t need any space to do the update

Mine said it needed 500M on my 5s, so I had to get rid of some of the mysterious “other” that was eating my storage. Having done that the update still failed with an “unknown” error leaving it needing a full restore. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through to get novelty emoticons.

GrahamS

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through to get novelty emoticons.

Pay attention at the back – the “novelty emoticons” are one of the few things that aren’t new. Plenty of other stuff is though:

https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/whats-new/

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, liKe the double cliCk “home” key whiCh brings up “recents” 😀

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the shop stock situation will be like? Thinking about popping into my local Apple Store to have a look at the 6 plus and buy one.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

had a text earlier from o2 confirming my order was ready for dispatch, I asked and they said its a courier not royal snail. happy… I may actually get it before the weekend.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the shop stock situation will be like? Thinking about popping into my local Apple Store to have a look at the 6 plus and buy one.

They will have demo models to look at / play with and a mahoosive queue of people trying to get their hands on one for a play. Wait time for an pre-order is currently 3-4 weeks I think.

brassneck

You’d think they’d use a peer to peer bit torrent style protocol for distributing massive updates to millions of people.

Probably using akamai or A N Other content distribution network. Might be difficult to blacklist or withdraw stuff from a bittorrent swarm.

That said, Blizzard use it for WoW / Diablo etc… but I guess they are a lot easier to rush another mini patch too than a whole OS.

Drac

Cheers Peteimprezza seems I’m legible for a new battery.

Drac

Upgraded my iphone 5 and seems to run Ok certainly not slow. All photos and emails still there although the new album will take some getting use to. The new predictive text is good though I do like that.

Haze

Was kind of hoping for lower case letters on the keyboard when typing in lower case…push for Gmail would have been nice too.

Drac

Gmail is a separate app though so up to them to sort that out.

stevemorg2

anyone tried IOS8 on a 4S?

peteimpreza

@Drac, you are very welcome

@stevemorg , yes, no problems at all

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

installed ios8 on my 4S this morning, seems ok in terms of performance. Allegedly it is supposed to be slower but doesn’t seem too bad. It is the 64GB version so maybe that helps. It’ll be for sale once my new 6 arrives, allegedly by courier today… not holding my breath.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe a little bit excited…

jambalaya
    Free Member

anyone tried IOS8 on a 4S?

Yes and we already posted about it 😉 Runs fine on my 16GB phone. I like it very much especially predictive text, larger fonts and more apps carry the font size over, double click last contacts. Make sure you do a backup to your computer and I would suggest downloading the update via iTunes, The gf had a problem with her 5 and had to restore phone from backup but the update worked second time around.

bikebouy
    Free Member

And on a sliGht tangent..

Anyone used/triEd iMovies yet? i had a peek last niGht but iT looks kinda complex 😐
    i Haven’t uploaded iT to my MAC yet cos iT looks liKe i’Tll stiLl be loadiNg thiS tiMe next year 😛

GrahamS

Not used iMovie but I do use Pinnacle Studio on the iPad which is pretty good.

Jamie
    Free Member

iPhone 6 just got delivered.

….unfortunately, it’s for my brother. UPS guy said he had about 25 to deliver today.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Jamie well if it where my kids they’d be trying out their siblings stuff pronto.

footflaps

My delivery date just came forward, tomorrow am apparently….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Had a play with a 6 Plus today.

The size looks ludicrous at first, but the more you use it the better it feels.

Disappointments for me coming from an Android phone thinking things would be intuitive:
    – The card system to check running applications.
    – No automatic rotation when trying to use the phone horizontally to type/browse.

Other disappointments
    – The much hyped manual camera mode. You now have exposure control which then fiddles with shutter speed for you. Not really full manual mode like some articles light on substance would have you believe.

Will probably wind up getting one just for a change, and partly to check if Omnifocus integration will change my life like I want to though.

somouk
    Free Member

– No automatic rotation when trying to use the phone horizontally to type/browse.

It should rotate, it could have been locked though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Very surprised at that. You sure rotation lock wasn’t activated, as even my crappy 4 does the above.

cozz
    Free Member

same here, my delivery has come forward to tomorrow 🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Probably was locked. I checked the settings to see if there was something going on there, but it wasn’t “intuitive”!

Drac

checked the settings to see if there was something going on there, but it wasn’t “intuitive”!

Slide from the bottom and untick the little padlock. Done.

GrahamS

The card system to check running applications.

Interested why that of all things was a disappointment?

jfletch
    Free Member

Had the 6 for a day now. It’s lovely to use and the big screen is very nice. Not sure if the size is going to be annoying as an every day phone though. I’ve not seen a plus but that will be way too big IMO.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just had a quick play on my brother’s iPhone.

My 4 is a bit slow in comparison.

kelvin

Interested why that of all things was a disappointment?

Well, it annoys me. I want to see more than a handful of my running apps.

GrahamS

I guess it depends on your expectation.
    As I said earlier its not a Task Manager. It doesn’t show running apps, just the most recent ones.

If you’re expecting a process list with details of CPU, memory use, swap state, resource allocation, child processes etc then yeah it’s not that, but that’s a deliberate design decision. Phone users shouldn’t need a computer science degree. 😀

kelvin

Being able to see running apps at a glance, rather than just the app I’m using, and the two I can remember using just now, would be more useful. Swipe, swipe, swipe…

kelvin

Ironically, one of the few things that Apple have copied off of ‘droid… looks good but not useful.

cozz
    Free Member

mine is here, 64gb, got all my music on 8000 tracks, plus room left over

had a 4s before, screen on the 6 is much better, looks quite a bit larger cos its kinda gone up 2 sizes from my 4s

think i will get used to it, typing texts when used landscape mode make the buttons nice and big so thats good

now just got to wait on a case ive ordered, ad not damage it till it turns up

CountZero

Had a quick play with a 6+ today, and I was very impressed; it didn’t feel too huge, but I have fairly large hands and the slimness of it helped. I like the double-tap feature that drops the home screen down to allow the user to access the top of the screen one-handed, although I hardly ever use my phone one-handed anyway, but the portrait/landscape rotation is really nice, and that will come in useful.
    I was watching some demos of time-lapse videos, and they look absolutely stunning on the larger screen, with really rich colours.
    Looks nice in gold, but mine, when I finally get it, will be in an Otterbox Defender anyway, so the colour is irrelevant.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘Apple WWDC 2014 – iPhone 6/ iWatch? / iWotM8?’ is closed to new replies.