Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyonre else had issues with Shimano AM-41s
  • d00m
    Free Member

I bought some of the aforementioned shoes just before Christmas. I reckon I’ve done less than 500 miles in them but my pedals have decimated the sole so much so that the shoes now need replacing. Has anyone had a similar experience with these shoes as I’m mightily p’d off with them.

pedalon
    Free Member

I’ve been using a pair for a similar amount of miles and the soles are fine, just getting a bit of cracking on the lace protector flap. I don’t have the spikiest pins on my pedals though.

d00m
    Free Member

What pedals are you using pedalon? I didn’t think my nukeproofs were exceptionally spiky but maybe I’m wrong.

BoardinBob

My AM40s fell apart in less than a year which was very dissapointing given the price.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My old AM41s did exactly the same as yours, OP.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I have Nukeproof pedals and AM-41’s and have had a similar problem, the sole of the shoes now has a couple of bare patches where the rubber has been torn off. They are great shoes though, and despite he fact that the sole has worn badly, they still grip well and I would still buy another pair when these have had it.

The Nukeproofs have relatively few pins compared to some makes, so not sure they’re responsible.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

My AM-41s are now wearing out in one sole… but this is after 3,500 miles of riding using MG1s/Nanos, and some ill-advised spade-work on a couple of dig days when I forgot to take a change of shoes. It’s the digging shoe that’s going, so my own fault really. I’ll be getting another pair when they finally give up.

bigjim

the soles are lasting better than the uppers for me, which are coming away from the soles and cracking. still the best flat shoe for me though.

I really need to sell a pair of too-big AM40s I have sitting in the cupboard.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Not tried the AM41’s but my Nukeproof pedals ate the soles on my Five Tens so I’ve been using Adidas Samba trainers which are holding up quite well considering they were only supposed to be a stop gap until I picked up some new ones.

pedalon
    Free Member

d00m, I’m using a set of Wellgo B124:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52880

The pins are a bit less spikey due to the nut part than the V8s they replaced. Disappointingly so really and the reason that led me to the AM41s vs a skate style shoe in the first place.

d00m
    Free Member

I’ve emailed Madison about them on the advice of the shop that I purchased the shoes from. Don’t think I’ll get anywhere but you don’t get if you don’t ask do you?

The sad thing is that I do love the shoes. Grip is good, they’re pretty weatherproof and the upper is still in great condition.

d00m
    Free Member

As a footnote, Madison actually replaced my shimano shoes after inspecting them. It seems that they agreed with me that 6-7 months to destroy the sole was unacceptable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyonre else had issues with Shimano AM-41s’ is closed to new replies.