Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone's kids wear glasses?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just found out my 6yr old daughter needs glasses. No big deal plus the wife has worn glasses all her life. I’m just curious as to whether she is likely to be teased by the other kids at school?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yes, my two eldest. And I cried when I found out with the first one, how sad is that?

Will they be teased? Yup. If they are teasable. Just like they can be teased about pretty much anything if they are teasable.

Generally, only people with low self-confidence/low self-esteem fall victim to teasing, the rest just shrug it off. So make sure your kid has plenty of positive vibes in reserve and they’ll be fine. Plus, NHS glasses are so much more attractive than they used to be.

martinhutch

Mine does, and no, she isn’t teased. If anything, she got comments on how pretty her glasses were.

There will always be some little scrote who tries to get a rise out of your kid, but as Tucker says, training her to ignore it or shrug it off will help.

jamj1974

All three of mine do (Aged 7, 5 & 5.). Maybe they are all a bit geeky but they think wearing glasses is cool and none has reported teasing, both things I am glad about!

Markie
    Free Member

Our neighbour’s daughter is 6 and for the last month or so has been talking about getting glasses. She doesn’t need them, she just likes the ones a girl in her class wears and wants some of her own.

wwaswas

My daughter’s had nothing but complements from her schoolmates although she was initially quite worried.

For her, being able to see the whiteboard from more than 3ft away is worth wearing them for.

One thing, be prepared for her prescription to change quite quickly over the next few years – we’ve had to get new glasses/lenses 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years as her head/eyes grow her vision changes.

sadexpunk

yeah my lad does and got teased a bit at primary school 10 or more years ago but never gets teased now and hasnt for years.

might just be my imagination but it just doesnt seem to be a big deal these days and i never hear of other kids being teased about it either. glasses can be pretty cool nowadays. gone are the days of ‘speccy 4 eyes’ type teasing i think 🙂

wwaswas

Do try and avoid any Elastoplast based frame repairs, though.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Have a spare pair, or several. I was a kid wearing goldfish bowl glasses…

Garry_Lager

My lad does and has done from a very early age (like 1 IIRC). He’s just started school and it doesn’t seem like a big deal – quite a few other kids also wearing glasses. As said, the frame designs are a lot different these days – he currently wears a Ben10 pair.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My son (6) had them as he was suffering a bit of diziness etc etc, reckons he doesn’t need them anymore ” because the only thing they do is make things look bigger” 😆

ssbnreso
    Free Member

My 5 year old wears them never been teased, if anything the other kids in his class want to wear them.
    We thought we might have trouble getting him to wear them but they obviously made such an improvment to his sight that they are the first thing he grabs when he gats out of bed!

midlifecrashes

Two out of three here, no teasing and lots of compliments. As said above, loads of choice free on NHS voucher these days.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

marcus7
    Free Member

My 6 year old does and we’ve been told will probably need to wear them for the rest of her life but the glasses available now are really good and pretty cool (for a six year old apparently). she has no issue with wearing them and as far as we know has not been teased so i wouldn’t worry too much. I wear glasses and to be honest being called “speccy” or whatever never bothered me and most kids thought it was a bit naff to do so.

rocketman
    Free Member

rocket jr has worn them for reading since he was about 10. Was a brave lad the first time he wore them in class but he’s never been teased about it.

Have bought him some ‘cool’ frames as he’s got older. Without wishing to boast he looks quite handsome with his glasses on.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was teased for being me all my school career (no, really). Except when I started wearing glasses, no-one said anything.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Youngest has since being 8, just weaning onto contacts at 13.
    Is a self styled geek and proud of it so wears them as a badge of honour.
    Fortunately, he is bright as a button with a very sharp with and tongue, so bullies get cut down to size pretty quickly.
    Also helps that he has developed the physique to back it up too!
    As has been said ^^^ it’s all about confidence.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Both of my daughters don’t yet (both me and OH are speccy four eyes) but they seem quite sanguine at the prospect. I asked my eldest if her best friend, a specs wearer, gets teased and the answer was no. I think the danger period is years 7-11. Even weirder, compared to my school days, tooth braces, especially the full on metal mickey types, are considered fashionable.

freeagent
    Free Member

My 5-year old daughter asked the optician to botch her eye test and prescribe her glasses (that she didn’t need) a few months back!
    One of her mates at School has just got a pair of ‘Hello Kitty’ glasses and my daugher is pretty envious.
    She’s desparate to wear glasses, and wears sunglesses at every oportunity.

wwaswas

Even weirder, compared to my school days, tooth braces, especially the full on metal mickey types, are considered fashionable.

I think they’ve all looked at their wonky toothed parents and thought ‘Actually a couple of years of being a copper-gob is worth it so who am I to criticise’.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone's kids wear glasses?’ is closed to new replies.