Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone use suspension fluid as chain lube?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Any good?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Way better than chain lube. Everyone using it but don't tell anyone

mtb_rob
    Free Member

mmm…most interesting
    *note to self-try this out next time buying KY lube*

Earl
    Free Member

I have almost a full bottle of it sitting around with no real for it and it taste like s*it.

Earl
    Free Member

Morning 'anyone else?' bump

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are you for real?

fivespot
    Free Member

Anyone tried water instead of petrol 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Chain lube is more like gear oil (high sulphur content and works under high pressures), but with more addititves in it to break down mud, and less anti foaming additives.

Suspension fluid is designed to have the a consistent viscocity over a range of low ish temperatures (and presumably is as newtonian* as possible in other respects as well) with very low friction characterisitcs, and anti foaming.

*newtionian describes an idealised fluid which is incompressible, neither shear thickening or thinning, constant viscocity and none of its properties vary with time, i.e. it doesn't exist, but 99% of stuff can be assumed to be newtonian.

bigant

I can't see how it would do any harm however you might want to take other things into account. I've used light machine oil (ie sewing machine oil) in the past which works fine but does turn into a black shitty mess.

Other options may be:

While you're at it you could oil all the hinges in yr house and maybe use some to reduce nipple chafing.

It's probably a bit flammable and poisonous for cooking.

Put it in an ornamental glass bottle with some lemon slices and whole chilli's in it on the mantlepiece as a talking point.

Sell it to a body builder to smear them selves up with.

sorry 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use suspension fluid as chain lube?’ is closed to new replies.