Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone use Harvey Superwalker maps?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just came across these, having never heard of them. Anyone use them for wild epics? How do they rate compared to OS Explorers?

ontor
    Free Member

Use them all the time – they’re excellent, highly recommended.

Best part of it is the material on which it’s printed, why OS don’t print on plastic instead of crappy laminating I’ll never understand.

cliffyc
    Free Member

We sell Ordnance Survey and Harvey’s maps in the outdoor store I work in. OS have just brought in new version of Outdoor Leisure map,we have OL4 to OL covering the Lake District,new version is a paper/plastic laminate (plastic inside two paper layers),and won’t fall apart at the seems like the older maps did after they got wet!. Harvey’s new Superwalker XT25 maps are brand new too,they are now printed on polythene as the old version was proofed paper and bulkier. They are also now 1:25,000 scale the same as OL maps,(old Superwalker was 1:40,000 scale). I much prefer these, never liked the older map. They are great for the bike as they can roll/fold easily and have the info on you need including car parks,cafes and pubs. Recommended!.?

lemonysam
    Free Member

They are also now 1:25,000 scale the same as OL maps,(old Superwalker was 1:40,000 scale

Pretty sure the Superwalkers have always been 1:25,000 – they certainly have been for about a decade. It’s the British Mountain Maps series that were 1:40,000.

edit: answering the question, they’re great. Much clearer than OS on most terrain types and less extraneous info.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You don’t get confusing stuff like parish boundaries with Harveys.

gordimhor

Yes been using them for 20 years easy to read and tougher than the bog standard OS map

thenorthwind

I think the best thing about the Harvey’s maps is the shading to show gradients – it’s much easier to get an instant feel for the shape of the hills than with plain contours on an OS, especially where there are lots of features, e.g. forest, boundaries, etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use Harvey Superwalker maps?’ is closed to new replies.