Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone use a projector instead of a TV?
  • lightman
    Free Member

My old second hand TV has just died, and my choices are, another cheapish second hand TV (<£150) or try a cheapish projector.

My TV was 42″ and took up the whole corner in my flat, so I was thinking about using the white wall in front of me for the projector screen. I have used a friends white wall before and I am more than happy with how it looked.

So, has anyone gone from TV to projector and are happy with it?
    What sort of set up do you have?

thecaptain
    Free Member

We used a projector for about 10y, worked great but wouldn’t be so great if you want to watch a lot. It was expensive and mostly for films and DVDs. Needed a fairly dark room to work well. 100″ screen which rolled up when not in use (didnt have that much empty wall space) It’s a bit knackered (dim) and we have not replaced it, which maybe tells a story. Not that we have a TV either – use ipad/laptop/apple cinema display instead. Do miss the big screen for films though.

TiRed

We have an old Sony LCD projector beaming to a 108 inch electric screen. I picked them both up cheaply second hand (although a new bulb cost me £125 recently) . Behind it sits a 42 inch Pioneer plasma TV, both fed using an hdmi splitter. Whilst I seldom watch TV, it is nice to watch on the big screen. Rugby, F1 and films are my staple, gaming for the teens. It’s a big intrusion into the room compared with the TV, and you can’t really do anything else because of the light levels. If forced to choose, I’d probably choose a larger plasma TV, but we have another room with a smaller TV as well.

Still great to make the neeeeeeeowwwww!!! sounds inside the cockpit of a larger than life size F1 car though 😳

EDIT: btw the preferred wall tint for projection is not white, it’s grey

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, they are not that bright, so on a sunny day you have to close the curtains.
    They can be a bit slow to switch on or off, might take a minute or so to warm up.
    Also for projecting on a wall, don’t put it too high up. Otherwise you get a sore neck from looking up at it.

Got one here, don’t really use it for TV, but fun for games on the Wii, and nice for viewing photos.

maccruiskeen

I’ve got 5 DLP projectors kicking around the house, I think I’ve used one to watch a movie once or twice in the last 8 years. Its novel but thats about it, I actually find them distracting and even a bit tiring to watch for any extended amount of time and two daffy to switch on and off for casual telly viewing I don’t think they add a great deal to watching a film compared to a smaller, brighter, crisper (and quieter) TV and I can’t think of any benefit to watching telly on one

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve got a DLP projector (fairly modest Benq one with a Onkyo av amp and M&K 5.1 speakers) that mainly gets used for watching films – it’s great but it’s not what i’d choose to watch Antiques Roadshow on.

Mine projects onto a grey wall and gives a great picture but it does get a little washed out if the room isn’t darkish – but it’s elfin’ brilliant watching something like Interstellar when it’s 8ft wide.

And my 7 year old loves playing xbox Fifa on it.

skids
    Free Member

my mate used a projector as a TV until the lamp wore out after a few months and he realised how much it would cost to use as a tv

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a projector instead of a TV?’ is closed to new replies.