Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone use a mirror on the road.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I do a lot of road riding on my mountain bike and some of it, unfortunately, has to be on busy roads. I've had a number of rather near (and frightening) misses with cars lately and it's starting to worry me. I know that a mirror is probably going to look naff on a mountain bike but I wondered whether anyone uses one. Having bar ends fitted is going to exclude the use of the usual bar end plug-in mirrors but I have seen some that can be fitted pretty much anywhere (such as fork legs) and there are helmet mirrors too.

Jimbo
    Free Member

No. Listening, shoulder checks (aka "Lifesavers") and the odd look behind are sufficient.

redthunder
    Free Member

Yes.

But no more…. all off road now and cycle paths.

The helmets are quite good from Reeva.

and

Life Savers always…. drummed into me from motorbike days.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Did when I was 7. Not any more.

Hairychested
    Free Member

P Jay, get trained rather than relying on a piece of glass.

PJay
    Free Member

Well I certainly do all the safety checks and consider myself to be a fairly competent cyclist, so I'm not suggesting that I cycle like and idiot and cause near misses. There seems to be something about being a cyclist (perhaps the amount of space taken, or not, taken up) that encourages certain drivers to try things that they'd never consider trying if it was another vehicle.

I wouldn't be relying on a piece of glass either, it'd just be an additional tool.

gecko76

I use a helmet mirror for commuting. It's weird how quickly you get used to knowing exactly what's happening behind you rather than just a general impression based on engine note etc. I now expect to be able to see behind me all the time, like in supermarkets. 🙄

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm not suggesting you are incompetent, only that an experienced National Standard trainer who does level 3 training will probably pick up a few mistakes you make and help you become a better rider. It really works.
    Get on a buzzer and ring your council. Ask for cycle training for adults or find out if they can pick up the bill. Make sure, though, to choose an experienced one. If you were near I could help, Somerset is a bit far though. Good luck!
    BTW When I broke my mirrors on a motorbike a few years ago and rode it in London like that, I learnt to be more observant. Might be worth considering why a motorbiker does the life-saver and never satisfies himself with the mirror.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

only to check my eyeliner…

druidh
    Free Member

I used to – when I first started riding on the road – as I was always nervous when I heard a car passing me. After a while, I just stopped. I guess I just got used to it.

Road positioning is something to look at. "Owning" your lane rather than riding in the gutter will discourage drivers from trying t squeeze past you so much.

You can get mirrors which fold away into a neat-looking bar end. We actually have some in the shop at the moment.

PJay
    Free Member

Well I'm certainly not suggesting that I'm a perfect rider either – I did my Cyclying Proficiency course at school about 30/35 years ago and that's it, I don't driver either which limits my road training. Perhaps some training would help, it is odd I suppose that cyclists can just get in amongst the traffic without any training. Equally though I'm pretty certain though that there are situations out there that no amount of training will protect you from, I've seen some pretty bad driving.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think a mirror might be handy if you've got limited neck mobility to check what's behind when your moving into what a potential cars path would be, but if you've had near misses from cars whilst just riding along rather than turning right etc, then I don't think a mirror will help you. I.e if you see a car approaching to close from behind (and I suspect it's quite difficult to judge this in a mirror, but let's say you can), what would you do with this information?

StirlingCrispin

I used to – when I lived in the US.

The quiet but straight roads meant they were useful. Never found the need for one in the UK.

gee
    Free Member

No, no, no.

Use your eyes & ears.

GB

scaredypants

you'd be better off with a couple of feet of broomhandle sticking out to your right, preferably bearing a sign saying "is it too much to ask that you don't kill me on the way past?" or "I'm wearing a video camera – please smile as you're running me over"

blades2000
    Free Member

I used one while touring New Zealand on bike, very useful when the bike is fully loaded. The one i had fitted onto the bar end plug, i think you can see it in the photo on the link below.
    http://nicholasblades522.fotopic.net/p30366761.html

As has been said above positioning is for me more important.

never used one! Best tip I ever heard/read is from a study that reckoned apart from all the obvious benefits (avoiding punctures, puddles and having enough room to pull over if a motorist gets too close) is that the distance you leave between yourself and the kerb is typically the distance that a motorist will pass you.

failing that kick there wingmirrors off!!!!

x

Tracker1972
    Free Member

If you really want to look naff then get one of those orange flags that stick out with reflectors front and back. My Dad got me one when I was moaning about traffic cutting it fine when I used to cycle out along Middlewood road towards Stocksbridge in Sheffield. Surprisingly effective so it stayed for ages and came back out for Sustrans C2C where it did the trick again for my SO (I had a big orange trailer to help things avoid me).

antigee

yes when i'd kid on tag along or before that trailer – keep an eye on them and know what was trying to pass us or how far back traffic was for parkd cars etc

colande
    Free Member

by looking behind you indicates to other road users that you are planning on doing a manoeuvre of some kind,
    this means that they anticipate some action and thus creating space, slowing down etc,
    eye contact on the road is very important

geoffj
    Coleman
    Free Member

I use these on the road for training/commuting – simple, effective and discreet.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone use a mirror on the road.’ is closed to new replies.