Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • anyone use 1×10 on a road bike?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Getting a cross check and will be runnning it ss but thinking about doing a triathlon so possibly sticking some gears on there (already has 10 speed shifters hence 1×10) at some point

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry, I don’t.

As an aside, just struck me how roadies are happy to ride stock stuff that works rather than dick around with 1 x 10, 2 x 9 etc, as if any of it actually makes a difference, weight of a chainring etc.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah but maybe it’s more to with being able to accommodate lots of flats and lots of climbs? 52 and 39 can cope with quite a range of terrain and roadies don’t seem that keen on ss either

someone will be along shortly to tell us it’s so they can blast themselves regardless of what’s in front of them like the divine immortals they are

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think it’s because we like to ride our bikes like gods rather than tool around with insignificant nonsense.

fontmoss
    Free Member

tools and gods are words I often associate with roadies

speaker2animals

I ran my road bike 1×7 years ago for a year as I was a bit skint and needed some new parts. I kept the front mech on locked down centrally. Ran a 42 tooth ring against a 12-25. I was fit then though. Actually worked well and doubt I really missed the 52. But then I didn’t race. But in those days I could ride at 16 – 18mph average speed almost everywhere.

simondbarnes

roadies don’t seem that keen on ss either

Really? I see loads of roadies riding fixed in the winter.

1×10 has always seemed daft to me, much rather have a full range of gears or just one.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ll be doing it on my spare cross bike once thesearrive in stock. If it works well, I’ll do the same to my best bike.

I hardly ever use the little ring in road races (in the SE), it’s really just there to ride home on! I think a single ring makes sense on a tri bike if the course isn’t too hilly, lots of TTers ride a single ring.

markenduro
    Free Member

I run mine 1X8 but it is a tourer with an alfine. Just run what works for you and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing would be my advice…

fontmoss
    Free Member

Really? I see loads of roadies riding fixed in the winter.

ok fair point but there doesn’t seem to be the same fervour outside workhorse kit like mtb

not worried at all what others do simply whether there are any hurdles or issues people have encountered

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘anyone use 1×10 on a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.