Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Anyone run very wide bars on their trail bike?
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Rode an Orange Alpine 160 briefly round a car park the other day and it had 745mm bars on it which felt amazing.

Thinking of putting a pair on my 5 which currently has 690mm bars.

Anyone else using wide bars like these for UK trails? Thoughts please.

mr-bump
    Free Member

Yep! Spank 777 bars on my Orange 5.
    Get some very strange looks but i find them spot on for my style of riding.
    Tight trees can be a small issue though. 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run 760mm Nukeproof Warheads on my Heckler..

Complete with a 50mm stem it seems spot on..

I've just gone back to 20mm rise ones of these, and that feels even better..

lunge

Yep, I run 760mm on my P7. I intended to cut them down but they just seem to work for me. They can be a little tight in the trees but overall i really like them. Strangely, they are particually good in techy climbs where the leverage seems really useful.

lyons
    Free Member

I use 711 sublimes, perfect…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I'm running Reverse XXLs (760mm) – feel spot on, but as above, tight gaps between trees can be tricky 😉

GlennG
    Free Member

Run Nuke Proof risers cut down to 740mm on my Meta, handling is great and with 10mm chopped off each end I dont clip as many trees, seems to give more control over my old EA70's.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

totally agree with mr bump, have got some sunline wide bars on the patriot, feels so much better, thinking of getting them spank bars on the five in bling white! but yeh just watch out for tight tree sections! 🙂

imnotamused
    Free Member

Ok, Sunline V-one's 745mm low riser it is then 😀

lovewookie

World force 30" on my old cannondale hardtail. Got the grips set to 29" though as I'm still getting used to the extra width over my old 26" bars.

Bagstard
    Free Member

750mm on my DH and 711mm on my HT.

mildred

Yup, Spank 777's on my Orange Crush and Nicolai St. Very anti-social bars when group riding, and quite "interesting" on Follow the Dog.

mr-bump
    Free Member

Wide bars are handy for races! you simply cant pull over to let anybody past!! 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Aha, good to know 🙂
    I have the raceface atlas on my Remedy, 780 cut to about 760 now. Stock bars were 710. Really really stiff, and make you feel very stable

mr-bump
    Free Member

Prepare yorself for the 'They are too wide for XC' Brigade. i always seem to find them when out riding.

jam-bo

rode a DH bike with 780's (i think) on for the first time last week. hated every second of it, including the couple of trees I clipped.

I honestly can't see the benefit for a trail bike.

but then I ride flats/5:10's for everything which I regularly get told is wrong…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

not really a trail bike (29er SS) but…

760mm chromag bars have just been fitted

90mm stem will have to go though

goog
    Free Member

anything over 660 is just ghey

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm tempted, but equaly I like narrow flat bars sometimes for the opposite reason, they make you comit to a line as there isn't the leverage to do anything about it!

Think I'll stick to normal bars for now.

Rockplough
    Free Member

745mm here. I won't lie, I have knuckled a few trees but the rest of the time they're ace. I had 685mm before but found my hands were naturally settling so the heel of my palm was on the end of the grip. 745mm feels perfect.

kiwijohn

A mate has 800mm bars on his DH bike. He also has a broken little finger with 6 stitches from clipping a tree.
    685mm is fine by me thanks.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Would like to give it a bash – but around here would be a nightmare as all our riding is wooded singletrack…..

akira

Running Race Face Atlas at about 760mm, very nice and it's kinda fun buzzing trees, just makes you more attentive to line choice.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

put some sunline 745's on my orange five and reduced stem to 50 mm. Made a big improvement as to how bike handles, especially over techy stuff.

Tim
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member

Would like to give it a bash – but around here would be a nightmare as all our riding is wooded singletrack…..

You just have to perfect the wide bar shimmy 🙂

I run fairly wide and high bars (no idea how wide though) – gives me more confidence

coffeeking
    Free Member

What's a trail bike?

snowslave

nukeproof 760mm bars & shorter stem on my Orange 5. Going to run same on my Summer Season I think.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I'm with Mildred

Spank 777's on my 5 Spot

M6TTF
    Free Member

not a big fan of superwide bars – can't help but think people are just getting them as it's fashionable. my arms naturally fall comfortably at around 660 – 680mm so that's the bar width for me

momo

737mm Sunline V1s on my S-works HT with a 90mm stem, love them, felt really strange after 10 years or so riding 660mm bars, but wouldn't go back now.

_tom_
    Free Member

What advantages do wider bars have? Is it just a more stable feel compared to the twitchiness of narrower? Mine are only about 620mm wide at the minute I think.

momo

They offer more leverage iirc, however, for me it was as much of a comfort thing as I'm fairly broad shouldered and always found myself riding with the heel of my palm over the end of the bar.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Had sunline 745s but cut them down to 725 after catching the side slightly while jumping in between two tree stumps.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member

Same here. In fact I think we possibly ride the same trails. 745 was a little scary but 725 is fine.

louis1978uk
    Free Member

was running 680s but jumping and dual slalam i was twitchy as hell now race face 720s perfect control size weight the lot!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run very wide bars on their trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.