• This topic has 29 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone rooted/unlocked an android phone?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine is away being fixed but GF had an old Samsung but it needs unlocked. the 2 rooting programs I have tried both hung up mid-root. Is it worth perservering?

stumpy01

Not rooted but I bought a code for my HTC Desire for £3 from eBay to unlock it and it worked fine.

scaredypants

have a look on modaco or xda developers – they often have a means of doing it

muggomagic

In terms of rooting, clockworkmod do a tool kit for rooting most phones. For unlocking you will probably be best off getting your GF to phone the network and ask for the code.

MrNice
    Free Member

I rooted a couple of samsungs (s2 and s something mini). Since it worked first time both times I don’t have any experience of how to get over problems.

What model of old samsung is it?

zippykona

Stumpy,who was that? The 2 I’ve used took my money said they couldn’t do it and were a pain to get a refund from.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its an i5700 on three, not hers.

Codes are £10+!

MrNice
    Free Member

i5700 is pretty basic. There may not have been much development on rooting it as there’s usually more attention on more high end phones. time for a new phone?

Cougar

Rooting and unlocking are two different things. Which are you trying to do?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rooting in order to unlock.

MrNice try reading the OP.

sadexpunk

sorry cynic-al, but IMHO cougars right. you can unlock a phone that hasnt been rooted, and you can root a phone without unlocking it.

rooting just gives you the ‘access’ to the phones gubbins so you can do things with it you couldnt before, instal different ‘operating systems’ or ROMS, tweak settings, remove bloatware. it doesnt unlock the phone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know he’s right – the process I am trying to follow is to unlock the phone by rooting it.

Does anyone read posts anymore?

muggomagic

Whatever it is you’re trying to do, if it’s possible, you should find out how to do it on the XDA developers site. Everything I’ve wanted to do with an android phone I’ve learnt there.

Also found this on giff gaff site link

chrischim
    Free Member

I have used cyanogenmod successfully on a galaxy s1 but it is fully supported whereas the i5700 isn’t.
    Could try this:
    http://forum.samdroid.net/f28/how-spica-i5700-sim-unlock-free-4886/

Cougar

the process I am trying to follow is to unlock the phone by rooting it.

Care to link to this process?

stumpy01

zippykona – sorry, can’t remember who it was. And it was too long ago to check my purchase history.

It was one of the first results that came up, a really detailed page with loads of warnings about what it would and wouldn’t work on and how to get the imei number or whatever it was he needed to generate the code.

I bought it on a Sat evening at about 10pm and he’d mailed me the code by about 10:20! Worked fine…

riddoch

three don’t charge to unlock their handsets anymore. There’s either a form to fill in or a number to dial, you may need to have a three sim in at the time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OOh, ta Riddoch. Not my sim but I’ll try it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

the process I am trying to follow is to unlock the phone by rooting it.

Care to link to this process?

On 1st page of google “unlock asmsung i5700” IIRC.

Cougar

If you can’t be bothered to explain then I certainly don’t care sufficiently to google what you’re trying to do.

There are any number of things you can “unlock” on a phone, most of which have nothing to do with the carrier restriction. Hence, the reason I asked was to check that you hadn’t misunderstood something (reasonable if you’re asking for help) as it would be pointless helping you through rooting the phone if it wasn’t actually going to achieve what you thought it was.

If the phone is carrier locked, the best course of action 99% of the time is to contact the original provider and ask them to unlock it. No rooting, no hacking, no market traders, no codes off eBay, just ring Three.

But if you’ve got your “does no-one read any more” grumpy trousers on, then I’m out. Happy rooting.

soundb0y
    Free Member

I’m assuming he wants to root so can run his own network unlocking tool?

Otherwise simply rooting the phone won’t unlock the network.

unovolo
    Free Member

I rooted a HTC Hero to put Cyanogenmod on it, I used Clockwork unlockr on it which worked fine, it didn’t and wont network unlock it though.

Probably quicker and easier to just pay a couple of quid to one of the many ebay sellers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    But if you’ve got your “does no-one read any more” grumpy trousers on, then I’m out. Happy rooting.

That was aimed at sadexpunk (and subsequent others)

Where’s the unlock code for a couple of quid then?

MrNice
    Free Member

cynic-al – you could try explaining a bit (a lot) better. You gave me the “read the OP” thing but you seem to expect people to guess at the bits you don’t actually say. Assuming you mean this is all a short term thing while your phone is being fixed I can’t work out why you’re bothering. Why don’t you go and ride your bike instead? It’s a lovely day 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Ok in hindsight a unlock code is a little more than a few quid, however whether £8.50(cheapest I can see) is worth it is up to you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-UNLOCK-CODE-I5700-I9305-I9505-S5830-S5360-S5570-S5380-AT-T-T-Mobilie-USA-/141366599636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ea1b1fd4

sadexpunk

sorry if ive offended you, but after reading the OP again i still dont know why youre after rooting it when you want it unlocked.

ill bow out gracefully….. :-/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well it’s a 3 phone, I put a 3 sim in it, no signal 😐 I guess the sim may be dead.

MrNice – Member
    Assuming you mean this is all a short term thing while your phone is being fixed I can’t work out why you’re bothering. Why don’t you go and ride your bike instead? It’s a lovely day

I’ve no idea of the technicalities, I googled unlocking and several forums suggested a process starting with rooting the phone.

An android phone would be useful to me in the short term for various reasons (which is why I started the thread). why not go riding your bike instead of offering useless advice on forums? It’s a lovely day.

MrNice
    Free Member

I did a lovely 50 miles round the sunny peak, thanks. i’ll remember not to offer help in future 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s your problem? I only offered you the advice you offered me.

dobo
    Free Member

fwiw i had a sim free moto g

i had to unlock the bootloader before i could root it according to the tool instructions. To unlock the bootloader i had to contact motorola for a code (free but voids warranty), then i used some tools on xda forum, i think. the script only partially worked and installed recovery ok but failed to install SuperSu to root it. so had to do that bit manually, which was easy enough.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rooted/unlocked an android phone?’ is closed to new replies.