Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone ridden or owned a Commencal Meta HT Trail (Hardtail)?
  • warns74
    Free Member

Looking for a new hardtail for general trail riding and winter use. MBR have been reviewing the 650b version and there is a 29er variant too.

At just over 6’4″ the geometry looks good and with a 68deg head angle seems to fit the bill on paper, but other than that cant find too much else to go on.

Anyone, had one, seen one, ridden one?

Cheers

dannyh
    Free Member

You’ve opened that up too wide!

I have merely seen one – it looks absolutely awesome. The lad who rides it probably thinks I am stalking him as I have remarked twice about how good the bike looks.

Other than that, I don’t really know, but I wouldn’t expect it to have any rear triangle compliance at all as it is massively ‘built’ around the stays and seat tube.

Good vids on Vimeo as well………….

warns74
    Free Member

You’re probably right there but other than a few pictures and a couple of official videos on the Commencal site I’ve not been able to find much!

What colour/wheel size is the one you’re stalking?

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s very bright pink is all I can really say – I think it is the one that has a black head tube, but I’m not entirely sure.

The reason I say about the rear triangle is that your eyes are really drawn to how big and rigid the tube look – even taking into account the bright pink colour.

Other than that I know nothing, I’m afraid……

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve got a Meta HT – 650b, large, bright yellow, Revs, LB carbon wheels.

Love it, it’s an absolute riot.

With the steep seat angle it climbs surprisingly well, a 35mm/780mm cockpit combined with low/long/slack geo makes it super competent on the downs. In fact this bike made me sell my Spesh Enduro as it is that good!

Not sure if they’ve changed the geo but I thought it had a 66HA?

warns74
    Free Member

Thanks james, that looks great and I think you’ve summed up the appeal (albeit on paper for me!)

The 68 deg was from the 29er version, thinking about the frame only option and building one up in XL, chainstays are shortish too so looks like it could be good fun.

jamesfts
    Free Member

No problem, I took a gamble on the frame based purely on geometry and looks direct from Commencal when they were selling them off cheaply. Would recommend buying directly unless you can find a bargain in the UK.

It replaced a carbon 456 that I always felt rode like an xc bike but with a slackend HA (and overly stiff rear end!). Even with the carbon wheel the Meta is leagues ahead in terms of comfort despite the beefy looks and blows the 456 away on the downs.

rocketman
    Free Member

Looks dangerously similar to my trusty 2012 Ramones…

…which is a lot of fun and the size L suits me fine at 6’2″

mc
    Free Member

Meta HT is just a slight redesign of the Ramones, which was just a slight redesign of the original Absolut.
    All have pretty much the same geometry ignoring the variations to allow for different wheel sizes i.e. pretty short wheel base, slackish head angle, and steepish seat tube. Makes for a nice chuckable/manouverable bike in the air/on descents, and still climbs pretty well. Certainly not ideal if you like big days out in the saddle, but ideal for those who’re more interested in fun on the descents.

I’ve had 2 Absoluts, and still have my Ramones, although I think I’m going to have to finally concede and move up a wheel size, and a Meta HT is top of the list for a new hardtail.

prawny

I had a go on the one my mate built, it was nice, but throttled by too narrow bars on his.

He sold it shortly after because he’s old and used to full sussers, if have had it but it was far to bling for my wallet.

nicksar
    Free Member

I had the 26 version which I rode twice and then had issues with the XFUSION Velvet forks which Chain reaction repaired but came back still faulty after 8 weeks. It was great when I had it but I got my money back in the end, couldn’t deal with CR again. Shame as it’s a great bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden or owned a Commencal Meta HT Trail (Hardtail)?’ is closed to new replies.