Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • anyone ridden a slopestyle type bike on trails?
  • supafly
    Free Member

I can currently get a great deal on a 2010 Kona Bass which is a slopestyle oriented bike.

I’m thinking of using the bike for some short local trails which I will pedal to. Is this a bad idea? I like a shorter, more trickable bike so think it will be a fun bike, at the price.

Am I missing something? Will it be a terrible pedaler? Is it too short for trail?

Opinions please!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Guess it depends on your height – I’m only 5’2″ 😕 . I’ve owned a couple of Kona Cowan DS bikes (the predecessor to the Bass) previously, both run singlespeed and I currently have Cove Hooker singlespeed as my main ride – cracking litle bikes. The Bass and Cowan have a concentric BB pivot which I’m told compromises pedalling but I can’t say I noticed any problems.

Superficial
    Free Member

That genre of bike has fallen to the wayside a bit since you can now get a 160mm travel bike with minimal weight penalty over a more traditional XC/trail bike. I.e. You can get a hard-hitting bike that isn’t a complete dog to ride up a hill. I wouldn’t bother with the Kona because I know I’d get frustrated with the weight/dullness of it – if you want a short travel play-about bike, why not a hardtail?

supafly
    Free Member

Yip agreed Superficial, I was actually on the lookout for a hardtail when I came upon the Kona, I figured at the same pricepoint, why not have some travel in the rear? The weight isn’t actually that bad, I think it’s around 27lbs and it’s a 9 speed.

iolo
    Free Member

See if you can demo one. Take it for a blast round your local trails. If you don’t enjoy the experience buy a bike more suited to your needs.

supafly
    Free Member

It’s a 2010 bike iolo, so used only, no demos available 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

Ok, ask whoever is selling for a go.1 hour’s ride should tell you what you meed to know.
    If they’re serious about selling I’m sure that shouldn’t be a problem.

supafly
    Free Member

Yes I have tried, unfortunately he said no because of “previous bad experiences”.

Fair enough really, if I damaged it, it would be an awkward situation.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I ride a commercial absolutely sx on my local trails. Was more of a meens to an end as I wanted to build a longish travel full suss with alfine and no chain tensioner. Was the only frame that ticked all the boxes…. bb pivot, sliding dropouts etc.

Drawbacks are weight (it’s made of super thick ali), short seat tube, not the best peddler due to pivot location.

But length is fine in a long, I’m 5’9. The weight does mean it’s bomb proof and planted so I use it for more aggressive trails and the odd bike park. The short seat tube is easily remedied with a 150mm dropper seat post. The peddling is much improved with a firm tune fox rp23.

All in all the Drawbacks are worth it I reckon for silent, maintenance free, hardcore winter smashing.

supafly
    Free Member

what is the weight of your comencal ndthornton?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve also had a commencal absolute sx, I bloody loved that bike but it was just a bit too short and a bit too heavy. If I could afford to run more bikes I’d have another for short fun rides

ndthornton
    Free Member

what is the weight of your comencal ndthornton?

I think its about 35lb
    I have just bought some second hand revs to put on it instead of the ancient Z1’s I have at the moment. They are a lot lighter.
    Also the Alfine is a bit heavy

cloudnine
    Free Member

I ride a dartmoor shine.. Its a great playful bike.
    It has a short seat tube so i can only just get away with having a long seat post in it for pedalling.

Its now 10 speed with no chain device and has 150mm revs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘anyone ridden a slopestyle type bike on trails?’ is closed to new replies.