Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ran taller/bigger tyres on 26 wheels in a 650b frame?
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve been steadily upgrading my bike. I now have 650b Fox and a 650b Commencal Meta V4. I currently run 2.25 Maxxis Butcher front and 2.25 Ardent rear on my 26’er Hope wheels. Cosmetically scarred but shedloads of life yet. I personally value them higher than you can buy cheap replacements for.

I’ve got a 2.4 HR II in the shed- stick that on the front and run a 2.4 Ardent on the rear. That ‘could’ lift my bike enough diameter-wise to bridge the gap between my 26’er to a standard 27.5 someway? This’d avoid having to change wheels just yet? Afterall cosmetically they aren’t in the best but physically they are far from done. Any new wheels I buy will instantly look like my current ones.

Or just bite the bullet as the frame will excel in its proper setup? (It aint struggling now). With taller/volume if the gap is so small, why not try?)

With this I can then save up for some proper wheels 😀

transporter13
    Free Member

Im on a 2013 yt wicked with 26″ lyrik rc2dh….still on 26″ with no plans to go 27.5 at all
    Schwalbe hans dampfs pretty much fill the gaps anyway as I only have about a half inch gap from the top of the tyres to my frame.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve got an Ardent 2.4 in the back of my 26 inch HT at the moment, it is massive so may do the job you want from it….but then again a 650b 2.4 Ardent on a 27.5 rim would be bigger still so you’re never going to truly match the size of a 650b wheel with a properly large 650b tyre if you see what i mean!

What you’re doing is fine by the way despite my gentle ribbing, mud clearance is awesome and loads of the top guys at the horribly muddy Mega last year switched to 26 inch rims in their 27.5 bikes to allow for mud clearance.

I’ve spent most of my time on a 26 inch HT this year and so far the largest tyre i’ve used is a 2.35 Schwalbe Magic Mary…larger than a 2.5 Minion, larger than a 2.4 Ardent etc…i reckon with those front and back in your 650b Meta you’d be laughing….they wouldnt look far off proper 650b wheels in there.

CRC were doing them in 26 variety for just £25 a few weeks ago….proper Snakeskin sidewalls, Trailstar compound etc..i bought a couple, my 26 inch HT now looks like a tractor with them on, they’ll be going back on for FoD uplift duties next week!

hora
    Free Member

Magic Mary ‘Evo’ Snakeskin ordered 😀

zero-cool
    Free Member

26+. Stop, you’re ahead of what the Bike Companies have planned. It was meant to be 650b 2 years ago, Fatties last year, 27.5+ this year and you have to wait until next year for 26+. You’ll start the craze early and ruin their master plan.

Specialized hit squad will be singing their way to you as we speak.

wwaswas
    akira

I’m running 2.75″ dirt wizards on my 45650b, with lyriks on the front. Clearance is not too bad even with 35mm rims.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ran taller/bigger tyres on 26 wheels in a 650b frame?’ is closed to new replies.