Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Anyone prefer books to Kindles?
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

I just wait for the movie.

mefty
    Free Member

I was given a Kindle a couple of years ago, it is filled with classics which are out of copyright (downloaded with Calibre). It’s great it fits easily into a coat pocket so I have always got something to read and I don’t need my reading glasses. Still use the library and must look into whether they do ebooks.

We are lucky enough still to have a local independent bookshop and when I was last talking to them they were of the opinion that the take-up of ebooks had tailed off and business was still quite rosy for physical books.

Solo
    Free Member

mefty – Member
    We are lucky enough still to have a local independent bookshop and when I was last talking to them they were of the opinion that the take-up of ebooks had tailed off and business was still quite rosy for physical books.

Yes, very lucky.

Co-existence; Electronic readers/books/whatever, won’t replace the original book. It’s just that now there’s additional choice of physical format, for those who like to read. Horses for courses, etc.

mefty
    Free Member

If I was an author and I thought people valued my work differently depending on the medium it was printed on; or if I thought people were even aware of what it was printed on whilst reading it, I’d consider myself a complete failure!

A few of my friends make a living as authors, I don’t think you understand the joy and satisfaction that they obtain when they see the physical manifestation of their labour.

franki
    Free Member

Books for me.
    They look better lined up on the shelf, smell better and give you something tangible for your money. I spend too long looking at screens already.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Mefty – Can you run calibre along side a normal amazon library?

I prefer my Kindle for ease of use.

I travel by foldy bike and train to work and this makes life a lot easier.

It takes up less space in my bag and it’s easier to slip in to a pocket if i need to move which i frequently do due to the bike.

a good case is essential and the amazon own one is excellent.

The cost of up to date books is horrific though.

aracer
    Free Member

Calibre simply converts e-books to the right format (and removes DRM if necessary in order to do so) and then uploads them to your Kindle. So they appear on your device in exactly the same place as books you’ve bought – I have both on mine. It’s a PC app in case you hadn’t realised – I download library books using Adobe Digital Editions which it then converts.

BTW I’m not sure you need Calibre to get out of copyright books for free – I’m fairly sure I found some on the standard Amazon library (I have Robinson Crusoe, 39 Steps and Call of The Wild on mine which I think came from there – really should get round to reading them!)

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Thanks Aracer, thats good to know!

the-muffin-man

I just wait for the movie.

[on tenterhooks]When is the Haynes 2003-2010 Ford Focus CMax Manual movie coming out![/on tenterhooks]

🙂

mefty
    Free Member

Yes what Aracer said, I think if you were naughty you could even associate your kindle with a mate’s amazon account temporarily and then copy the books from the kindle to calibre so you can borrow them.

There are free ones on Amazon, but they can be a bit annoying like not having every book of a series etc, calibre searches all the big sources

dangh
    Free Member

Kindle is better to handle if you want to read outdoors, for instance, under the sun, also, if the book is way too heavy for you to hold it for long hours. But surely books in their classic shape are much more about the reading, the cover art, typography, even coffee stains, I develop some infatuated memories upon them. All in all, depends what you are looking for, I would rather handle a kindle whilst I’m sitting in a cafe

robdob
    Free Member

I’d love to try a Kindle but all the books I want to read don’t seem to be available to download (old sci-fi stuff).

For any book lover please make a trip to Hay-on-Wye one day – oh. My. Word. I spent a day there but could spend a week and many hundreds of pounds on proper books!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d love to try a Kindle but all the books I want to read don’t seem to be available to download (old sci-fi stuff).

Have you looked? There is a hell of a lot of old stuff on there for 79p a time.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Anyone prefer books to Kindles?’ is closed to new replies.